This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

P-pod for dry camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-pod for dry camping?
    Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 8:25am
Thanks. Please let us know what the actual weights are of the trailer, tongue, and TV. Many of us have been surprised, myself included, and discount any weight estimates based on FRs optimistic numbers. That's especially been the case for tongue weight.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 8:48am
Will do.  I ordered a new bathroom scale for the trailer to measure the tongue weight directly, which we'll be able to adjust with loading (there's plenty of storage at the rear of the trailer where we could transfer weight to lighten the tongue if needed).  I do have a hard time believing the manufacturer's dry weight rating could be way off (if only for liability reasons), but eventually we'll get it to a scale.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:07am
I couldn't reconcile about 250-300 lbs on my trailer weight, it's just heavier than FR says it is, which is suspiciously identical to the published marketing numbers, so I don't believe they actually weighed mine. So

But it's the tongue weight that surprises most people. You need to be very careful moving weight aft to reduce it, there are known sway incidents that have occurred around 10-11% tongue weight on rpods. I did a thread and survey on this back around 2018 you should be able to find with the advanced search if you are interested. It's important to have but you don't want to count on sway control to save an inherently unstable trailer either.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:23am
Yep.  My experience with towing our trailerable sailboat (a bit lighter but in the same ballpark) is that it only ever got squirrely when the tongue was underweight due to loading (just as you'd expect).  I don't plan to make any big changes with the RV given that I know I have a workable configuration now, but it'll be interesting to see where things are.  
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:47am
As long as it's within specs (legal) and you're happy with it then you're ok. I had to pull some load out of the front of mine to get the tongue weight under my 500 lb TV hitch limit. I just put my second propane cylinder and anything heavy in the front storage in the tow vehicle as far forward as possible. That way I'm within specs and don't go below 11% tongue weight. Ended up at 3700 lbs with 500 on the tongue when the fresh water tank is full. Drops to a bit above 400 when the water moves to the back of the bus in the gray tank. Axle weights all within limits without the edge but the ride is much better with it tensioned.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 9:57am
I just went out and measured the tongue weight at 285#, so between 9 and 10 percent.  Given that, it's probably worth shifting some more weight forward next time (which is easy enough to do -- there's a lot of storage up front).  
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 12:25pm
Definitely +1  When we towed our 177 with an Explorer with tongue weight at 9 - 10% we did experience some minor sway, even with the Curt anti-sway bar.  Once the 11% figure was reached, no more sway, even under very windy conditions.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 1:54pm
By all means move some weight forward, but go weigh the trailer so you know where 11% is,don't assume a trailer weight based on FRs numbers.

The other test is to check to see that the trailer is stable in tow and that the yaw oscillations are well damped. Without any antisway engaged make a lane change in a straight road at highway speed. A well balanced trailer will make at most one swing before coming back in line behind the TV. Start slow and be very careful doing this, keeping a hand on your manual brake control in case things get out of hand. See attached demo

sway
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:03pm
I actually did tow the first couple of hours with the sway control not tightened down as a test.  It wasn't as comfortable that way, but was OK, and we did plenty of lane changes.  I never felt the need to engage the brake controller manually (except for a parking lot test to make sure it worked).  The hot water heater actually was (and is) drained until we stop having nights that drop below freezing, but at 5 gal, that's only 40#.  

If you choose to tow up to your max specs you are significantly increasing your risk profile but are still legal, so that’s up to you, but If you choose to tow outside of your rated specs and have a wreck you can be found negligent. 

The only way we could be outside (or even close to) rated specs is if the trailer is at least 400# heavier than what's on the sticker.  If the manufacturer was selling trailers that far off, they'd be the ones looking at a huge potential liability, and given the massive number of warning stickers plastered all over the trailer, I feel confident that their army of lawyers wouldn't let them understate the trailer weight by several hundred lbs.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:25pm
My test suggestion was to look for inadequately damped yaw during sudden directional changes, not necessarily whether it was comfortable or not. That's kinda subjective. But it sounds like if you weren't comfortable then moving more weight onto the tongue is still a good idea.Then point is to have a stable rig and not to have to depend on sway control to save you in an emergency.

My trailer was 300 lbs heavier than I expected it to be, carefully accounting for all options and items on board. Just saying.

Up to you of course if you get an actual weight on that and your 3 axles so you can check against your trailer and TV specs but it's not hard to do and you can often do it for free at your county waste transfer station.

Bottom line is that you have a marginal TV for that trailer and have already gone to a lot of effort to keep your weights down, great job. I congratulate you for that. Most folks wouldnt. Why not follow up with actual weights and confirm you've nailed it?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>