Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOvernight rest stops at Loves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overnight rest stops at Loves
    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:10am
If your slide-out doesnt hang over the next parking spot or into an access lane I would not see an issue either. If it does, especially around a busy truck stop in the truck parking area...my opinion is you are asking to have an impact. 

I drove truck for 40 years and I can tell you...sh*t happens. Over the course of my career I was awakened many times when my truck was hit by another truck pulling in, backing in, backing out, or some other maneuver. Usually at night. 

It is not fun being awakened from a loud crunch and a violent shaking and then scrambling to get dressed and exit your vehicle only to see that the offending vehicle is leaving in the dark...no way to catch them or identify the exact vehicle. Looking at your rig and seeing damaged and bent bodywork and pieces of your vehicle in a pile on the asphalt. 

I'd be careful parking around trucks....is all I'm sayin.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:58am
I will probably try Walmart or Cracker Barrel next time unless the Travel Center has RV parking.  I was just thinking if it doesn't stick out any further than the wheel it shouldn't be a problem.  We don't have to run it fully out just enough to be able to walk to the bed and access the bathroom.  I would tend to park with a bit more room on the slide out side.  My only fear is if someone parks too close on the door side and I can't get out.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 3:03pm
Yes you should run the slide out all the way if you are going to open it at all and do it in without stopping the operation once you have started it.  If you do not complete the operation the shwinteck motors can become out of sync which then will operate the slide out not being able to fully open or close the slide out on both ends, leaving one end of the slide out either partially open or closed.  Matter of fact it is better to keep the electrical switch engaged for a few seconds after the slide out stops moving.  This a good way to keep the motors in sync.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:19pm
I know this is an old thread but we are getting ready for a Maine excursion.  We are trying Harvest Hosts for 2 stops on our way there. They allow overnight stays just ask you to spend $ at the location.....usually a winery or beer garden so not an issue with me.  We'll see how it goes.  I used RV Parky to get an exit on the return trip that has a Cracker Barrel, a Walmart, and motels so I have all options available.  RV Parky is a pretty handy app.  I have been using Garmin's Basecamp to plan the route....it works pretty good but has a learning curve.  You have to add weigh points if you want to go a specific route or it tries to take you the "shortest" route.
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:21pm
Do you have a Maine destintation?
Julie
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:09pm
Another option is Boondockers Welcome....for a new guest signing up it's about $50 for a year and access to thousands of locations around the USA.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:26pm
We're staying at Moorings Oceanfront RV resort in Belfast for the majority and will be exploring from there.  On the way there we are stopping at 2 Harvest Host locations: South Towne Square Conneticut and Booth Bay Craft Brewery and Tavern
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:00pm
Double check the Walmarts before you plan a stay at one. Many have shut down overnights. I was surprised by how many as we travel south out of NH this past Jan/Feb. Most of this being local/State rulings, not Walmart.
I also saw a sign at Loves Truck Stop of commercial only for overnight parking. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:31pm
I will check and call ahead.....according to RV Parky they allow overnight...not sure how often they update the app.  The stop is in Fishkill, NY. It has a Cracker Barrel as well so I have another option, review says it is noisy at the CB .  The last review on the Walmart and Cracker Barrel was 4/29/21 so it was allowed then.  The Walmart had good reviews. There are also several motels there as a last resort.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:41pm
I make it a point with rare exceptions to go inside and ask, even if the RV Parky app says it is okay. If we stayed there before and if I see a number of other RVs there, I sometimes skip going in first. I still like to confirm. That lets the management know we are there. Sometimes, we have encountered places where RV Parky said no but the manager said yes. Other times it was the opposite.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>