R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Best Internet Options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Internet Options?
    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

I'm often in paces where there is some, minimal but unreliable cell service. I don't have a booster but would be interested in buying ne.  Any thoughts on considerations or recommendations for which one?

See my post above for what I have. WeBoost makes several versions, I just use the Slim which is their lowest cost model. Just don’t expect miracles.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
SkeeterPod11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SkeeterPod11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 1:43pm
Thank you all for your input. Please continue to post. So happy to have such a great community to lean on. & Im mainly in need of internet for netflix/video streaming and social media for work & emails/communication with family. I have AT&T as a cell provider and my girlfriend has T-mobile so we are exploring options regarding data and hotspot plans. I am also interested in options such as mention by offgrid. Your replys are greatly appreciated. Ive learn a lot from your input. Im going to continue to explore all options. Cell data Hot spot and satellite hotspot appear to be the best options. All posters feel free to post your data plans or providers along with capabilities and usages.
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 3:10pm
Just as an FYI...when we need to get work done from the RV we select campgrounds that we know from experience have a strong WiFi signal or locations where we know/are pretty sure our cell signal will be strong (so that we can use a hotspot).  The latter are usually near towns.

For any kind of video streaming you'll need a better connection than you normally get at most commercial campgrounds, although we have run in to some that have upgraded their WiFi to the point that streaming is possible.

I don't know whether even the most expensive satellite options would be sufficient for Netflix.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 3:27pm
From OG's post on this message:

The directional antenna is from Wilson Electronics as is the low loss coax cable. The booster is from WeBoost. They are affiliated companies. You also need an adapter to connect the coax to the booster antenna input and a telescopic pole and some clamps. Takes a few minutes to set up and find the best signal strength. Cost was about $300 or do IIRC.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:26pm
If anyone is interested I’ll put together a shopping list. Just please don’t expect miracles. I generally pick up a couple of bars if I have at least one to start with. The bars are a very subjective metric. Unfortunately Iphones no longer provide access to the actual signal strength data. Thanks for nothing Apple. 👎. I hear Android phones do still provide that data.

Keeping service with two different providers might be a good idea. Gives a better shot at picking up a tower. If you get one connected you can set it as a hot spot and make WiFi calls from the other phone using its signal.

Edit: spoke to soon, looks like signal strength might be accessible again on the iPhone. Last time I checked it wasn't was disabled. Here’s how you access the field test menu:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macworld.com/article/3346027/how-to-see-your-true-cellular-signal-strength-with-the-iphone-field-test-app.amp.html

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:41pm
I've worked remotely significantly and effectively over the past few years in a corporate setting (calls/VPN). I have AT&T on my iPhone and also a Verizon 8800L Jetpack as a back up. I also use a WeBoost Drive Sleek in my RV (set the antenna wherever works best) and cradle the iPhone when needed if the AT&T signal is weak (the WeBoost does work to increase the AT&T signal if there is one). Both the AT&T and Verizon I use the "unlimited" plans (100GB/30GB hotspot for AT&T, 30GB Verizon). It works well and allows me to toggle between the two major carriers as needed.
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 7:04am
Consider that many RV parks specifically say that video streaming is not permitted. Not that it stops people from the speeds I have experienced.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:48am
Originally posted by SkeeterPod11

Thank you all for your input. Please continue to post. So happy to have such a great community to lean on. & Im mainly in need of internet for netflix/video streaming and social media for work & emails/communication with family. I have AT&T as a cell provider and my girlfriend has T-mobile so we are exploring options regarding data and hotspot plans. I am also interested in options such as mention by offgrid. Your replys are greatly appreciated. Ive learn a lot from your input. Im going to continue to explore all options. Cell data Hot spot and satellite hotspot appear to be the best options. All posters feel free to post your data plans or providers along with capabilities and usages.
If you do get one of the satellite options, pay careful attention to the data volume limit. They have been getting more liberal in recent years, but I have acquaintances who run into their data limit on the 4th or 5th of the month. Then they have to access their account and put another $5 or $10 or something into the meter to get more. Then rinse/repeat every 4 or 5 days until the end of the month.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by PilotPodder

I've worked remotely significantly and effectively over the past few years in a corporate setting (calls/VPN). I have AT&T on my iPhone and also a Verizon 8800L Jetpack as a back up. I also use a WeBoost Drive Sleek in my RV (set the antenna wherever works best) and cradle the iPhone when needed if the AT&T signal is weak (the WeBoost does work to increase the AT&T signal if there is one). Both the AT&T and Verizon I use the "unlimited" plans (100GB/30GB hotspot for AT&T, 30GB Verizon). It works well and allows me to toggle between the two major carriers as needed.

That looks like a nice system! 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 7:43pm
Let's talk about money. What's it costing you to feed your habit?

For us:

Hardware: Three phones - iPhone SE, iPhone 12 and old iPhone 6 (see below),  iPad and two MacBooks.

Plan(s):

AT&T shared mobile data 6 GB + payment for iPhone 12 and SE ==> total $134.98 mt.

Visible unlimited data plan on old unlocked iPhone 6 ==> $25.00 mt.

When traveling/camping I tether Visible data phone to GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router. That gives us unlimited data to all of our devices (FredNet) and has worked surprisingly well for the last two years. GoogleTV, Netflix, HBO etc.

So the total is $159.98/mt for two new iphones (including phone payment) and unlimited data.

I can't figure a cheaper way to get unlimited "tetherable" data.

I would love to hear a cheaper way!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>