Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

P-pod for dry camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-pod for dry camping?
    Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 11:52am
I confess, GlueGuy, when I looked up the ingredients, I left a few out, including garlic.  The more, the better.  Almost as good as cast iron skillet fried bacon.  Cool
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 10:54am
Did someone say bologna? Now we talking!

Just washed the 'Pod and we're headed south tomorrow for a week of desert camping. Whoever gave the tip on Meguiars' ceramic wax, thanks. Stuff worked like a charm.

FWIW, I did weight the 179 when we bought it and it was about 200# heavier than the claimed weight even without battery and LP. When I was dialing in my WDH, I weighed it again with the normal load we would take camping and, no surprise it was a lot more, not just a bit more. The weight of stuff really adds up fast. I knew this from years of backpacking, but it was a good reminder transitioning into RV life.

You all take care
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 10:01am
I'm with you LA, but I'm a big fan of minced garlic.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 4:51pm
I wonder if we have witnessed a clash of some pretty big egos?  Just askin'. Ermm

Certainly, the deceased horse has been soundly beaten to a pulp and is ready, with the addition of some salt and pepper, myrtle berry powder, and potassium nitrate, to put into the bologna casing.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 2:19pm
My 'pod has been great, but if you want to delete appliances, I'd buy something else, or order one built without the stuff you don't want. Plus, you will sell it one day. Do you really want to pay extra and immediately reduce its value?

If experience is any guide, we may never sell it.  We've bought one house, one cottage, one sailboat, have had them all for over 20 years and never sold any of them.  I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the same with the trailer.  The most likely thing would be eventually handing it down to one of our kids.

The only thing we still might delete is the A/C.  Meaning only taking it out, putting in another skylight vent and storing the A/C somewhere.  We'd much rather have more natural light in that end of the trailer than A/C we'll probably never use (man that thing is loud!).  But if the new buyer wanted it, they could have it.  The only reason the A/C is still there is the effort involved in making the change.  

And I'm really not sure what we'd trade up to.  I don't want to go bigger and don't really like more expensive smaller trailers that much.  I'm not keen on the smaller Airstreams, for example.  Big beautiful windows...in the front of the trailer by the bed!?  No, that's wrong!  Nearly all the time, the front of the trailer faces the other campers -- we don't want to look at them or them at us (especially when we're in bed Confused)  The biggest windows and dinette should be in the back of the trailer -- or at least on the side -- where you're looking at the scenery rather than your neighbors.  Even in places where we had no neighbors and were able to back the trailer into a place where we had an expansive view over a valley, there would have been no way to achieve that view from the front of the trailer.  And then we wanted the bed at one end and dinette at the other so one person could stay up later or get up earlier and not disturb the one who's sleeping.  We like, too, that our bed almost feels like it's in own cabin.  Our heads are behind the bathroom wall, so a short curtain seals off the rest and it's quite separate and light doesn't get in.  In short, it wasn't a random choice and there aren't many other options that meet all those criteria.
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 1:27pm
The UVW of 2950 of my 180 is close. With some canned food, full water heater, pots, pans, etc. towels/sheets, cleaning supplies, full propane and 1 battery, everything I need to pull out and leave save clothes, fresh water and food, my 180 weighs 3122 lbs with about 14% on the tongue.

You'll be fine as long as you don't go crazy. Get your water at the edge of civilization, so you don't have to haul it over half of Georgia.

My 'pod has been great, but if you want to delete appliances, I'd buy something else, or order one built without the stuff you don't want. Plus, you will sell it one day. Do you really want to pay extra and immediately reduce its value?
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 12:41pm
Dont hold your breath.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 12:22pm
"... but his arguments are in general poorly considered or just plain silly and its easy to see through them"

When you post a link to substantiate your position in ANY of our points of disagreement, that'll be the first time.  You never back up any of your claims with actual data.  Pick a point where you think I'm wrong and show us the data backing you up.  We'll wait.

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 11:20am
Yeah he's trying to pull my tail, that's what trolls do, but his arguments are in general poorly considered or just plain silly and its easy to see through them. As I've said I have no objection to him doing whatever he wants within legal limits, and maybe not even then as long as I don't have to share the road with him. But I do feel a responsibility to help other forum readers, who may not follow these threads, to make safe decisions rather than just say to themselves that that guy is towing that great big trailer with a tiny little crossover so I'm gonna do the same.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 11:01am
Personally, I'm thinking Mark W gets a kick out of pulling your tail offgrid. I think he's been doing this just to get your goat, as he's made his points several times. It's been almost as much fun following this as reading Mondays at the tire shop on another forum.Big smile

I'm not trolling -- I haven't said anything I don't think is right.  But sure, it's possible that there's some entertainment value nonetheless.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>