P-pod for dry camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-pod for dry camping?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 7:47am
"So there is indeed good reason to doubt the sticker weight"

In the case where you are not the original owner or where you are relying a spec, not the manufacturers statement of the weight when it left the factory with two full propane bottles.  This isn't a number they could fudge without facing legal difficulties.  

For fiberglass boats, it's a different story -- you can't trust the specs because the actual weight depends on the fiberglass layup (and how careful the workers were being at the time).  Weights will differ from boat to boat of the same model (and all will generally heavier than advertised).  But Gulfstream attested to the actual weight of my trailer when it rolled out of the factory (with those full propane tanks).  They'd face legal liability if they were faking or lying about it.

Sigh again. Do you understand the difference between a monotonic and a linear function?

I do, but apparently you don't.  A linear function is one kind of monotonic function, but there are lots of others.  The point being, as I said, if you decrease weight by 10%, does that increase safety by 10%?  Or 1%?  Or 50%?  Or 0.1%?  All of those are consistent with some monotonic function, but you have no idea which.  

And in fact, we both *know* it's not even a monotonic function because you can increase safety by adding weight when that weight is added to increase tongue weight when it is too low.  It's possible that adding weight (especially weight that lowers the center of gravity) may increase safety in some conditions.  A heavier trailer may (or may not) handle high winds better than a lightly loaded one.  A full tank of water may be better than half a tank that can slosh back and forth.  There are a lot of complexities.

"So I'd recommend that you check your brake operation regularly"

I check it every time I hook up by hitting the brake controller and making sure the trailer brakes respond -- don't you?

"Well I knew you don't have a trailer with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Those are very expensive complex systems not for the likes of mere mortals like us with little rpods or similar TT's."

Hydraulic disc brakes aren't that expensive.  The disc brake upgrade kit for my sailboat boat trailer was about $500 when I bought it (though that was probably ten years ago)

"If you could afford such a system I doubt you would be towing a boxy TT with a little bitty SUV."

We could afford just about any RV on the road if that was a high enough priority, but RVing is just one of many things we like to do -- no reason to dump in more money than necessary.  Going small was an intentional choice to be able to go to smaller, quieter, more scenic camping spots.  We looked at some of the pricier small trailers (Lance, for example.  And our friend were trying to talk us into one of these that they own).  But we read of problems with the Lance with sagging torsion axles and the big slideout, the Altos seemed more cramped inside -- and why spend twice as much as you need to?  

We also looked at bigger TVs.  Alternatives included a 4Runner (but it would have been a thirsty, less comfortable daily driver), Grand Cherokee (nice, but I don't trust reliability long term), and 3 row crossovers like the Ascent, Pilot, and Telluride.  But with the kids grown, we just didn't need another 3 row vehicle.  And with the 3rd row folded (which it always would be), you just don't get that much extra cargo space.

Vehicles last a very long time nowadays if well maintained so no reason to be afraid of buying used. I personally would never buy new unless perhaps if there was a "must have" feature of that particular vehicle which was unobtainable in the used market, like for example the vehicle to home charging capability of the new electric F15O.

They do last a long time, but used vehicle prices are very high -- in my judgement, they are not a good deal right now (the same is true of travel trailers -- used prices are crazy).  The first x years of a cars life are its best years, and I'd rather enjoy those years myself.  And we can afford it. 

I do most of my own maintenance as I own an EAB aircraft

You can stop right there.  The safety record of EAB aircraft is quite bad even compared to general aviation as a whole.  No way I'd even go for a ride in one of those things.  Best thing, I think, that happened to my Dad as a pilot was developing an epoxy allergy and not being able to complete the plane he was building.

I agree, though, this is probably enough for now.
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 7:36am
Personally, I'm thinking Mark W gets a kick out of pulling your tail offgrid. I think he's been doing this just to get your goat, as he's made his points several times. It's been almost as much fun following this as reading Mondays at the tire shop on another forum.Big smile
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 5:15am
Sigh. If you have a higher rig load rating then you have more capacity to carry weight. But if you succumb to your human tendency to add load you can consume that capacity and be back where you started or worse. And the human capability to estimate how much things weigh is not very good. Hence the need to weigh your rig fully loaded for travel. Added safety factors should be determined based on that weight, not on empty weight.

I'll say it again, my empty trailer weighed about 250-300 lbs more than the number on the sticker. I could not account for that other than simply that the sticker was wrong. You are free to assume that I used an uncalibrated scale (I didn't) or am unable to perform basic addition and subtraction (I can) and discount my statement, but others have been surprised as well. So there is indeed good reason to doubt the sticker weight, but of course you aren't really looking for a reason, you want it to just be ok so you can do what you already decided to do anyway. That is a dangerous aspect of human nature too.

I've also weighed numerous airplanes. If they haven't been weight recently they always weigh more, often substantially more, than their weight and balance data inducates, which is supposed to be carefully obtained either by direct weighing or calculated per FAA regs. Here's an aviation saying for you: airplanes and people both gain weight as they age.

So, yes you are guessing your rig weight unless you actually weigh using a calibrated scale. It's very easy to do.

Sigh again. Do you understand the difference between a monotonic and a linear function? I can say without guessing that the controllability and therefore the safety of a rig monotonically decreases as load increases. There are not going to be any weird points where the controllability goes flat or gets better as the load increases. That is magical thinking. I'd be quite surprised if it's linear however.

Well I knew you don't have a trailer with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Those are very expensive complex systems not for the likes of mere mortals like us with little rpods or similar TT's. If you could afford such a system I doubt you would be towing a boxy TT with a little bitty SUV.

Many many people on this forum and elsewhere have had problems with their drum trailer brakes. FR uses very poor quality insulation displacement connectors which have a bad habit of going open or to a high resistance connection resulting in magnets that don't get activated or are very unbalanced. Others have had issues with their self adjustment stars either not self adjusting or getting overtightened. Others have had problems even with brand new trailers because the brakes never got properly burnished per Lippert procedures. Or warped drums or poor quality brake linings that crumble in the drums I've had some of these issues myself. Do an advanced search on this forum as see for yourself.

So I'd recommend that you check your brake operation regularly especially as you seem to intend to rely heavily on your trailer brake function. An IR thermometer is a very easy and inexpensive way to do it. You're looking for consistent temps side to side on each axle and also for no one axle on your rig to be running very hot while others are cool. Check after descending a significant grade, takes just a few seconds. But of course you already know everything is ok without checking.

Shiny new sounded like off the new dealer lot to me. My point was simply that there are many choices that allow folks to have a capable tow vehicle at an affordable price which they can use to camp comfortably utilizing all their trailer's systems. It is very unusual for a family not to want to use the systems the trailer comes with.

Vehicles last a very long time nowadays if well maintained so no reason to be afraid of buying used. I personally would never buy new unless perhaps if there was a "must have" feature of that particular vehicle which was unobtainable in the used market, like for example the vehicle to home charging capability of the new electric F15O.

As for your aviation saying, if you were involved in aviation you'd know that there are at least as many of those as there are pilots. So I hadn't heard that one. My personal favorite IMC one is about avoiding flying around in the clouds with the rocks in them.

Do you understand the difference between IMC, VMC, IFR, and VFR? Your article was about scud running. That is an activity VFR pilots engage in. The accident rate doing that is very high. It's called "VFR flight into IMC". I obtained my instrument rating largely so I would never be tempted to scud run. I can file an IFR flight plan and climb through that low cloud layer to an altitude where it's safe to fly, and usually clear of clouds. Altitude is your friend in aviation, I never fly low except when in the airport environment.

Why would you be surprised that I fly? Is there something that suggested to you that I am risk averse? Life is full of risk/reward decisions, if you take no risks and just stay home you'll probably die young from lack of excersize or brain atrophy.

So I fly myself and my wife because to us the rewards are well worth the risks. I understand and manage the risks, making sure that the aircraft and I are both properly prepared and that the weather conditions are well within our capabilities.

I do most of my own maintenance as I own an EAB aircraft, and I actually listen to what my A&P/IA/CFII tells me, who has far more experience with stuff that goes wrong with airplanes that I do, and never just charge in making the assumption that everything will be fine. I assume it's not fine unless I came prove that it is. Since your decision making indicates that you unwilling to do that I would agree with your decision that aviating to too risky for you to engage in.

I'm retired so I don't need to be anywhere at a particular hour. I'll just wait for better conditions. "Time to spare, go by air", there is another good aviation saying for you.

And btw I weigh my aircraft and don't rely on the math skills of some long dead A&P who might have made up some numbers when he did a weight and balance calc 40 years ago, or before the aircraft got that pretty paint job that wasn't accounted for. And of course I never exceed max weight and stay well below that when flying out of high density altitude fields or in IMC.

Enough banter. I think we've both made our positions and methods abundantly clear by this point. Enjoy your trailer and good luck to you.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 1:01pm
Of course having higher safety factors in towing and load ratings increases the capacity of a rig to handle extreme conditions. To say otherwise is just plain absurd: Or troll behavior, take your pick.

Unless people respond to having a higher rating by loading up the trailer more heavily (which is very a natural human tendency)

Controllability and towing safety will follow a monotonically decreasing function as the weight increases.

You actually what the relationship looks like.  Is the function even linear?  Does a 10% increase in weight reduce safety by 10%?  25%  1%?  All of those values are consistent with a monotonical relationship -- but are VERY different.  And you really don't have ANY idea which it is.

First, there are no rotors

Some trailers have disc brakes (my sailboat trailer does).  My travel trailer has drums, but I noticed no conditions where they were not performing as expected.

"Not sure what you mean by a rig simply not being able to handle a trip. "

Breakdowns.  Overheating.  Structural failures.  Getting stuck.  Not being able to climb steep mountain grades at more than 40MP, etc.  I am sure you could think of other scenarios.

"BTW, did you ever actually weigh your rig or are you still just guessing what your loads are?"

I am not guessing.  I have the exact weight of the dry trailer of 2825# (detailed down to 'including the weight of two full propane bottles') when it left the factory.    I have no more reason to distrust those numbers than I do the vehicle rating numbers from Subaru.  I'm the original owner, so I know what's been added to increase the dry weight (nothing).  I also know what we load into it (clothing, food, kitchenware, some tools and equipment, water in a 6 gallon jerry can -- certainly less than 300#).   I do have a scale for tongue weight.   

No one has suggested buying a big new TV. I for one never buy new vehicles

Sigh.  New, meaning a new vehicle for the owner -- one that they don't already own, not necessarily new as in brand new from the dealer.

"As an instrument rated pilot though I don't get that reference"

Really?  You're an instrument-rated pilot but not only had never heard that but can't even imagine what it means?  Well, OK, here's one random online reference via google.  The point is that the usual time between a fatal crash and the funerals is about enough time to for any bad weather to have cleared out and if the pilot had waited, they and their passengers would be flying in the that good weather rather than being buried in it.  

I am not a pilot myself, but come from a family of pilots.  My Dad and Uncle were pilots, and when I was a kid, we used to travel in the family plane on vacation and to visit relatives.  I never took lessons but did a fair amount of flying from the right seat with my Dad.  To his disappointment, I never became a pilot myself, though.  It's just a more dangerous activity than I want to do, especially having a family.  It's about 20 times more dangerous per mile than driving (which, in turn, is around 20 times more dangerous than flying commercial).  I guess I'm a little surprised, given your attitudes here that you'd be willing to engage in such an inherently risky activity.  Or are you a commercial jet pilot (that's incredibly safe)

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 6:06am
The ability of a heavier vehicle to allow an increase in tongue weight without exceeding max tongue weight is not to be underestimated. That headroom tends to be the limiting factor with light tow vehicles, because the TV manufacturers generally set max tongue weights at 10% of max trailer weight. and 10% is very close to or below the minimum needed to avoid sway in trailers like rpods. Also, that percentage changes as trailer loading changes, making it even more difficult to stay within specs.   In my 179 it changed by about 3% between full fresh water and full gray water tank conditions, and was the limiting factor in my loading capacity.

Of course having higher safety factors in towing and load ratings increases the capacity of a rig to handle extreme conditions. To say otherwise is just plain absurd: Or troll behavior, take your pick.

Not towing: safe
Towing within limits less safe
Towing over limits: unsafe.

Hmm. The 3 state quantum theory of towing.

Except that trailers aren't subatomic particles and outside the quantum realm physical phenomena do not reside in discrete states. Controllability and towing safety will follow a monotonically decreasing function as the weight increases. That is not a guess, there is no question.

And a larger vehicle will of course handle a swaying trailer better than a lighter one. How many times have we seen a untility trailer behind an F250 swaying all over while the truck tracks along as if planted? Higher mass, greater contact patch friction, siffer suspension, and longer wheelbase will all resist sway.

All mechanical and structural engineering involves the application of safety factors. Those are established either by standard practice, engineering judgement or they are regulatory. In towing they regulatory augmebnted by individual judgement guided by standard practice. Very few experienced operators choose to tow right at the OEM ratings.

But if you want to that's ok with me, as I said. Just don't imply that your use case (and empty box with no use of the onboard plumbin) is a normal one. It is highly unusual, placing anyone who might attempt to replicate it while loading more normally at risk.

Your statements indicate that you don't understand how trailer brakes work and what they can and can't do. First, there are no rotors They are 1950s technology drum brakes, modulated by a poorly regulated electromagnetic system. They are notoriously weak, grabby, unreliable   and imbalanced. Pull your wheels and inspect them as you should be doing and see for yourself. So absolutely, you are largely depending on your TV bydraulic disk brakes wih their
nice ABS and load balanced control systems for both emergency stops and control on grades. And if course a larger TV has more reserve braking capacity. Bring along an IR thermometer and see which brakes are getting too hot (or worse, not getting hot at all) under various conditions. It's an eye opener.of sure   

Not sure what you mean by a rig simply not being able to handle a trip. I have no doubt that any modern rig could negotiate just about anything within reason, taken cautionsly and slowly enough. I used to drive a loaded 1960 40hp VW bus over any number of mountain passes and bad roads I managed all of 10 mph up and down in low gear, it took forever and wasn't very practical but I could do it and not cook eithér the engine or brakes in the process By comparison stuff today is wildly overpowered and overbraked. That was never my concern here, highway safety is.

Sure have head of Peltzman. Did you not read my last post? I described tbe complacency effect there. It is certainly easy to just add more stuff and be overloaded with a larger TV. This is why I said that the rig should be taken to a scale and actually weighed. They apply your safety factor to that.

BTW, did you ever actually weigh your rig or are you still just guessing what your loads are?

No one has suggested buying a big new TV. I for one never buy new vehicles, there are plenty of great used vehicles and it's been my experience that vehicle size does not corellate with price much if at all. Lots of lighter vehicles cost more that heavier ones depending on what options or brand cachet they might have. Or if you are truly enamored of a particular TV you can get a trailer that is a good match for that vehicle.

I do agree with your driving safety recommendations and would adctd to always drive as if you your brakes will not be available, meaning use engine braking and decelerate early.

As an instrument rated pilot though I don't get that reference, Is it intended to imply that I shouldn't fly in IMC despite having the rating currency, and equipment to do so?

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 1:22pm
Apologies. Just getting used to the site. I'll make sure not be disruptive next time Smile
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 9:36am
The challenge will be to resist the temptation to carry the few extra things that could push you over the limit and to be prepared to see signs of wear and tear on your drive train.  

Our tow vehicle helps with that temptation.  In particular, it helps with being able to tell my wife why we need to keep things light and can't fill the tanks.  Which I don't want to do anyway (I don't want to stay in campgrounds with hookups and dump stations, worry about freezing when temps drop at night in the desert, or even listen to the loud water pump).  She now (on her own) has made a list of things she didn't use and doesn't need on the next trip (and wants to know how soon we can go).  She's quite OK with the insect sprayer shower.  Our trailer felt very luxurious compared to, for example, the Canadian couple with a rooftop tent on their Highlander who were making do with sponge baths ;)

As for the drivetrain, towing adds wear and tear regardless.  But when Subaru came out with the Outback XT models like ours, they dropped in the drivetrain from the larger, heavier 3-row Ascent that has a 5000# rating, so it should be up to the task.  But we'll see.
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 9:19am
Beyond that there are cases of rpods (and many other trailer models) developing sway with tongue weight at or below 10% of trailer weight so you should stay above that under all loading conditions.

Yes, I agree that trailer sway is really the biggest safety concern.  But a larger vehicle doesn't seem to help much in that (looking at all the dashcam trailer crash videos, you can see it doesn't take a very large trailer to roll a pickup when the trailer goes sideways).  A larger TV only really helps to the extent that it makes it easier to increase tongue weight without exceeding max tongue weight.  

...most here want at least 10-20% above that to improve vehicle control under extreme/emergency conditions

But, AFAIK, you don't have any data at all to show what the effects of a 10%, or 20% or 50% margin with respect to tow ratings has.  Does it actually improve safety in extreme conditions?  And how much?  You simply don't know.  It's just a guess.  I'm not blaming you for not having such data.  I don't think anybody really has it (there are so many possible combinations of TV and trailer and even for a given combination, things will vary based on the hitch setup, loading of the vehicles, tires, weather conditions, speeds, etc).

As for the validity of using a 4000 mile trip as an assesent of safety, it is important to understand the statistics of low probability events and how safety incidents occur.

It is true, though, that driving is very safe (even while towing -- though obviously less so).  It's the reason why safety problems with autonomous vehicles took so long to emerge.  So, no, a single 4400 mile trip can't tell us about safety at a level of a handful of crashes per million miles driven.  But it can rule out the idea that the configuration just doesn't work (e.g. that it simply can't handle mountains or wind or rough roads or will break down and overheat, etc).  

but might if those two events were combined with a slick road surface or a significant crosswind, or both.

Is my stopping distance while towing longer or shorter than it would be if I were driving the larger Subaru Ascent vs our Subaru Outback?  The trailer brakes provide the stopping power for the weight of the trailer in both cases (and the vehicle brakes for the vehicles).  

And have you heard of the Peltzman Effect?  This suggests that people with heavier tow vehicles may be more likely to load the trailer more heavily (but the trailer brake rotors don't get bigger), drive faster, drive in more adverse conditions, etc.

What I do object to is encouraging others, who might be new to trailer towing and may not yet have the skills needed to weigh or operate their rigs safely, to take such unnecessary risks. 

What I object to is confidently telling people that they should allow a 10% or 20% margin, when you don't have any data backing that up.  You may be discouraging people from getting into RVing at all by telling them they have to go out and buy big new TV before they even get started.  But in the end, both of us are just guys commenting on the Internet -- nobody should take our opinions as any kind of gospel.

My safety advice for towing would be less about the TV (other than staying within specs).  First, I agree that getting the tongue weight high enough to minimize sway is critical.  After that, it would about behavior.  Drive slow -- especially until you gain more experience.  And avoid driving in bad weather (there's an old saying from flying something like "90% of those killed in IFR conditions are buried on VFR days").  If you have to wait somewhere for an extra day or two until a storm blows over, do it (as we chose to do in the Wichita Mountains on this trip -- we were really ready to move on, but the predicted winds were crazy high, so we hunkered down).

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 6:19am
MarkW, I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and had no serious issues with your trailer or TV.  As long as  you keep the weight down below the maximum capacity both in towing weight and combined gross vehicle weight, especially with the awareness of being close to the limit as you drive, you'll probably be fine.  The challenge will be to resist the temptation to carry the few extra things that could push you over the limit and to be prepared to see signs of wear and tear on your drive train.  

I was advised, when I decided to sell our 172 and was looking for a trailer with a little more room, that the slightly wider [6"], higher [another 6"], and heavier [about 500# gvw], and longer [3'] Sonoma 167rb would result in much poor fuel economy, much more problematic to drive.  Though I was much closer to the maximum combined vehicle weight, I was still within the limits.  I had no issues towing the new trailer and the fuel consumption was exactly the same as it was when I pulled our Pod.  In fact, the under chassis wheel configuration, instead of the cantilevered axle of the rPod, made towing easier because I needed a foot less side to side clearance for the trailer.  So much for the advice I got.

So, enjoy your trailer and travels.  And, as they say in the Boy Scouts, be prepared.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 5:37am
If you are (by actual weighing, not estimates based on empty weight specs) within all your vehicles' limitations (all 3 axles, tow vehicle max, trailer max, combined vehicle max, tongue max), and you otherwise meet the towing requirements of your vehicle (eg
frontal area) then you are legal.

Beyond that there are cases of rpods (and many other trailer models) developing sway with tongue weight at or below 10% of trailer weight so you should stay above that under all loading conditions.

Towing safety factors beyond these are up to the operator, most here want at least 10-20% above that to improve vehicle control under extreme/emergency conditions. Some want much more than that based in their personal experience and risk tolerance.

As for the validity of using a 4000 mile trip as an assesent of safety, it is important to understand the statistics of low probability events and how safety incidents occur.

Nearly all incidents involve multiple coincident factors. Several things have to go wrong at once, otherwise such incidents would be much more common. For example, a wreck might not occurs because of a marginal tow vehicle combined with an idiot pulling out in front, but might if those two events were combined with a slick road surface or a significant crosswind, or both.

When safety experts evaluate these incidents they generally see a combination of several of these adverse factors with one or more unsafe behaviors by the operator. These unsafe behaviors are reinforced if nothing bad happens and become the operator's norm. That's just human nature and it's difficult to counteract. That's why modern safety traing focusses on identifying and enhancing the operator's awareness of his behavior, rather than just training against a list of rules.

In this case the behavior is travelling with a borderline rig, and it's reinforced by thousands of miles without incident, until ultimately a combination of adverse factors can combine to result in an accident. Remember that serious accidents are thankfully very rare events and take millions of miles of travel to obtain good statistics for.

In any case, if youre legal, additional safety factors are up to you and I have no objection, we are all free within our legal limits to operate our vehicles as we wish.   What I do object to is encouraging others, who might be new to trailer towing and may not yet have the skills needed to weigh or operate their rigs safely, to take such unnecessary risks. That in my view shows lack of regard for others' well being.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>