R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedResponse from FR Customer Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Response from FR Customer Service
    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:10am
I contacted Forest River customer service to ask where the "pre-wired" solar wires terminated.  They were not behind the GoPower template label that was on the cabinet by the door, like it said they would be.

Here's their response:
Due to our policy you will need to contact your dealer for this information.   We are not allowed for safety reasons to give this to owners.

The dealer would also be the one to install the solar panel and converter.

What a joke! After the problems I have had with my new travel trailer, I wouldn't let the dealer anywhere near my camper!  i've had to fix so many things that were not assembled correctly.  I can't install solar power ON MY OWN CAMPER?!?!?!

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:41am
Of course you can. You can install ceiling fans in your own house too, but you have to ignore the instructions in the box which say to have a licensed professional do it. FR is just protecting itself from incurring legal liability by someone “misunderstanding” their instructions.

Several others have noted that there are two wires leading in and out of that area, one end of each going to the roof for solar input and the other ends going to the battery area for the solar charge controller output. If you think you might have that situation then you can confirm it without cutting the wires by connecting the wires to each other at the battery end (not to the battery) and then going on the roof with an ohmmeter and checking continuity there between the two wires. If you have continuity then disconnect the wires at the battery and confirm that the two wires on the roof now show open circuit. Then you can cut the wires and install your controller in the space provided and the solar module on the roof.

Do please also install an appropriately sized fuse at the battery positive terminal as part of the install, otherwise if you get a short between the battery and the controller you can start a fire. You don’t need a fuse between The solar module and the controller, it won’t do anything anyway.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
KirkH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 12:13pm
Thanks.  Yeah I know I can install it on the camper, I just think it's ridiculous that they won't answer the question.

So you are saying that the pre-wired solar cables terminate at the battery?  There are 2 smaller cables/wires attached to the battery, that may be them.  I will use my digital multimeter to check those.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 1:31pm
Yes, the two small cables at battery are the solar connections.  Meter is always a good idea. +1 to OG regarding fuse addition.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by KirkH

Thanks.  Yeah I know I can install it on the camper, I just think it's ridiculous that they won't answer the question.
So you are saying that the pre-wired solar cables terminate at the battery?  There are 2 smaller cables/wires attached to the battery, that may be them.  I will use my digital multimeter to check those.

Look at it from FR’s perspective. What do they have to gain by answering the question? Nothing. What do they have to loose? A lawsuit if you screw it up based on their instructions and burn up your trailer. They could take the time to write up detailed generic msolar install instructions with all the appropriate safety warnings, but since they aren’t selling the add on solar kits they wouldn’t make any money doing that. It’s like asking your car manufacturer how to install an accessory they didn’t sell you. Never happens.

+ 1 to mcarter’s post.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:11am
FR cannot, in the long run, avoid responsibility for providing information on the use of its products by pawning legal responsibility off to an uncontrolled dealer network.  There is a doctrine in product liability in most states called "foreseeable misuse" that will bite them in the board room if they do not provide adequate information on their RV's to permit safe use.  

Dealers will get smart to this ploy very quickly and will decline to give "advice" to FR product owners.  If this is going to be the future for FR's customer service, then I, for one, if I ever buy another trailer, will be looking at manufacturers who give support to their customers.  

As for what FR has to lose by declining to provide information and parts for their products, the answer is simple: customers.  If people can't get information they need to maintain their RVs, and the dealers are not inclined to be helpful, then smart buyers will look for other manufacturers.  

Thankfully, most RVs are built of generic parts that can be purchased through after market vendors.  There are very few brand specific parts apart from interior decorative materials such as wall panel vinyl or cabinetry.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:11pm
I expect that what is happening in the case of the solar is that go solar or zamp are paying fr for them to install the wire runs and for the opportunity to put the solar companies logos on the trailers. That is likely the extent of FR’s involvement. Everything else is handled by go solar/zamp through the dealer. So FR just points customers that way if they ask about solar. They aren’t involved in the solar installs and might even be in violation of their business arrangement with the solar companies if the were to provide diy advice, as that would take business away from the solar guys. Basically it’s a marketing agreement. Such arrangements are very common in the solar biz and I expect also in many others. I used to do them myself.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 4:34pm
Recently, FR made a corporate decision, at least according to some FR people I talked to, to no longer sell parts or offer technical information about their RVs, but to instead refer all questions to FR dealers, regardless of the FR brand name of the trailer.  An example:  I needed to purchase some wall panel seam tape and contacted FR for the color name based upon my vin.  It took a bit to even get them to reveal the name of the color pattern and when I asked about purchasing a quantity, they said they no longer sell to consumers, that all parts must be purchased through a dealer.  The representative explained that the corporate bigshots were trying to pass on responsibility for their RVs to the dealers and escape liability for themselves.  

In regard to specific vendor produced items, such as a solar system or a stove, they've always referred inquiries to the manufacturer of the item.  But for FR designed connections to those appliances, they used to give some advice.  Now, you must beg the information from your nearest FR dealer regardless of whether the dealer is familiar with that particular brand of trailer.  The dealers are going to get smart real fast and stop offering advice.  Effectively, it's a concerted effort to stop maintenance outside of FR's dealers which effectively is a restraint of free trade and invites foreseeable misuse which will cost FR and the dealers in the long run both in loss of customer confidence and in legal fees and judgments.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:29am
Sounds like FR is trying to transition to a full dealer based sales, delivery, service and support channel model. They have had a mixed model up to now, dealers for sales and delivery, factory for at least some service and support. The mixed model is more expensive for them because they have to maintain a significant call center and service ticket infrastructure, as well as pay skilled experts to be able to answer technical questions from end customers. Now they will be able to pass that cost to their dealers, just like the auto manufacturers. Try calling up Ford or Toyota and have them explain something technical to you about the car you bought😜

As for the “solar ready” option, that is pretty unique. It’s not like a stove, which FR buys, installs, and then sells to you, so they are directly in the chain of commerce for that item. The solar kit is bought by you either from the vendor of from a dealer. All FR does is run a couple wires as directed by the solar company, and place a sticker telling you who to contact for a solar system after you buy the trailer. The solar supplier is no doubt paying FR for the privilege of getting those “locked in” sales leads, which is of course why those kits are more expensive than just buying the gear directly. This sales model was really common in the early days of solar when it was more expensive and not well understood by the public. Now that solar is mainstream and FR sells a solar option directly, I expect this will disappear. Eventually it will probably be a standard feature.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:47am
This topic has come up before, posted by me and others. I had a similar issue...they would not even tell me where inside the camper I might find the wires, what color codes they would be, or what gauge wire to be looking for.

Yeah, Forest River Customer Service, 'ain't'.

Like the OP, my nearest dealer is not knowledgeable on solar and such, they are too busy, and they are too far away to be of any use. Plus I can do this stuff myself. But I didn't really want to be looking without any idea of where the wires might be, so I called them. Keep in mind that my r-pod DID have the MC4 port on the roof but did NOT have a port or sticker or anything on the side or back of the outside of the camper. Nothing. Other than the port on the roof, there was a 'GoPower' sticker on the  cabinet above the sink, adjacent to the radio.

It would have been SO simple for the CS person to simply say, yeah those wires are in the so-and-so area normally, and we always use purple and orange wires, or whatever....

If this is any help to the OP, the two wires leading from the roof MC4 connector to the interior of the camper, were found tucked away inside the cabinet where the sticker is and the radio is mounted on my 171. The two pairs of wires were red and black, 10 (or maybe 12) gauge IIRC, and were bundled up with the existing harness for the radio with no markings or labels.

As we've seen in another post, Forest River will gladly sell an owner a new $1100 fridge...and certainly the removal of the old unit, and installation of the new one will expose the user (and Forest River) to risk.

Makes no sense to me at all.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>