R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR*Pod HRE (Hood River Edition)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Goose View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R*Pod HRE (Hood River Edition)
    Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:03am
I believe that translates to 2.995 liters. they probably round it off to 3.0 liters. I know what you mean about staying with the van that you have. Good luck,  Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 9:36am
I forgot to mention that our Sienna is a V6, and the book says it is 2995 cubic cm. Don't know how that translates into liters!
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 9:34am
Thanks to both of you for your advice. The dealer said that the unit they put on is a combo sway and weight distribution. I guess we'll have to think about upgrading at some point. It would be nice to be able to just go with what we have for the time being, if the poor Sienna isn't just plain tired with all the miles on her.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 9:30am
I have a 2003 Sienna and I would say it is marginally powered for the job.  For our usual 1-hour-away weekend trips its good enough, and for our 4-hour trip to the beach each year since that is mostly flat.  I have two big trips coming up this year @ 10 and 17 hours one-way, each.  I'll probably be the one in the right lane holding at 50 mph on the big grinds.  I would upgrade but the thing is paid off and barely over 100,000 miles.

I highly recommend getting a weight distribution hitch, the soft suspension on the Siennas is not designed for towing.  The ride quality is greatly improved with one in place.

Welcome!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 12:18am
  We had a Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 liter engine and a 3 speed trans. with overdrive to pull our 171, it did OK on the flat land but was little light on power when it came to the hills going and coming back from Arizona. I don't know what size engine you have in the Sienna but if it's larger than the 3.3 that we had you might be in better shape for the hills that you have in Californa.
      Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 9:03pm
I am a new member and have been browsing posts. We haven't purchased an rpod, yet, but yesterday we looked at the HRE of the 177 and loved it. We have a 1998 Toyota Sienna )with towing package)with nearly 200,000 miles on it and will be having a mechanic check it out before actually towing it. Does anyone have experience using a Sienna for pulling an rpod? We've pulled horse trailers before, but have never done anything with a travel trailer before. We are excited about the possibilities, being retired and almost retired. We live in California.
I'd appreciate any recommendations and/or advice!Smile

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 12:45pm
I just posted Pictures and more Information at:

They are due to ship Mid October.  I have an east coast dealer checking to see if they can order them. 

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 12:17pm
Ok I just got off the phone with Ketelsen Campers of Colorado and found out that this camper is only planned to be shipped west of the Missisippi.  Price Range was going to be between 17,000 to 21,000.  They have not seen any yet.  It is meant for off road but they did not know if the frame was stronger.  I feel the pictures are taken at the plant and may not be the actual model listed.  while looking at the pictures one is sitting right by a chain link fence but the others are not.  Wonder why only the west coast dealers only get them?  Also with the tires on the camper that may cut the MPG down also as they are knobby. 
jrg1971 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 12:06am
I sure hope there won't be any shenanigans when I get my R*Pod HRE. I have not seen one in person yet, only pictures just like everyone here is seeing. I will post some pictures after I take delivery of it. I am supposed to pick it up on or about Oct 23, 2010.

Jeff
Remember the answer is 42!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Interesting, never seen one like that before.  I wonder if its a dealer-created special, not something from FR.

That was my first thought too.  Although, if the price is comparable to the rest of the r-pod line, it'd be unlikely that it was an aftermarket job.   

I'm a bit confused by the pictures.  It shows a window on the front curb side, but no window on the front street side.  Its hard to tell in the pictures, but I don't see the rear hatch for the tent.  The pictures also show that the unit has a slide.  A normal 172T has no front windows because of the bunk beds and there is no slide.

The specs in the ad also state 'scissor style stabilizer jacks', but as far as I can tell, the unit pictured has the typical r-pod wind-down jacks.  I also don't see the 'rear spoiler with LED lights' from the side shots of the trailer.

With add ons like diamond plate, bathroom sink, spoiler with LEDs, axle risers, off road tires and larger rims, I'm surprised that it can be purchased for a similar price to the other r-pods.  I also wonder what an 'improved r-dome' may be.  A special edition should easily fetch an additional $7,000-$10,000

I'm also surprised that extras like A/C, micro/convection, TV/DVD aren't mentioned in the specs.

I'll be the rude forum member and call shenanigans on this one.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>