R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmore newbie questions - bikes on back?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: more newbie questions - bikes on back?
    Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:56pm
After 6 seasons camping with 2 bikes on the FR recommended rear bike rack we have not had a problem. Spare tire goes in the back of the pickup with all the other junk I take with me but never need. We bring the bikes on about half of our trips. Caution your results may be differentSmile

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
MelissaJoy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 2:41pm
I put a bike rack on the back of the TT and driving through Indianapolis I had someone pull up next to me on the highway and inform me that I was about to lose a bike off the back. Had to pull over and secure it on a pretty busy highway. I am new to trailering and didn't realize how much the trailer will bounce during travel...Including how secure things inside need to be or they will get tossed around. 
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 3:32pm
We've been carrying our bikes on the back of our trailer since we got the new one and they've fared just fine.  As long as you make sure your weight is properly balanced, the bike rack and receiver are adequate for the forces imposed on them, and the bikes very well secured, it shouldn't be a problem.  On the other hand, if the receiver and rack aren't up to handle the forces or you don't secure the bikes well, it can get pretty awful.  As for trailer weight balance, that's a must regardless of bikes on the back.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Bounder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:24pm
We looked at the bike rack for the back of our 196, and the limit on weight made the answer a hard "NO". If you have one or two light road bikes, the FR supported rack may work for you. If you have heavier mountain bikes, it will be touch and go even with the strap that reduces the pendulum effect of the rack arm.

If, like us, you have electric bikes, the rear bumper is no place to mount them. It isn't just the effect on balance of the weight front to rear, it's the limited strength of that bumper and the even more limited strength of the rack and mount set-up.

I'd say anything over 50 lbs worth of bikes is questionable when added to the rack's own weight. Anything over 75-80 lbs of bikes is no man's land.
Bounder
2021 196 Hood River
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:59am
I've agonized over this very same issue for a couple of years and even put a rack on the back of our 179 a couple of times.  I was not comfortable with that at all; too much bounce and wear/tear on rack.  I looked at doing the platform/rack over the LP tank but decided that I'm not up to man handling a couple of bikes that far off the ground.  

I recently bought two folding 26" bikes that fit in the back of our silverado with the 2/3 seat folded up.  They come with a carry bag so no dirt/grime on the seats.  They are 2KSilver Columbra 26" steel bikes and cost ~ $335 each with shipping and the storage bag.  Just the cost of the platform is about the same as one bike.  And if you have to buy a new rack (we would have) then you break about even.

We will be taking them with us in about 2 weeks to the Texas Gulf Coast so with have a chance to see how they work.   It will be great not to worry about them hanging off the end of the Pod where I can't see them.
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12