This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

P-pod for dry camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-pod for dry camping?
    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 2:38pm
+1 to OG and Olddawgsrule
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:31am
I would say all good points to make sure that your weights are within specs, but I think it's a mistake to think that if you have sufficient 'reserve capacity' under your towing limits you're good to go.  To me, trailer balance and sway control seem to be the things to worry about most.  Here's an argument that 'short wheelbase' trailers (which I think we all have here) are particularly prone to instability:

https://rv.org/blogs/news/short-wheelbases-and-accidents-go-hand-in-hand

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:46am
Good read, thanks Mark.  This would agree with Offgrid's many comments and posts in the past stating to keep at least 11% or more weight on the tongue for reducing sway and for the most part eliminating the 'white knuckle' driving experience.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by MarkW

I would say all good points to make sure that your weights are within specs, but I think it's a mistake to think that if you have sufficient 'reserve capacity' under your towing limits you're good to go.  To me, trailer balance and sway control seem to be the things to worry about most.  Here's an argument that 'short wheelbase' trailers (which I think we all have here) are particularly prone to instability:

So does that mean you will go weigh your rig (not just the trailer and tongue) and report the results here relative to your limits?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 9:26am

...Here's an argument that 'short wheelbase' trailers (which I think we all have here) are particularly prone to instability:

Interesting article.  I've never seen the "back-of-ball ratio" discussed before.  I believe that's the ratio of hitch ball-to-trailer axle/hitch ball-to-rear bumper.  50% = marginal-to-bad whereas 75% = good-great.

Not sure how that's measured on dual-axle trailers...maybe halfway between the axles?

High BOB potentially equates to higher tongue weights as well, so that would also contribute to more stability.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:07am
Thanks for the interesting article MarkW.  I agree that TV capacity is only one of many elements to be considered in safely towing a trailer.

Here is another trailer weight calculator that may be of use:
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:14pm
Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes overloaded.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Thanks for the interesting article MarkW.  I agree that TV capacity is only one of many elements to be considered in safely towing a trailer.

Here is another trailer weight calculator that may be of use:

That happens to be one the calculators used for axle placement in the builder's forum.It'sused quite a bit!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:10pm
Wow! That proves Fords are tough trucks.

But, the all time overloads are in the coffee country of Colombia where the ubiquitous Willys is the ultimate pack mule.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKf2GlFnwfI  In fact, when I lived in Colombia, I lost a friend who was taking is coffee down from the mountain to sell and went off a cliff from being overloaded.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:21pm

I would say all good points to make sure that your weights are within specs, but I think it's a mistake to think that if you have sufficient 'reserve capacity' under your towing limits you're good to go.  To me, trailer balance and sway control seem to be the things to worry about most.  

First you say "to make sure that your weights are within specs", yet then "I think it's a mistake to think that if you have sufficient 'reserve capacity' ".

Dude your going both ways here.. You're either with factory spec's or your not. The mistake is believing you can go beyond 'comfortably'. There's a reason for those 'spec's'! 

Take the time and hit the scales. My town on Saturdays has no issues at all. Free if they don't print a ticket. They had fun with me and what I was doing! I know what my dry weight is of trailer alone (not stated, actual) telling me how much I can load. I know what the trailer hitched is and combined weight. No guessing, no "it works for me", no BS, actual weights.

It's worth the time..

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>