Topic ClosedNew to Camping; New R Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
john in idaho View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Camping; New R Pod
    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:32am
Get a book called "12v Bible for Boats" from amazon.  Around 12 bucks.  Thin book that is easy to read. Boats and RVs use 12v power.  You will be lots more comfortable with your rPod after reading it.  Just a suggestion.......

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:26pm
Okay. Look at the lights. The 3/4 (actually, 2/3) is for the tank readings. For the battery, there is a different set of markings to include Charging, Good, Fair, and Low (if my memory serves me correctly). Don't think of it as a fuel gauge, but as a general indicator. The best reading is done with a multimeter or you could install a digital voltage gauge.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TexasCruiser View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:20pm
Forgot to mention that the battery report also says "Battery OK for mild climate; may not start vehicle in hot or cold conditions." If anybody thinks I'd be foolish to trust this battery even once I'd like to hear from you.
TexasCruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:16pm
Battery issue resolved, at least for now.
1. Took battery to O'Reilly Auto Parts and they put it on a tester machine (took over an hour so it was not just a quick charge tester). This was the read-out:
"Good Battery; In last quarter of life." The battery had tested .96v on my multimeter when I took it in and 2.45v on their machine when the guy first put it in his machine. It now reads 12.47v on my meter.
2. Took the battery to the RPod and hooked it up. Lights worked and battery showed 3/4 full (not sure why only 3/4 and if it needs time to read full). Took battery out and brought it home.
3. Bought a 3amp trickle charger at Walmart for $17 and battery is now in my garage hooked up to the trickle charger.

I know the battery won't last long but I might get 3-6 months out of it. I'll be shopping for a new deep cell battery.

I so appreciate all who took time to offer their expertise and suggestions. Someday I hope to be able to assist others as you have helped me.

Thanks again campers!

Mike
2018 RPod 179
2018 GMC Terrain
TexasCruiser
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:26pm
With a battery that has discharged to that point, I would NOT overwork and/or overheat that expensive converter in the rpod 'hoping' to bring that battery back to life. 

Converters are well protected against overload and overheating BUT....I would just not do it. In fact, the converter charger SHOULD refuse to charge a battery that is as 'flat' as that one is. 

You should buy a new battery, install it and test it, make sure everything is ok, then when the r-pod is back in storage, either disconnect the battery negative lead, or install a battery disconnect switch inline with the positive lead. OR...add a small solar panel and charge controller. 

Then IF you have access to an old school 'dumb charger' like an old Sears or Shumacher, or similar, you can try to bring that battery back to life, without risking an expensive component in the RV.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:35am
On where to fill to just put in distilled water until the water level contacts the bottom of the fill holes. You can tell when that occurs because the water surface will take on a curved shape (called a meniscus).

1.16 v is well and truly dead. Nevertheless, it hurts nothing for you to try to put a charge on the battery and see what happens. Just don’t expect much. Do that with the onboard charger connected to shore power or by removing the battery and taking it home to put on a battery charger. A small solar module meant for maintenance charging won’t resurrect it.

As for leaving a solar module connected for maintenance charging once you have a fully charged good battery installed any 10 watt or so 12V module will work. Get a glass one, not a so-called “flexible” plastic ones. It has to be placed in direct sunlight.

Depending on where you have your trailer stored a small portable solar module could be subject to theft or can blow off the roof so you might be better off just storing the battery at home for the winter, and charging it occasionally. Check the water level every few weeks if you have it on charge whether it’s solar or grid powered.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 6:45am
Texas

Have you had a chance to charge your battery yet?  Ideally a trickle charge (2 or 3 amp) would be ideal for 24 - 48 hours.  If that is not possible than do you have the option of plugging into 110 shore power and let your online converter do the charging?  If you cannot do either of those than I would take it to a car parts store and let them test it for you.  If you are reading 1.16 volts, i don't think it will be possible to resurrect it to life, it has been hurt too far for being any good.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:51pm
1. Thanks. I even used my iphone flashlight and didn't see the "full" marks in the cells but maybe I just wasn't looking right. I expected the cells water levels to be much lower considering some think the batter may be dead or near dead.
2. That's exactly what I did with my multimeter and I got the 1.16 reading at 20, 200 and 250. The meter appears OK but that was weird. I may go back tomorrow and try that again.
Thanks much for the response.
Mike

TexasCruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:24pm
#1 You should be able to see the limit of the "full" water level in the cell, usually about 1/2" from the top of the cell.
#2 When checking battery, please make sure you are not hooked up to shore (110) power as this would give you inaccurate results.  On your multimeter look for the DCV section and turn the dial to the "20" spot, this will give you readings that hopefully will be in the range of 12.72 v  (100% S.O.C.).  I cannot help or give any assistance on #3 as I do not have solar on the 177.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:55pm
OK here's what I did today:
1. Opened the battery case, found that it is NOT maintenance free. Opened the cells and saw water in all 6 cells. Unable to determine the levels I added a small amount of distilled water in all 6 cells.
2. Bought a volt multimeter at Harbor Freight for $6.79, read the instructions (I am no handyman as you can tell). With the battery connected I used the multimeter on the battery posts. But instead of a reading between 12.2v and 12.72v I got a reading of 1.16. I have no idea what that means but I thought I did it right. Please comment so I can make this work.
3. I called Camper World about solar panels since the RPod is wired for solar. They told me I should contact the solar equipment provider directly. That's Solarontheside.com. Went to their website but they show large solar panels and a disclaimer that they can't be left overnight and are not weatherproof. I was looking for something small that I could leave on the roof of the unit while it's stored to recharge the battery.
Sorry this is long but you are now up to date on my latest efforts. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
TexasCruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>