Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOvernight rest stops at Loves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overnight rest stops at Loves
    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 6:25pm
We were coming back from Florida to Virginia and decided to try an overnight stay.  We stopped at a Love's truck stop.  There were probably 50 or 60 trucks in the back parking lot at 7 oclock.  We found a spot beside what looked like an abandoned class c motor home.  Parking was tight and the truck beside us had it's engine running idle until it left at about 2 am.  The sound didn't bug me but it was a bit much for my wife. I think we will try Walmart or Cracker Barrel next time.....although it was nice being able to get a nice hot up of coffee in the morning. 
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 6:43pm
Majority of big rigs run all night.  Either for heat, AC or on board electronics.  So if you park next to them be prepared.  It puts me to sleep.  The Walmarts and Cracker Barrels are good choices.  Just stay away from big rigs.  Rest stops have same issue, plus over crowded.  I recall driving a Class C from NJ to TN once, I stayed in a closed Wendy's.  An officer came by and asked why we were there, I said we were tired we just pulled off.  He took our vehicle info and left.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:35am
I agree with Mike. I used to see Walmarts as better choices (vs. Pilot/Loves/Rest Areas), as long as out of the major cities (rural ones have been great). As of last year (still this) many Walmarts have posted 'No Overnight Parking'. Be aware of this and check before pulling into one, you may be disappointed.

I head for the National Forests, State Forests, Conservation Land or just Public Land and find plenty of free camping in most states. Many of the 'old' in town places are disappearing. 

Safe Travels
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:43am
I have been used RV Parky on my phone and it usually says if overnight parking is okay.  Not sure how often they update their information.  We chose Love's to check it out and didn't want to look any further.  The noise wasn't an issue with me but I could see if we had running trucks on either side it may be a problem.  These type of stops for me are just to get some sleep/rest and then move on.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:17am
When we are traveling from point a to point b and just want to get there we started out staying over at Walmart, nice to be able to replenish your supplies and most have Murphy gas outlets with reasonable pricing, but lately we have been staying more at Crackle Barrel better dinner/breakfast options.  As pointed out above some Walmart and or Crackle Barrel's have local ordinances that prohibit overnight parking.  It is best to call ahead just to check and then you can make your takeout order that will be waiting your arrival at your local Crackle Barrel.  Hope this helps, it seems to work for us.
Jay

179/2019
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:50pm
   Be careful in high crime areas we stopped at a Walmart that had security guards in parking lot. The security guard and a customer told us to be careful that there was a lot of crime in the parking lot to keep our door shut and locked. After a while I felt uneasy and drove on some place safer. Majority of Walmart's are safe but there are some located in high crime areas where you need to be careful. I generally look for other campers in parking lot and park near them. It is good if you have a dog to alert you if there is someone near your camper.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:05pm
Two very good reasons to NOT park your RV in the truck parking area:

One: those guys and gals have less options and are on a mandatory DOT rest break. Truck parking can be in very short supply these days, but you can park your RV in a variety of other places...RV parks, campgrounds, Walmarts, rest areas, Cracker Barrels, or even at the front 'auto' area of the big truck stops.

Two: many trucks these days have horizontal exhaust (weed burner exhaust) for the main engine and the APU and sometimes that exhaust (depending on the prevailing breeze) can be sucked right into your camper windows or vents. 

You might wake up smelling the smoky smell, with or without a headache. Worst case, you might NOT wake up. We don't want that. 

Bonus third reason: Damages occur in truck stops as those large rigs maneuver forward and backward...a tired truck driver at 3 am might back right into your vehicle which is in his blind spot, and then drive off....it happens OFTEN.

Please...just say NO to parking in the truck parking areas.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:35pm
Good points....I was beside an abandoned RV so only had a truck on one side but I thought the same as it was tight quarters.  The Cracker Barrel or WalMarts may be the best option for me.  You can usually find them right off the interstate so it is works well for a quick stop.  We are also looking into Harvest Hosts as they seem to have some interesting stop overs at winerys, breweries, and farms.  Not sure how far off t he beaten path they would be.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:23pm
The truck stops are a not a great choice, but they work in a pinch. I ask inside where to park. At a few, I was directed to parking away from the big rigs. That was better. I always go inside regardless of what RV parky says and ask if it is okay. I don't assume it is.

The worst thing about some Walmart parking lots is the gathering of youths with loud cars that like to rev their engines. It does not make for a restful night, at least until they finally clear out. Some of them seem to deliberately make noise near RVs. Cracker Barrel has the problem of cars parking in the Bus/RV lanes, blocking them so that they are not available. This is regardless of whether there is adequate parking in the automobile parking lot. However, the Cracker Barrel restaurants that we have stayed at have been a good choice overall. We did have one where someone was running a non-inverter generator. That was not very considerate of that person.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:36pm
As a counterpoint, we just don’t stay in those places. It’s safer and not really much more expensive than a private campground to stay at a motel when enroute somewhere. We use those stops as an opportunity to wash clothes without waiting around a laundromat, get a nice meal out, and the wife to get a nice hot bath. Followed by a good nights sleep and a free breakfast. Then back to boondocking after a night in “civilization”. Works for us.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>