R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning fridge on propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running fridge on propane
    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:18pm
I have never run my fridge on propane as I have always used a campground with hookup and i run on 12 volt on the highway.  We did a night over at a Love's truck stop so I was going to run it on propane.  When I switched to propane the button started flashing as well as a triangle warning light on right.  I shut it down and tried again and same issue I pushed the triangle button and the gas button appeared to hold on with no flashing.  I went out and pulled the lower vent panel to the fridge and I didn't see any lit flame.....so I just shut the fridge down for the night.  It is a 3 way Dometic fridge on a r189/.  Should you be able to see a flame?
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:30pm
Yes, the lower right side of your fridge is the combustion area, you should be able to see and hear the flame.  When pushing the button for propane, did you hear the igniter clicking?  It will make three attempts and if it does not light, will shut down for about 5 minutes before it will allow you to try again.

Basic questions - Is your propane tank turned on?  Are you certain you have propane in the tank, i.e. it isn't empty or near empty.

If you haven't run it there is a good chance you may have spider webs and or bees nests in the combustion area.  You would need to pick up a can of compressed air and blow the combustion area out.

I tend to be on the opposite end of the spectrum as I almost always use propane.  Normally boondock so it is rare for me to even use the 110 option.  Tried the 12v battery option once, that was about 10 years ago just to make sure it worked.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:34pm
I can tell you I go for long periods of time without running fridge on propane.  The last time I used it, it took multiple tries to get it to work.  Some have said fire up propane stove to get gas into cabin, me I just tried many times it finally worked.  My ritual now is use fridge on propane at start of season prior to setting out.  I think that improves performance.  Not using it makes it harder or longer to get it going.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:35pm
I only recently started using the 12V option. That is only because I installed a DC to DC charger for the LiFePO4 battery and ran a dedicated power line from the truck to the trailer through a new 2-pole connector to power it. Before that, the wiring was inadequate to both charge the prior dual 6V batteries and to run the refrigerator. Still, when we stop, it is either to propane or shore power if available. The refrigerator pulls too much power to use otherwise.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:42pm
+1 to Jato, I have propane and tank is full, fridge was clean and clear, I think I took 5 tries before it lit, waited 5 minutes between tries.
Mike Carter
2015 178
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:58pm
I had a full tank....30 lb.  I had started the stove first and it was working.  I lit the stove first  It seemed to give an error the first two times I tried.....the triangle button lit.  After I shut the refridge down I starte the heater and it worked fine.  I tried the refridge again and I never saw a flame.  We were in a truck stop and the truck beside us was running so I can't say I could hear if it was trying to light.  I have the camper home now so I will try some troubleshooting.  I really wasn't certain about how well you would see the flame....seems odd the lights on the front of fridge indicated it was in propane mode even though it wasn't lit.....the AC mode gives a definite error when the power goes out.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 6:08pm
It is confusing.  Mine stays in propane although not lit.   It does indicate it's not lit as I recall.  As posted mine took numerous tries which I blamed on non-use.  I know it took me 30 mins of trying.  I added a start the fridge on propane to my de-winterizing tasks:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:30am
The service section of this manual may be helpful.
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM8xxx.pdf
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 12:57pm
Tried it at home....I made sure the stove worked then started refrig on propane and went out to check the flame and it was lit.....go figure.  At least now I know what to look for.  Only issue left is the 12 volt water pump....it runs but couldn't get it to pump.  I assume I have to pull the mattress to get to the pump?  Hoping there is some sort of debris causing it to not pump.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:36pm
Do not know location of water pump on a 189 however when you find it you will see a small screw off filter on the pump that has a small screen.  That may have crud in it that prevents the pump to work properly, an easy fix to unscrew and clean. 

In the past were you able to get H and C water at all your outlets, sinks, shower, toilet?  If some work and others do not, there are screens at the outlets that may also have small particles embedded causing less than optimal performance or none at all.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>