R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Best Internet Options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SkeeterPod11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Internet Options?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm
Hi all,

I’m traveling and staying at a mix of state parks, national parks and boondocking on USFS and BLM lands. WiFi being rarely available. I was curious of some preferred internet options you fellow RVers have found beneficial during your travels. Im open to all options. Im living on a fixed income so budget options are great but Id be willing to splurge on something if proven a more logical and superior choice. Cell phone reception is also usually not available where we camp too so take that into account, and I’d also love to near if anyone has any suggestions for that as well. Ive read about antenna that can be used to help strengthen cellular strength but dont have any experience with such products. Thanks for the time.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 2:27pm
I use cellular data and a signal booster and directional antenna. It will do a good job boosting an existing signal but if there is none it won’t help. The other mobile internet option is satellite but that’s very expensive, and you can’t cheat and use a stationary sat subscription unless you are staying in one place because sat internet is based on relatively small beam footprints so every time you move a hundred miles or so the system has to be reconfigured.

The directional antenna is from Wilson Electronics as is the low loss coax cable. The booster is from WeBoost. They are affiliated companies. You also need an adapter to connect the coax to the booster antenna input and a telescopic pole and some clamps. Takes a few minutes to set up and find the best signal strength. Cost was about $300 or do IIRC.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 3:39pm
We camp in several places where cellular service is just nonexistent; booster or not. Satellite service is a mixed bag; available almost anywhere, but subject to trees, terrain, horrible latency, and big $$$.

One upcoming thing is Starlink. It will also be above average in terms of cost, but will also have trees and terrain issues. Right now, there are not enough satellites in orbit to make it viable. That may change toward the end of 2021. However, the latency will be closer to terrestrial services like cable and DSL.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

...Satellite service is a mixed bag; available almost anywhere, but subject to trees, terrain, horrible latency, and big $$$....

No kidding.  Wonder if anyone here has any experience with this:

https://satellitephonestore.com/catalog/sale/satellite-terminals/inmarsat-bgan

Or these:

https://satellitephonestore.com/catalog/sale/wifi-satellite-hotspot
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:09pm
I gave up on the idea of satellite phone/hotspot. Instead, I got my amateur radio license. I have the ability to communicate with HF, VHF, and UHF. There are a number of VHF and UHF repeaters that can be used. HF is for long-haul communications. VHF/UHF are much more limited in range, which is why repeaters are needed. It does not give me Internet. Nor does it allow me to make phone calls directly. However, if needed, someone could patch me through to a phone line. It is one way to make sure that even if we are out of cell and WiFi range, we can still reach out if needed. Or, someone could get a message to us if needed.

My call sign is KO4GOG.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 4:18am
It may be more of an East Coast thing but I generally find that if no cell signal is available at a campsite it’s because it’s down in a hole and there is decent connectivity somewhere nearby. There are lots of cell towers around they’re just blocked. There has only been one time where I got a signal with the directional antenna but nothing with just the booster and roof antenna on the TV. That was in dead flat eastern NC, line of sight to a distant cell tower, about 30 miles.

My booster sits in the tow vehicle while on the road so if I don’t get a signal at all at the campsite I leave it in the car and drive to a high spot once or twice a day to have comms and data. Usually it’s only a few miles. Sometimes just a short hike up a hill with only the phone works also. If I do get any kind of signal at the campsite I set up the directional antenna, move the booster to the trailer. That generally brings in enough signal strength to stream video. Survey the whole campground, I’ve often gotten a signal in the higher campsites but not lower ones.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:06am
Originally posted by SkeeterPod11

Hi all,

I’m traveling and staying at a mix of state parks, national parks and boondocking on USFS and BLM lands. WiFi being rarely available. I was curious of some preferred internet options you fellow RVers have found beneficial during your travels. Im open to all options. Im living on a fixed income so budget options are great but Id be willing to splurge on something if proven a more logical and superior choice. Cell phone reception is also usually not available where we camp too so take that into account, and I’d also love to near if anyone has any suggestions for that as well. Ive read about antenna that can be used to help strengthen cellular strength but dont have any experience with such products. Thanks for the time.

What is your intended use?  Email, news, searches, movies, social media? 
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:36am
If your phone can do wifi tethering (most will) and you have sufficient data, you can use that for internet for your laptop, tablet, etc. Depending on your carrier and data plan, you may be able to add 10-50 gb of data per month at a reasonable cost. This would generally be adequate for 'normal' internet use.

You may also need the booster (and omni or directional antenna) to help amplify the cellular signals, as mentioned above.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:51am
If SkeeterPod11 (aka the OP) is located/camps out west here there are plenty of places that have zero, zilch, nada as far as cell signals go.  geewizard's question is a great one...what is the intended use?  Email, Netflix, or something in between?  If the former, then something like the Iridium GO! Satellite Hotspot might do the trick.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:25am
I'm often in paces where there is some, minimal but unreliable cell service. I don't have a booster but would be interested in buying ne.  Any thoughts on considerations or recommendations for which one?
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>