R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossible replacement for the A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible replacement for the A/C
    Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:44pm

Still checking out options.  Confused  Partially because I'm hesitant to buy a window A/C, rip it half apart and then figure out how to mount it on the tongue, I've been considering using a portable unit like the link below.  Only mods needed would be a 4-inch hole in a wall or floor for exhaust and water drain.  I don't think I want to route the exhaust out a window since it couldn't be locked.

The BIG question of course in the confines of a pod (specifically the 171) - where the heck would I put this thing?  It would be easier if there were only 2 of us.  I could replace the table with something smaller and put it between the benches, but we have 4 and most of the time the dinette is in bed mode.  It is about 1 foot by 1 foot by a little over 2 feet high not including the tube coming out of the rear.  One possibility is to place it on the dinette bed during the day, since that is out of the way, then move it to the floor in front of the door overnight.  If we need to go out to grab something we forgot there would be enough room to slide by.  If there is an emergency and everyone needs to pile out fast it could just be shoved out the door.  A pain to move it twice a day, but at just under 50 pounds it would be doable.

Any other suggestions?  Our Dometic dripped inside again this past weekend and it is really ticking me off.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Heating-Cooling-Air-Quality-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbv64/R-202562960/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 6:44am
    For a short time we owned a I-camp and it had a AC unit if I remember correctly, called a Cool Cat. I believe they used the same units in the larger discontinued Tab campers. Maybe that would work if there is the space for it. It is built for RV use with a wall mount thermostat.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 10:29am
We were very close to buying a icamp camper.  I really liked the way it was built and had many different and neat features.  It did have a Cool Cat 2-in-1 A/C and Heat Pump unit built in.  We went back and forth with a dealer in Pa and NJ but never could pin down a fair price.  My worry was there were very few units imported from China.  I also wanted to buy American.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 10:53am
Looks like the Cool Cat isn't available, I looked at Dometic's web site.  I found the manual for it and a good picture elsewhere.  It appears to have the same form factor as a window A/C but is designed to sit entirely within the camper (not sticking out like a window A/C). 
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 3:06pm
Not sure of the layout of your Pod, but what if you found a unit short enough to fit in the storage space under your dinette or bed? You could run a duct off the front of it and into the living area, and then cut a hole through the floor for a duct to vent out the heat. The only trouble (other than finding a short enough unit) would be extending the controls into the living area, or finding one with a remote (and possibly extending the IR receiver into the living area).
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 5:00pm

Note sure they make them low-and-long, they all appear to be narrow-and-tall.  Good idea so I'll keep my eyes open, although that would take up that storage space which we always use but I could work around that.

Edit:  I just looked at everything Home Depot has and they do have two models that are shorter @ about  1 1/2 feet each.  Probably still too high to fit that space, I think it is about a foot high.  Plus they are big units at 13000 btu, I'm looking for 5000-7000.  I wonder if it would fit under the bed.

Edit 2: I just measured and there are about 15 inches under the dinette, under the benches and the table, in bed mode.  There are about 16 1/2 inches under the queen bed.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 9:25pm

One more mini-split option I just found which will run on 120 volts.   Not as good SEER rating - 22 - as the Mitsubishi mentioned a few pages back, but the Mitsu needs 240 volts.  I've heard reports that the Sanyo (my first post) is out of production, which was the best 120 volt option.

http://www.appliancesconnection.com/friedrich-m09ch-i182185.html?ref=froogle

Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 4:13pm
Well you are probably on to something that RV manufacturers will be considering in the future.  I am familiar with these units, my son does HVAC work.  After Katrina, some of the small trailers or Katrina Cottages had these units.  They regularly blow thermistors or something like that. 

We have had discussions on how builders could save money for homeowners by using these types of units.  They are very popular in parts of Europe and Asia where electric costs are higher. 

But, all that being said, a pair of noise canceling headphones, or even ear plugs is a lot cheaper. 

Plus...  what do you do with the hole in your roof?  Skylight.. or periscope port? 
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 7:58pm

An additional note about the mini-split I just posted about, while its SEER rating is worse than the Mitsu, it is far better than the Sanyo from my very first post on this thread.  So an advantage if you don't want to tie yourself to 50 amp big-rig sites all summer which you would need if you installed the Mitsu.

Thinker, the hole used for the roof A/Cs is the same size as the standard roof vents, so it would be easy to swap in a vent to fill the hole.  Not sure I would install an additional fan since the one in the bathroom is more than enough for the pod.

Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by techntrek

One more mini-split option I just found which will run on 120 volts.   Not as good SEER rating - 22 - as the Mitsubishi mentioned a few pages back, but the Mitsu needs 240 volts.  I've heard reports that the Sanyo (my first post) is out of production, which was the best 120 volt option.

http://www.appliancesconnection.com/friedrich-m09ch-i182185.html?ref=froogle

The SEER changes depending on how many heads are in use.  So if you buy a two head unit that gives you 22 SEER, but only use one head your rating will be higher.  Like maybe 34 or something. The outside condenser SEER is rated for the total load.  In fact most manufacturers give you a chart for the SEER depending on number of heads in use.

But, does SEER matter when on campground power?
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>