R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoisture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moisture
    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:10am
There is lots of moisture in my RPOD around the upper corners of my ceiling.  Of course it is around 45 outside and around 65 inside.  What are people doing to minimize the moisture build up inside.  Note it is also raining outside. 

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 5:42am
Most likely a result of the reaction of breathing and being in a small enclosed area.  What we do to minimize this is when we sleep is to keep both windows on opposite sides of the bed open about 1/4" for cross ventilation.  Also do the same with the fantastic fan - open the lid about 1/2", enough for air to pass through but not enough for the fan to kick on.  We still observe a small amount of condensation on the rear window, but greatly minimized due to fresh air ventilation.  If the observed condensation remains unacceptable the fan is turned on to reduce this issue even more.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:38am
+1. Also try to reduce or eliminate any sources of moisture in the trailer. Those include a wet shower, pots of water left on the stove, damp towels, the stove burners themselves (water vapor is a combustion product) , etc. Get everything dried up and ventilate the trailer with the fan for a bit to remove the warm moist air. Then allow the furnace to reheat things.

One other thing I’ve done a couple of times is to run the a/c and heater at the same time, that acts like the defog setting in your car and dries things out quickly. Not sure if that’s possible on the newer trailers with the integrated thermostats.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
SailorDude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 11:16pm
Keeping the vent open and the fan running on the lowest setting has helped out a lot.  Yes our trailer has had a lot of wet things in it this past week.  It has rained over 4 inches in the last few days.   Also now that we are plugged into power and using the electric heater, instead of propane that seems to help.  Opening the windows when it is raining is really not an options, unless the window is downwind.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 5:21am
All sounds good. If you were using the propane furnace then that shouldn’t be putting any additional humidity into the trailer. The exhaust gasses are vented outside (better be!). If you were using a non vented catalytic propane heater inside then yes that will put more water vapor in the room. So will the stove.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:38am
Good to hear of your progress/success thus far.  Yes, when you have a lot of wind it can be testy finding what window (s) to open; similar to sitting near a smoking campfire - seems like the smoke is usually blowing in your face regardless of where you sit! 
God's pod
'11 model 177
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:25am
If I was a wisea$$ I'd say just do what we do...camp in Colorado where the humidity is often below 20%, but of course I'm not, so I won't.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:57am
Even in your amazing and spectacular state moisture was a problem for us as we were there nearly a month in September, much of it in RMNP.  Breathing happens as well as temps that were often in the low to mid 40's at night so it became our ritual to open a couple of windows as well as the FF vent, w/o running the fan - and problem was nearly totally resolved.
God's pod
'11 model 177
Sandy & Kenny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 5:21pm
2016 r-pod 179 I have the moisture problem around the ceiling at the wall. Any suggestions on how to repair the ceiling damage. I have sealed the roof great looks like damage cause by inside moisture. To prevent from now will run vent fan on low

Sandy & Kenny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 5:29pm
2016 r-pod 179 I have the moisture problem around the ceiling at the wall. Any suggestions on how to repair the ceiling damage. I have sealed the roof great looks like damage cause by inside moisture. To prevent from now will run vent fan on low

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>