Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

P-pod for dry camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-pod for dry camping?
    Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 9:29pm
gpokluda, had you read the most recent posts you would have seen Mark didn't buy an Rpod (complete with pictures) and that he finished his trip without serious issues. He got things done well. Kinda the reason the admin's say to read all the posts before we write one.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 4:55pm
If you want to stick with your TV you may want to look at a trailer with a bit lower profile and higher ground clearance like some of the trail ready tear drops that are out there, but at the end of the day, you go with what you got.

Ours isn't a Pod, but similar in size and weight--probably closest to a 171 (no slide), but a little taller and wider.  Anyway, ground clearance really wasn't a problem.  We aren't trying to overland, just get into some dispersed sites that required a few bits of what I guess you'd say is light off-roading.  Rougher than getting to some of the camp sites were a couple of long unpaved roads -- particularly Rock House Valley Road that stretches about 30 miles across Vermillion Cliffs.  The problem was sections of washboard.  Two things did go a little wrong that time.  First, one of the rear stab jacks vibrated part way down and then did drag at one point and bent a little (but I was able to bend it back).  The other was that our double rear dinette window wasn't fully latched and worked it's way partly open and ... the dust!!!  Not a fun cleanup (I wished we had that propane-powered shop vac).  But it was worth it get to the trailhead for the Buckskin Gulch slot canyon which is spectacular.  Checking out the trailer post-trip is a good idea.  We've been home a few days now and have done a thorough cleanout of the trailer and things look to no worse for wear.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 2:29pm
Hi Mark and welcome. Ditto what most of the replies have said. We do a mix of boondocking and hookups and for that, the Rpod works great. As others have said, rough roads are tough on the Pod so you will want to go slow and inspect the trailer on your return. Your TV may be a little light for the task at hand. If you want to stick with your TV you may want to look at a trailer with a bit lower profile and higher ground clearance like some of the trail ready tear drops that are out there, but at the end of the day, you go with what you got.

All the best! Keep us posted what you decide.

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 8:43am
We were within all rated limits for the tow vehicle -- just not x% below rated limits where x% is determined by no data, only by seat of the pants 'just to be safe' guessing.  We never filled water or waste tanks and did not carry anywhere nearly enough gear to put us even close to 3500#.  Tongue weight was close to, but under the rated 350#.  Total TV loading was within rated limits as well.  I know you think you need to add a 10% or 20% (or is it 30% -- how do you decide?) additional safety margin above and beyond the safety margin that the actual professional automotive engineers already designed into the vehicle.  I disagree.  

It wasn't just 4400# miles, it was driving, at times, in strong head and crosswinds, over multiple mountain passes, across long, rough unpaved roads (in Vermillion Cliffs and Escalante) and to dispersed camp sites that sometimes required 4WD and high-clearance.  We had to do a panic stop when a jackass pulled out in front of us.  It was a pretty thorough workout.  It wasn't a high-heat workout (temps were never above the low 80s and mostly lower -- especially high in the mountains), but that's OK -- we have not intention of ever camping in really hot temperatures (yuck!)

Probably not much point in going around and around more on safety margins.  Happy camping (or farming)!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:39am
Ok, thread is awake.

I'm certainly happy to hear that nothing bad happened, but that doesn't change my view that this is dangerous behavior. 4000 miles without a problem is nowhere near an adequate data set. In safety engineering, unsafe activities recur many times but don't redult in injury or death until they do, meaning that statistics apply.

The death rate from crashes in the US is about 1 per 100,000,000 miles. So you would need to have thousands of rigs like this on the road for years to obtain meaningful statistics. Lacking that you have to go with load capacity analysis and expert recommendations.

So to new owners or soon to be owners, please get an adequate tow vehicle and don't let wishful thinking sway you to do something unsafe. There is always someone on the internet that will tell you whatever dangerous behavior you might want to do is OK. Don't believe it.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 12:35pm
I thought I'd wake this old thread up with a quick follow-up.  So to review, I initially asked about towing an r-Pod (for dry camping) with a 3500# TV (both a Toyota Sienna and a Subaru Outback XT).  After shopping, we ended up with a similar size/weight Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser 17RWD (about 2850# dry).  We finally had a chance for a major test -- about four weeks and 4400 miles from SE Michigan to the southwest (NM, AZ, UT, CO) and back.  Mountains, deserts, some gnarly dirt roads to dispersed camp sites, and it all worked out very well.  We did do dry camping - at first because of temps dropping below freezing at night and after that because it was the most practical (the small campgrounds we stayed at usually had no water or at least had no way to fill tanks and didn't allow campers to use that much water anyway).  Presumably due to the explosion in RVing, pretty much every campground that took reservations was fully booked when we checked.  But this really wasn't a problem, since we had little problem finding space at the small Forest Service and BLM campgrounds and various dispersed sites that were quieter, more beautiful (and mostly free).  This one near Kodachrome Basin was probably our favorite:

But there were lots of other beautiful ones too.  Here's the whole rig in the Organ Mountains in NM (at an actual campground):

And we did see a few R-Pods out there in the boonies as well.  Anyway, if you're wondering if you can go with a lighter tow vehicle, our experience is that it may work out fine as it has for us.  
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:41pm
<i>I really liked the Vista Cruiser series and tried to buy a 19ERD, but the added transportation cost from the mid-west to the west pushed it out of our budget range</i>

Yes, the 19ERD was the one we looked at a the dealer with the tired RP 179.  The 'master suite' with the walkaround queen and separate shower and toilet was definitely appealing (and the price was actually almost the same as the 17), but we wanted something a little more compact and not to have to buy a larger TV.  That Sonoma you got instead looks very nice too, though.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:23pm
I really liked the Vista Cruiser series and tried to buy a 19ERD, but the added transportation cost from the mid-west to the west pushed it out of our budget range.  I hope you enjoy the one you got.  I ended up with a FR Sonoma 167RB which is quite similar to the r-Pod 192, but a little narrower and a little lighter.  

We weighed the TT & TV when we first got it.  Now I have a pretty good baseline on what I can load and can't.  Right now we're packing for a cross-country trip, leaving soon after my wife gets her second Covid shot.  When everything is loaded, I'll double check the tongue weight, but based on the original weighing and having a pretty generous margin of error with our TV's capacity, everything should be well within specs, though I may have to make some minor adjustments to accommodate for the bars of Nevada gold and silver I've hidden in the front of the trailer, beneath the bed.  

So...., since I sold our 172, I've been an interloper on this board too.  It's filled with a lot of very helpful information that is quite useful no matter what brand you buy and a lot of generous folks who will take the time to share very helpful information they have learned over the years.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 1:57pm
MarkW, the data plate you attached does not appear to be from an r-Pod, nor other FR trailers.  It appears to be a Vista Cruiser 17RWD by the Gulfstream company.  

Oh, yes, that was the beginning of the thread/story.  I started by asking about an RPod 179 for dry camping and then later went to a dealer that had a used one for sale.  The 179 was a little beat up, though, and while I was there I wandered over to look at a Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser and ended up with a 17 footer which similar in size & weight to the 179.  The layout is like a 171 (no slide, bed in front, dinette in back, kitchen and bath in the middle, but it's wide-bodied and has a dry bath -- also an oven, a feature we kind of liked in the Lance 1575 that we'd also been eyeing.  And a full wood interior which appealed to old boat fans like us).  There's more useful info on this forum, though -- most of the owners of the same Gulfstream family buy larger 19-23ft models (the 17s are pretty rare), so I've kind of hung around.

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:55am
MarkW, the data plate you attached does not appear to be from an r-Pod, nor other FR trailers.  It appears to be a Vista Cruiser 17RWD by the Gulfstream company.  

The bottom line I hear from your posts is that your time is far too valuable to take out part of your day and weigh your loaded TT & TV to get a baseline weight.  Proper weight and balance is an issue of safety, not only for you but for all who travel on public highways.  You time is not so precious that it excuses your obligation to ensure that you do not endanger others.  I hope I am misunderstanding you.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>