R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossible replacement for the A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible replacement for the A/C
    Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 12:48pm
These are single-room units, so the SEER rating is absolute.  A high SEER doesn't mean much on the grid, no.  However, off-grid these mini-splits would be able to run from 1000 watt generators, instead of the usual 2000 or 2400 watt models.  Between weight and gas savings that is pretty big. 

The very low energy useage of the 26 SEER Mitsu would even allow it to run from an inverter and 6 batteries for two nights @ 8 hours each night (something called the Peukert effect helps to make this possible).  You would need 8-10 to run the 22 SEER model, and probably two dozen to run the standard RV A/C.  6 batteries is actually doable for a weekend getaway to a primitive park that doesn't allow genset use overnight.  Assuming you wanted to buy 6 deep cycle batteries.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by techntrek

These are single-room units, so the SEER rating is absolute.  A high SEER doesn't mean much on the grid, no.  However, off-grid these mini-splits would be able to run from 1000 watt generators, instead of the usual 2000 or 2400 watt models.  Between weight and gas savings that is pretty big. 

The very low energy useage of the 26 SEER Mitsu would even allow it to run from an inverter and 6 batteries for two nights @ 8 hours each night (something called the Peukert effect helps to make this possible).  You would need 8-10 to run the 22 SEER model, and probably two dozen to run the standard RV A/C.  6 batteries is actually doable for a weekend getaway to a primitive park that doesn't allow genset use overnight.  Assuming you wanted to buy 6 deep cycle batteries.

Before I loaded all those batteries I would get this:

And this
And this

Mine will run 36  hours on one filling.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 3:44pm
Like I said, that won't work in a park that doesn't allow genset use overnight.  The batteries are for after-hours stealth.  Between that and the very low noise level of the mini-splits you could be camped next to tenters and they might not even know your A/C is on.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 5:43pm
  OK, this is what you need to do. I saw this at the KC RV Show this spring, I don't remember the manufacturer of the small trailer that was about the same size as the R-POD but I had to step back just to make sure that what I was looking at was right.
   This trailer used a little window A/C unit built in a box so when you wanted to use it you had to open a door on the outside to vent the heat from the condenser coils. On the inside it looked just like any unit that you could pick up at Home Depot.
   Therefore I figure that seeing how you have a 171 you could get a little unit and build a box that would fit above the microwave or above the TV just above the sink. Cut a hole on the outside the size of the box and frame it like the rear storage doors.  This way othere campers would not know about your A/C unit as it does not stick out of the side of the trailer like some of the Redneck Mods you might see elsewhere.  Big smile
   See problem solved, room A/C in the room.   Goose
     And a whole lot less noise.
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Goose

OK, this is what you need to do. I saw this at the KC RV Show this spring, I don't remember the manufacturer of the small trailer that was about the same size as the R-POD but I had to step back just to make sure that what I was looking at was right.
   This trailer used a little window A/C unit built in a box so when you wanted to use it you had to open a door on the outside to vent the heat from the condenser coils. On the inside it looked just like any unit that you could pick up at Home Depot.
   Therefore I figure that seeing how you have a 171 you could get a little unit and build a box that would fit above the microwave or above the TV just above the sink. Cut a hole on the outside the size of the box and frame it like the rear storage doors.  This way othere campers would not know about your A/C unit as it does not stick out of the side of the trailer like some of the Redneck Mods you might see elsewhere.  Big smile
   See problem solved, room A/C in the room.   Goose
     And a whole lot less noise.

Was it a "Camp Lite" per chance? that is how they do their smaller campers. We are kind of looking at 21RBS.. (It has roof top air)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 8:56pm
I did consider mounting a window unit through the front wall at floor level, where it would be completely below the bed when the dinette was in bed mode.  It would require a fan to circulate the air.  Not sure there would be enough vertical room above the microwave, which is a shame because it is otherwise almost perfect - wide enough, up high, central, easy access to electric.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 2:48pm
Furpod I think that it was a Camp Lite. I remember thinking that it might be alot less to mess with, besides it was hidden away. When the fan bearings wear out and get noisey, it gets tossed and slide a new one in from Home Depot.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 1:08pm
Just read about the Coleman Polar Cub, 9200 BTUs, 1225 to 1450 watts, low profile.  The BTU rating would be a great match for the pods.  Theoretically the lower BTU would also mean a lower fan speed inside, therefore making it quieter.  Not cheap though.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 1:22pm
Looks like $650 or so from the place I order from. That is assuming the curent thermostat works with it.. if not add $45.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 6:13pm
Yeah, not cheap, but at least a drop-in solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>