R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMacerator pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Macerator pump
    Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 3:32pm
Has anyone used or have a Macerator pump? I do not need it for dumping at 100 feet or more in fact just regular dumping with out using the Slinky hose would be great. I have been shopping around and found one on line that is very reasonable.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 4:18pm
Yes, I've got a FloJet RV Portable Waste Pump.  Its well made and works really, really well.  It came in a nifty case:

Here it is attached to my sewer outlet:

I wired an inline switch and a 12v accessory plug onto the FloJet so that I could plug it into the (very) handy 12v accessory outlet I had installed on the side of my battery box:

Obviously, you shouldn't use your white RV fresh water hose with the pump, so I bought a grey hose for the FloJet.  To make life easier, I installed quick-connect fittings on the FloJet and the hose.  I also installed a second quick-connect on the free end of the hose so that I can connect the hose end-to-end in storage and prevent any leakage.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 4:39pm
Outbound - any info regarding any lenght limitation to the pump/hose?  I would need about 175' to reach my septic system access at home.  Thanks!
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 4:40pm
The FloJet is handy for:

- Emptying the tanks at home.  Some campgrounds 'round here (the more rustic ones that I love) simply do not have dump stations.  Other campgrounds close their dump stations between October and May.  And sometimes, at the end of a long weekend, the long, long line at the dumpstation is depressing and we just want to head home.
- Tall campground sewer connections.  We ran into a 12" sewer connection at a campground a few weeks ago; the inlet for the sewer was 6-7" above the r-pod's outlet.  The FloJet made easy work of emptying the tank.
- Winterizing (getting every last drop out of the tanks).  My town does have a dumpstation, so last year I drove down there to meticulously empty the tanks.  But, they have strange hours (Mon-Fri 7:00 am - 3:00 pm) which aren't very convenient.  Dumping at home makes life easier and doesn't require taking the afternoon off from work.

But the reason that pushed me to buy a FloJet was to move grey water into our black tank.  Here's why:
- Most of the campgrounds we stay at do not have on-site sewers
- Although there are only two of us, we can fill the 36 gallon grey tank in 2-3 days.  Long showers are the main reason.
- Filling the 36 gallon black tank, however, would easily take us at least two weeks, if not three.  There's LOTS of capacity in there, and I want to use it!

So, when we go for a 3 or 4 day stay at a campground, the amount of grey water becomes an issue.  We'd either take short showers (not a popular option) or use the campground bathhouse or break camp, hook up the trailer and go to the dumpstation and re-setup.

With the FloJet, on the second morning after we've showered, I hook the FloJet up to the sewer and run the hose inside and down the toilet.  I then run the pump for a few minutes and half empty the grey tank.  The whole process takes 15 minutes tops.  At the end of our stay, we just go to the dumpstation as normal.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by David

Outbound - any info regarding any lenght limitation to the pump/hose?  I would need about 175' to reach my septic system access at home.  Thanks!

Hose Size  //  Maximum Hose Length
5/8” (16 mm)  //  25 feet (7.5m) max
3/4” (19 mm)  //  50 feet (15m) max

Recommended lengths are based on horizontal
discharge. Longer discharge runs create higher
resistance and may result in the pump motor over
heating.

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 6:13pm
One thing that is handy with those things.  If you can get your camper close to a bathroom window at home you have your own dump station.  I know people that do that.  Its especially good for really cleaning your holding tanks.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Originally posted by David

Hose Size  //  Maximum Hose Length
5/8” (16 mm)  //  25 feet (7.5m) max
3/4” (19 mm)  //  50 feet (15m) max

Recommended lengths are based on horizontal
discharge. Longer discharge runs create higher
resistance and may result in the pump motor over
heating.

Thanks!  Though it sounds like I'm back to my origial plan of running a 4" drain pipe, tied into the main drain, punching a hole in the foundation, and trenching out close to the driveway Ouch.

I hadn't thought about using it for the black/grey tank scheme - sounds interesting.  I've often wondered why they put such large black tanks in TTs and about the same size grey.  Your way sounds "safer" than the other method I've heard of: "equalizing" the tanks by (with the drain cap on firmly) opening the grey water valve and then opening the black water valve.  Since water seeks to be level, the full grey tank flows into the less full black tank.  Once "equalized", shut the black valve and then the grey valve.  It sounds like things might get a little messy at the dump station, when the cap is removed for dumping.

Terry - My baths are still too far away...but a good idea.  It would be nice to have some sort of set up at home for those really good tank cleaning/flushing times.
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 8:27pm
I have found a site that has all the shall we say all the poop. The site has all you ever wanted about moving poop they talk of moving it more than 100 feet. Here it is   poop sheets by phred   I am serious this is a site. Thanks for the advice i have found the one that Outbound has for about $175.00 with shipping i am sold ordering on Monday. Outbound great idea with blue tarp and wire into battery box cause they call for a 20 fuse and # 10 or 12 wire. Great pics wish i could load some up on here will have to go to puter school to learn how. Phred has run his sewer over 250 feet,don't know how well it worked.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 10:24pm
Outbound great idea with blue tarp...

To be honest, I used the tarp only because the FloJet was easier to see against the blue background as opposed to the dark soil.  When dumping at home, I do put a dishpan underneath to catch any spill when I remove the FloJet.  There's never much, but there is always some.  As with the normal dumping procedure using a stinky slinky, empty the black tank first and then follow with the grey.

...wire into battery box cause they call for a 20 fuse and # 10 or 12 wire.

Thats right.  My 12v accessory outlet is fused for 20 amps.  The label on the FloJet itself says it draws 16 amps.
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 7:03am
I wish we had a single dump but ours is a 177 and we have 2 dumps and would be to much hardware hanging under camper to make it into one unit. I thought the Flowject had a port for a gray water inlet if so a short length of garden hose would not be to bad to handle at least for me. My black tank is in front of the axle and gray is back of axel glad they are marked all my other units have had one dump fitting. Not on wish list anymore now it is a must have thanks for all info. Next thing is to find a GOOD hose that does not wrap itself around your arm while trying to coil it i will get a 50 foot 5/8 and cut 10 foot off and make a short 10 foot to use in places where i do not need the 50. My last white hose came from a place that did not handle good hoses and that hose i did not even try to coil it up after last use as we were parked next to a garbage can and that is all i got to say about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>