R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtrailer marker light doesn't work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer marker light doesn't work
    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 7:18am
Hi all,
This our first trip in our 2015 Rpod 179. Our left marker light doesn't work. But the light works as a running and brake light. Our tow vehicle marker works fine. Any ideas of how this signaling is failing?
Traveling today, so would love quick ideas!!!
Thanks!!
Lynn
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 8:21am
Don't really understand your post because the taillight and brake light is one fixture with one bulb that has 2 filaments in the bulb on the rear of the RPod one in each lower corner (right and left) the marker lights (are powered when the trailer is hooked up to the tow vehicle and its driving lights are on) are on both sides of the trailer one in the front (amber) and one in the rear (red) and maybe you have 3 red marker lights on the the above the rear window located on the air spoiler.  Also there should be marker lights on each fender.  If you are talking about one of the marker lights on the side of the trailer brake light power does not go to that light.  The running lights power may have become disconnected or the bulb is burnt out to that side light.  You have to investigate it and not sure about the fixture on your trailer but on mine (2019) the light cover just pops off to expose the bulb and that is where I would start.  Hope this helps
Jay

179/2019
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 8:43am
I have had mine have all the running lights work but turn signal doesn't....usually the flasher blinks much faster.  My 7 wire connector also has a 4 wire plug.  When I reseated the four wire connector the turn signal works.  My Escape actually gives you a warning when either turn signal or brake lights are working.  I would check all your vehicles trailer wiring for a loose connection.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by pedwards2932

I have had mine have all the running lights work but turn signal doesn't....usually the flasher blinks much faster.  My 7 wire connector also has a 4 wire plug.  When I reseated the four wire connector the turn signal works.  My Escape actually gives you a warning when either turn signal or brake lights are working.  I would check all your vehicles trailer wiring for a loose connection.
Confused
Your 7 wire connector also has a 4 wire plug? Are you using a 4-wire connector on your Escape? If so, how in the world are you operating the brakes. I had to install a 7-wire connector on the Escape we had. Please clarify.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 11:35am
I have a 7 wire and a 4 wire.  The 4 wire plugs into the orignial factory 4 wire.  That plug in seems to be where the contact was lost.  I have a wire tie holding the plug in together so the won't come apart.  I suspect over time the connection isn't as good.....I may have to hard wire it.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 11:50pm
Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I don't have the Escape anymore, so I can't compare what I did as I don't remember whether it plugged into the factory 4-way or not.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 6:34am
+1 to JR.  The trailer tail lights and marker lights operate off the same wire.  If you have tail lights, right marker and the left marker is out, start with the left marker.  First the bulb then the wiring.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 7:23am
Again I had the same situation where all the running lights worked and the brake lights as well.  The turn signal didn't.  My tow vehicle warning system indicated turn signal failure and you could hear the flasher was faster.  Occassionally I would see a brake light warning as well.  When I redid the 4 wire plug everything worked so I would check those connections.  When I used to wire trailers my recollection is turn signals were a seperate circuit but brake lights were running light and brake light combined so you got both when you put on brakes.  The OP said brake lights and running were working.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 7:26am
I meant when you applied brakes the lights were running light + turn light together 
sieffermanlm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 7:38am
Actually, I mis typed. Both the left brake and the left turn signaling don't work correctly. We checked all the circuits on the TV, plug and cleaned them. They are working well, and then we did get a very weak brake ond turn signal light on the trailer. We think it must be a bad wire (ground?) somewhere along the trailer. We added a bluetooth magnetic light system that we put on the back jacks for a quick temp fixand will have to have it checked by someone with better electronic expertise than we have. But we did have a 3 hour auto zone experience where 2 nice and knowledgeable folks helped us trouble shoot. Our new/used camper needs service. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Lynn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>