R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossible replacement for the A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible replacement for the A/C
    Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 9:17pm
A note that Kickstart was looking at the Polar Cub on this thread, I'll be curious at the real-world review.  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3577&KW=&PID=34056&title=took-a-chance-and-had-an-a-c-installed 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 10:40pm
TNT, you're probably not going to get much help from me for awhile. We got the Polar Cub in anticipation of our big trip next year. We haven't had the A/C, as I said, because we seldom have the need for one up here in Western Washington. We've always planned our trips to the hotter regions of Eastern WA and Oregon for the spring and fall.

That being said, it got down right balmy here today @65 degrees. I left the Pod closed up, and it got fairly warm inside. Turned on the Polar Cub to see how it would do, and it cooled nicely and fairly quickly. Again, as noted before, it seems much quieter than I remember our previous Dometics and 13.5 Coleman--especially quiet on low. It ran fine on 110 house current. I haven't hooked up to my Yamaha RF2000is inverter/gen to try to run the A/C, but there are a ton of online reports of people finding this combo to work well, even at pretty good elevations.

The Polar Cub is listed as low rise, but it is an inch or so higher than the Penguin, but the difference is noticeable. Although it doesn't look as out of place as some of the standard height A/C's from Dometic and Coleman certainly would. Kinda like mounting an old fashioned bee hive on the top of a Pod.

Sorry, I can't help you out more. If we get an odd hot streak this summer, I'll try to give a more definitive report.

P/S We have the ceiling controls, as that's what we're used to and didn't want to pay the extra to have the Cub wired into the Pod's wall thermo.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 11:09pm
TNT, here's another FYI. I just went out, hooked up the Yamaha, and lit up the Polar Cub. It ran fine on the Yamaha, then I added the fridge on 110, still no problem, and then I switched the Yamaha to ECO Mode and it did fine. I twisted the cooling dial up and down on the A/C to force it to cycle, and this kicked the Yamaha out of ECO Mode, but it still worked fine and then went back to ECO. Keep in mind it's about 60 degrees out, and I sit here on the coast at about 4' above sea level just waiting for the next West Coast Tsunami. I would have turned all of my lights on, but they're all LED's and wouldn't have added much to the load.

Sooo, initial good news for anyone with a Honda or Yamaha 2000 that's interested in a Polar Cub.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 8:51am
Definitely good news so far.  The noise level inside is one of my bigger concerns, so if you happen to camp near another pod with the Dometic and can do a side-by-side test listen I would appreciate it.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:07pm
Update, I recently read about the Coleman Mach 8, which has the same btus as the Polar Cub but it is 2 inches shorter.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 10:25pm
A quick note that I've now done 5 things which has finally quieted my A/C down, somewhat.

1. Tightening the mounting bolts on the blower motor.  I did this last year when I cleaned the coils, and again today (one came completely out, since last summer, oddly).  Minor improvement in vibration.
2. Removing the "heat strip" option, which was a huge block in the air flow.  Mine didn't come wired up anyway, and we prefer a cube heater, so out it came.
3. Used metal tape to cover the inside of the plastic tube at the air output, at the recommendation of someone here (sorry, don't remember who).  
4. Removed the safety guard at the end of the plastic tube at the air output.
5. Moved the wire bundle out of the way of the air input.
Julia1961 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 12:00am
Do you have the suburban ac unit in yours, I have the model 173, and had trouble with it cutting off in the middle of the night when it was plugged in to 30 amp shore power. ? Seems like the temp in the pod and the thermostat are not functioning together. When dome is up and small fan is hooked up outside for my guests in the middle of the night it is like the breaker in the pod kicks in and shuts off air. I am all so new to this so maybe you can shed some light on the subject. Any feedback will be appreciated.
JuliaSmile
The Vintage Glamper
Lilly Pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 8:58pm
I have a Dometic, I believe.  I'm not sure I understand your problem.  Does the circuit breaker in the converter trip, and you must reset it to get the A/C on again?
Julia1961 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 10:37pm
Yes I have to push the button on the plug it pops.
The Vintage Glamper
Lilly Pod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 9:31am
It is the breaker, or the GFCI outlet?
 It sounds like the GFCI from your description. My guess is, since it only happens when this fan is running, that it is a problem with it. The a/c and outside receptacle are on the same circuit sometimes. Try running an extension cord from the pedestal 15/20 plug under the pod and plugging all your dome accessories in to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>