R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Best Internet Options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Internet Options?
    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:13am
Sounds pretty good to me. I guess you could use only a data plan and make all your calls via the wifi router and dump ATT, but you’d need to keep both voice phones colocated with the WiFi router for that.,

I understand the Visible data plan is limited to 5 mbps and a single tethered device. The 5 mbps should be enough to stream, is the single device limitation the reason for your separate WiFi router or is there another reason you don’t use the phone hotspot directly?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:43am
Even though Visible says they piggy back on Verizon Network, my experience is that the coverage can be a bit spotty. AT&T does seem to have better coverage...for me. That's one reason I'm hanging on to AT&T. And because I have two phones financed with them. And because Visible doesn't offer international (Canada) plan. It has been helpful having a network backup.

Interesting that I have not run into the single device hotspot limitation with Visible. I even mentioned to a rep and they said, "Good for you."

On the old iPhone 6 I consistently measure about 2 mbps w/Visible tethered or not. Many users brag much, much faster data speeds. I wish I had a newer unlocked phone to try dual sim and test data speeds. I will when iPhone 12 is paid off.  2 mbps has actually worked fine for vast majority of what I use it for. It's usually just two of us browsing or one connection streaming. Don't need 4K streaming.

I use the router mainly for convenience. I set it up in camp or car. Only takes a minute. All devices remember the WiFi network and the router has better WiFi range than mobile hotspot.

BTW, Visible advertises as $40.00/mt but they make it easy to reduce to $25.00/mt with "Party Pay". Also, it is a no-contract service. I have suspended the account for a couple of months and come back without penalty or new setup. Now I just keep it going @ $25.00 /mt and use mobile hotspot often when just going about town or in the woods for streaming music. My AT&T 6 gig shared data plan is hardly touched. With iPhone you can still use AT&T network for calls and use hotspot for data. Dual sim would be a great solution.

Probably more info than you were looking for. Smile

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:10am
Just to add some data points...

I am located on the Delaware River in Central NJ. Using the "Fast" app, I just measured:

iPhone 6 Visible  ==> 1.9 Mbps
iPhone 12 AT&T ==> 4.5 Mbps

iPhone 12 Home WiFi ==> 220 Mbps

fred
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:13am
Visible IS Verizon. It's just a different marketing plan. If you compare coverage, Verizon is better in some places, and ATT is better in some places. Around our neighborhood, Verizon generally has better coverage. Sprint and T-Mobile are OK in metro areas, generally not so much in rural areas.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:28am
Although Visible is Verizon, data prioritization seems to favor Verizon customers - at least that's what I've read on the inter webs. Wink

From Visible’s Legal Disclosures page as of 2/7/2020:
“We may prioritize your data behind other traffic if the cell site you are connected to begins experiencing high demand during the duration of your session. Once the demand on the site lessens, or if you connect to a different site not experiencing high demand, your speed will return to normal.”

fred
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:06pm
I’m still using an iPhone 6 as my regular phone. I get 22 mbps on ATT LTE here in Christiansburg VA. So I don’t think your 2mbps is being limited by the phone, must be throttling by Visible. 2 mbps is getting marginal for streaming, 5 should be fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 10:35am
We use Consumer cellular for our IPhone 10 and IPhone 6, we used wifi if available or we use the hotspot feature on data tp stream using our Roku or Sirius radio.
our plan works well for us up and down the east coast and runs $50.00 a month. We also used to on our trip out to Yellowstone had good coverage.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 1:24pm
That sounds like a good deal, Leo! But, more importantly, what do you use for bait?! Thumbs Up

fred
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:15pm
Alot of tough decisions cut bait or shrimp..............bottles or cans!!
Looking forward to Assateague! Finger mullet and shrimp!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:02am
Originally posted by offgrid

I’m still using an iPhone 6 as my regular phone. I get 22 mbps on ATT LTE here in Christiansburg VA. So I don’t think your 2mbps is being limited by the phone, must be throttling by Visible. 2 mbps is getting marginal for streaming, 5 should be fine.

You got me digging OG. I even had Visible send me a new SIM since it seemed no matter what I did or where I went the FAST app kept reporting 2 Mbps. Turns out, since the FAST app is a Netflix server app it's well know that Netflix *does* throttle to 2 Mbps (at least on Verizon). I ran the test(s) on Ookla's Speedtest app and consistently get 10-12 Mbps @ home. I always did think it was odd how well Google YoutubeTV was streaming w/2Mbps.

fred
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>