R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcondensation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: condensation
    Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 1:29pm
Has anyone had trouble with condensation on walls when using heat in R-Pod? Went camping this weekend with night temps in the low 40's. Used a 110 volt elec heater because the gas heater is to loud. Had a lot of Condensation where the wall and roof meet at the down turn in front and rear. Opened vent in bath, that helped a little but still had some water on walls this morning. 
Misplacedtexan
2010 171
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 1:34pm
Open bath vent a good 3 inches should get rid of condensation if need be turn on vent for a few minutes. we have been out in the low 20's and were ok, so open vent a little more.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 7:00pm
On our 171, I usually leave the vent hood open an inch or two and crack open both the front windows to help keep condensation down.  Cool, moist air behind the curtain over the rear window usually causes a great deal of condensation too, so the curtain is left open when possible.

On really cold days (just above freezing), I've also found condensation on the walls below the top of the mattress.  I haven't done anything about it yet, but some reflectix may be in order.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 10:10pm
I do what Outbound does, and also have a problem with condensation on the rear window.  I just found an idea yesterday which I may try.  Get the 1" blue/pink foam from the Big Orange Store (I already have a sheet hanging around), and cut that to size.  Acts as a great blackout blind, and hopefully keeps the water vapor away from the cold window surface.  I wonder though if it would do better on the outside of the window to instead keep the windows warmer.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 7:24pm
We minimize the condensation in our 175 by cracking one of the windows at the head or foot of the bed, opening the roof vent, and running our space heater either on fan or heat depending on how cool we expect the night to get. You can do well by running the bathroom fan instead of the the space heater, but the bathroom fan is a little louder and I don't want to run it continually, as it would be more trouble and expensive to replace. 
Over the years, we've had 5 trailers, 2 camper vans, and 3 pick up campers. The RPod has shown the least condensation of any of our rigs. The RPods must be pretty well insulated, as the only other trailer we've had with minimal condensation trouble was an Artic Fox with a winter package, and it was REALLY insulated. Running the gas furnace has always seemed to increase our condensation problems in any of our camping rigs.
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 8:16pm
We bought a really small dehumidfier that we run at night ( as long as we have shore power).  It seemed to help with the condensation as the bed was getting very wet at the back window in our 175. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 8:20pm
kickstart, yes, the 'pod is very well insulated.  If I remember right it has 2" in all the walls (vs. 1" for most trailers), and several inches in the floor.
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 2:04am
Hey, Brin, that's a great idea! With all the rigs we've had we never even considered a dehumidifier. I'm gonna give that some serious thought, as we do quite a bit of winter camping.  
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:24am

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart or the like and look for a product called Damp Rid.  I have the disposable bucket-type as opposed to the hanging one or the refillable ones.  This product is the bomb and works like you wouldn't believe.  I keep my rig so cold in the summer, I'd constantly get severe condensation.  This Damp Rid took care of all of that.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 12:48pm
This A/C that I'm considering putting in has a "dry mode" (dehumidifier).  Although it can't do heat and dehumidify at the same time so that won't help much in the fall/spring.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>