Topic ClosedOvernight rest stops at Loves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
podwerkz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overnight rest stops at Loves
    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:28am
My place is listed as Winford Station, Tulia Texas. 

I have lots of dates 'blocked out', but if you were to pass thru the Texas Panhandle and want to camp a night or two, just hit me up here and we'll ignore the blocked dates.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:06am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Yep I'm a host on Boondockers Welcome....I've met some interesting people!

Would you share how to find you on BW? 
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 8:49am
Yeah, I know what caliche is from growing up in the West. We don’t have it in the East that I’ve ever heard of. Clay and stone around here. There is a stone quarry about 3 miles from my place so I hope to get a decent price on the stuff, and I now have a tractor with a blade and box scraper so hopefully it won’t be too expensive. I’ll need to put in a couple culverts probably. But we just moved into the place Christmas so the roadbuilding project is probably about 10th on my list at the moment.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 8:30am
Hosting on BoondockersWelcome is free for the host....just sign up and offer up a spot or two. 

As far as a non-mushy surface for RVs, around here we use a lot of caliche...in fact this place literally has several truck loads of it as an all-weather surface for the 'parking lot' and the 'driveway'...and a portion of the RV spots. 

Caliche (2") is fairly cheap ($150/20,000 lbs delivered) and it works, but it does require a bit of maintenance now and then. Mixed with sand and spread around about 4-6" deep or so, then packed down with a heavy roller or tractor tires, its a very solid surface for parking vehicles on.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 7:00am
+1 to olddogsrule. Lots of nice off the beaten path options if you’re not in a big hurry. I’d like to host on boondockers welcome this year assuming I can get some roadway graded in to a couple of spots. I’ve found things have gotten a wee bit mushy over the winter. Don’t want to get anyone stuck...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:36pm
Yep I'm a host on Boondockers Welcome....I've met some interesting people!
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 6:21pm
I've used Boondocker's Welcome a lot on my trips from Florida to Maine. There's a small annual fee and then the stop is usually free (sometimes a small fee if they offer electricity/water and you use it). They now have a terrific new app.

Before COVID I met lots of nice folks but there's lots of communication with hosts so last year I was able to discuss in advance my social distancing practices (I was being very strict going home to see my very elderly mom). Especially as I do lots of my traveling by myself and have to walk my dog outside my camper, I've found this more comfortable than Walmart etc.
Julie
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 5:01pm
We had found a really nice rest area in NC....had a small pond and picnic tables and plenty of room to park but alas they didn't allow overnight parking.  I swear it seemed like some folks were doing camping out during the day there......maybe then they drive at night?
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 3:05pm
The internet availability and apps/forums/websites all built around travel, it is so much easier to find what you require as you travel through.

We do, every 5th - 7th day hit a spot that has Laundry and nice showers. Sometimes it's a campground (state or national) with good showers near a town with good laundry. Just us as we travel.Yet, on the road to a spot, I still had inland and look for a spot in-the-woods. Most times this is a county/state/federal owner land fairly close to the (or along) the route we travel. Now with even more sources available, a new friends land. 

I've come to know many folks that travel now. I find there's not much reason any longer to stay amongst the semi's.. unless you choose to. A few states we traveled through had great rest area sites, I mean awesome, just for the traveler. Alast those are currently shut down and post 'No Overnight Parking'. Hopefully they do come back.. Yet still, a few miles inland there's something if you research a bit. So much info out there if you look.

Safe Travels
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:20pm
My wife much prefers baths to showers, doesn’t matter the size of the shower, it’s still a shower. Personally if I get my 2 minute daily wet bath shower I’m fine. She can go a week or so but at around 5-6 days she will say she’s ready for a break from camping and cooking, which means a decent motel or hotel, a nice hot bath, followed by a restaurant meal of some interesting cuisine that we don’t cook at home and isn’t typically available right on the interstate. And washing clothes is much nicer at a motel than at your typical laundromat, where if you leave for 5 minutes your clothes might not be there when you get back. So that is our usual cycle, 5-6 nights at a remote campsite, a night in town, resupply, dump and refill tanks, swap empty propane tank if needed, wash clothes, then on to the next campsite. Rpods are very good for that cycle.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>