R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Winter Traveling Advice from Washington To Arizona
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter Traveling Advice from Washington To Arizona

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Traveling Advice from Washington To Arizona
    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Originally posted by Pod_Geek

You are in the running for "The Most Interesting Man In The World".

You mean like the Dos Equis ad guy? I certainly hope not. šŸ˜±Good beer though. ... 

Stay thirsty my friend.

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

You mean like the Dos Equis ad guy? I certainly hope not. šŸ˜±Good beer though.

Everyone has different interests and skills. Most non-technical folks think Iā€™m pretty boring.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by offgrid

...But after 40 years solar design is getting pretty boring, so Iā€™m also considering a small micro hydro install. Dam construction, penstocks and Pelton wheels. A new technology to learn.... 

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:44am
Thanks all for your kind thoughts. Each of us and our families must find our own path in these difficult and sometimes pretty crazy times. Mine has been similar to mcarterā€™s. We have finally gotten moved over to the little ā€œfarmā€ we bought last summer. So I have a nearly infinite number of projects to plan and do here, we wouldnā€™t be considering camping adventures right now even without the pandemic. Currently Iā€™m working on plans for my renewable energy system, which will of course be primarily solar based. But after 40 years solar design is getting pretty boring, so Iā€™m also considering a small micro hydro install. Dam construction, penstocks and Pelton wheels. A new technology to learn.

All the best wishes to everyone in this community.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 6:18pm
Very enlightening post.  The thread as always has been answered appropriately and the status of the pandemic handled with sincere comment.  I sympathize deeply with those who have suffered a loss.  Personally I pulled off the trail last SEP, mainly due to health concerns and have spent the time since with the ol' Pod in building doing spruce up and maintenance chores.  Not happy but best for me.  I appreciate being a member here  BIG HOOAH to y'all.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 3:16pm
If your planned route is taking you to or thru Carlsbad, that is only a sliver of NM and about 110 miles...then back into west Texas until you pass thru El Paso. 

There is BLM and National Forest land all over NM...but of course BLM land has no facilities or hookups in most places unless you find the occasional campground located on BLM land....which is kinda rare. This time of year I would not plan on staying in any of the national forests in NM unless you are very self sufficient when and IF a winter snowstorm hits.

rļ½„pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

We leave tomorrow. Destination unknown, except south and warmer weather. 

On the off-chance that your southwesterly meanderings bring you thru the Texas Panhandle (near Amarillo and Lubbock) and you want to stop and rest, I have a 30 amp hookup I make available to travelers. I am also listed on Boondockers Welcome.

This is not a scenic destination but rather a place to stay for a night or two, especially if there are winter storms predicted in New Mexico. 

Since the state parks in NM are currently closed to 'fereners'...it might come in handy for someone transiting the southwest. 

Travel safe, whichever route you take....

Fatata in the oven and another break.. Checking updates and saw this! Packed of most but items that could freeze.. that's tomorrow am.. 

I do think LA is going to be the tell all for us, can we (yes right now) or can't we. TX is seems a clear sail and thank you for the offer. I'm watching NM as we will need to rest somewhere and hoped for BLM outside of Carlsbad. Even with that the jump across NM is long, yet if required, doable. NM is amongst the remaining quarantine states.  Was hoping for White Sands again, we shall see.

I have a backup plan in place and have permits in place. That does not mean they will not be rejected/changed/removed due to what can or will happen. I'm just saying, they're in place.

I have no idea what will occur, yet will continue to live my life to it's fullest.

Safe travels!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

We leave tomorrow. Destination unknown, except south and warmer weather. 

On the off-chance that your southwesterly meanderings bring you thru the Texas Panhandle (near Amarillo and Lubbock) and you want to stop and rest, I have a 30 amp hookup I make available to travelers. I am also listed on Boondockers Welcome.

This is not a scenic destination but rather a place to stay for a night or two, especially if there are winter storms predicted in New Mexico. 

Since the state parks in NM are currently closed to 'fereners'...it might come in handy for someone transiting the southwest. 

Travel safe, whichever route you take....

rļ½„pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:13pm
Whoa! 
Took a break from packing and dropped back in to add some other links if traveling or about to fairly soon that I have gained from other forums I belong to (and last minute checking from sources out there now).

I drop back again as things cool down a bit here... We leave tomorrow. Destination unknown, except south and warmer weather. 

Safe travels!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:07pm
Our nephew's birth father was (I think) the first covid death in California back in February or March (I forget the actual date, but he was the guy that had it on the cruise ship to Mexico). Since then, we've had 4 more deaths in our circle of friends; one my wife's best friend's mother died from covid this last Sunday. It is nothing to mess with I can assure you.

My condolences and sympathies to all those who have been affected.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>