Topic ClosedOvernight rest stops at Loves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overnight rest stops at Loves
    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 9:10am
Having a nice hot shower was one of the reasons we went to a full bath trailer.  Though it ain't like sitting in a dual wide jacuzzi tub with jets blasting away on your tired body, the showers in the full bath trailers provide adequate water and space to have a decent, but quick shower.  We just returned from the SF Bay Area where I was helping my son remodel his kitchen.  The shower was perfect for getting cleaned up afterward. 

The place where we stayed was well within commuting range of all the Bay Area points of interest and the cost was way, way less than any hotel or motel where we could have stayed.  It's also nice to have a bed and pillows you are used to and to have your own cooties instead of some strangers.  

But all that being said, as OG suggested, it's really a matter of personal preference.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:43am
Everyone has their personal preferences and dislikes based on experiences. I too have done lots of business traveling, much more than I care to even remember, and have been in motels and hotels I didn’t like. But I’ve stayed in campgrounds that are worse for dirt, noise, crowding and rude neighbors. From my travels I have taken away an aversion to commercial airports and airline travel but not hotels. You couldn’t get me to go somewhere that required airline travel for recreational purposes.

It’s quite easy now to identify hotels and campgrounds to stay away from as we have the internet available. Trip Advisor is quite good for example. And if you want to explore some urban amenities like museums or galleries on your travels campgrounds can be pretty inconvenient.

In any case, I was just pointing out that there is an alternative if rest stops, truck stops, Wally Worlds, Cracker Barrels, etc don’t appeal. There is no right or wrong answer here. We have small enough trailers (well, maybe not the new really big rpods) that we can stay in hotels and motels if we choose to. If that doesn’t work for you then that’s ok too. Just sayin’ it’s worked out very well for us, especially my wife who enjoys camping but not for weeks in end, she wants a nice hot bath, more space, and a good restaurant meal once in awhile.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:39pm
My thought is my short stops are just to get sleep before moving on.  Also I can drive much further if the stop off is just to sleep with no disconnect from TV or set up and no reservations required.  When I go to a campground then I want to get to them early enough enjoy the location and amenities.  We stay at least 2 days or more at the campgrounds to do some exploring. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:58pm
+1
Not a fan of motels. Our younger daughter wound up bringing bedbugs home from a motel stay once (to her house, not ours). I much prefer to sleep in our own bed. I also do not rest well in unfamiliar places, so I don't sleep well in motels.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:38pm
Motels/Hotels are one of my least favorites places to be....besides noises and loud or rude neighbors, things happen such as faulty A/C or heat at 3 in the morning, cold showers in the morning, pipes banging, lovers next door banging, phones randomly ringing, (sometimes its a lady of the night) cockroaches, bedbugs(!), maids knocking at 6 am, and my all time personal favorite, when Habib Patel saved my credit card number for his own use 2 weeks later and it took me 4 months to straighten that one out.

Before you say yeah, picking the lousy cheap places....NOPE. This kinda crap happens even at LaQuinta and Motel 6 and Motel 8, Amerisuites, Hampton Inn, Americas Best Value Inn, Holiday Inn Express etc etc etc....

If  you only stay in motels a few times a year, chances are you won't have bad luck....but I used to stay in about 300 motel rooms a year, for over 5 years, early in my career, and I have learned to HATE the experience.

I pull my bed around behind me for a reason!  Just sayin....Wink

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:36pm
As a counterpoint, we just don’t stay in those places. It’s safer and not really much more expensive than a private campground to stay at a motel when enroute somewhere. We use those stops as an opportunity to wash clothes without waiting around a laundromat, get a nice meal out, and the wife to get a nice hot bath. Followed by a good nights sleep and a free breakfast. Then back to boondocking after a night in “civilization”. Works for us.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:23pm
The truck stops are a not a great choice, but they work in a pinch. I ask inside where to park. At a few, I was directed to parking away from the big rigs. That was better. I always go inside regardless of what RV parky says and ask if it is okay. I don't assume it is.

The worst thing about some Walmart parking lots is the gathering of youths with loud cars that like to rev their engines. It does not make for a restful night, at least until they finally clear out. Some of them seem to deliberately make noise near RVs. Cracker Barrel has the problem of cars parking in the Bus/RV lanes, blocking them so that they are not available. This is regardless of whether there is adequate parking in the automobile parking lot. However, the Cracker Barrel restaurants that we have stayed at have been a good choice overall. We did have one where someone was running a non-inverter generator. That was not very considerate of that person.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:35pm
Good points....I was beside an abandoned RV so only had a truck on one side but I thought the same as it was tight quarters.  The Cracker Barrel or WalMarts may be the best option for me.  You can usually find them right off the interstate so it is works well for a quick stop.  We are also looking into Harvest Hosts as they seem to have some interesting stop overs at winerys, breweries, and farms.  Not sure how far off t he beaten path they would be.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:05pm
Two very good reasons to NOT park your RV in the truck parking area:

One: those guys and gals have less options and are on a mandatory DOT rest break. Truck parking can be in very short supply these days, but you can park your RV in a variety of other places...RV parks, campgrounds, Walmarts, rest areas, Cracker Barrels, or even at the front 'auto' area of the big truck stops.

Two: many trucks these days have horizontal exhaust (weed burner exhaust) for the main engine and the APU and sometimes that exhaust (depending on the prevailing breeze) can be sucked right into your camper windows or vents. 

You might wake up smelling the smoky smell, with or without a headache. Worst case, you might NOT wake up. We don't want that. 

Bonus third reason: Damages occur in truck stops as those large rigs maneuver forward and backward...a tired truck driver at 3 am might back right into your vehicle which is in his blind spot, and then drive off....it happens OFTEN.

Please...just say NO to parking in the truck parking areas.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:50pm
   Be careful in high crime areas we stopped at a Walmart that had security guards in parking lot. The security guard and a customer told us to be careful that there was a lot of crime in the parking lot to keep our door shut and locked. After a while I felt uneasy and drove on some place safer. Majority of Walmart's are safe but there are some located in high crime areas where you need to be careful. I generally look for other campers in parking lot and park near them. It is good if you have a dog to alert you if there is someone near your camper.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>