R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExtra 12V battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Colt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extra 12V battery
    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 11:00am
I run an AIMS in my home solar system.  Not that the others are any better or worse.

https://invertersrus.com/product-category/power-inverters/pure-sine-wave/12v-psw/
John
'16 R-Pod 180
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:21pm
You can carry it in the RV but of course there is a weight penalty...another 40 or 50 pounds plus whatever inverter you might carry...

If the AGM battery has a handle and you want to DIY something, use a couple of the LARGE heavy duty zipties and attach a small pure sine inverter to the side of the battery. Now you have a small portable power pack for home or garage use....of course it will have to be recharged if its been in use for awhile.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:25pm
My recommendations:

Don’t just keep the 12V battery to replace the 6V ones later. LIt will age out while you’re waiting to use it. If you have a use for it now, great.

Yes, get a sine wave inverter. The modified square wave ones create lots of electronic noise and do a poor job running many load devices. Sine wave inverters aren’t that much more expensive these days and will better serve you in the long run. No reason you can’t use your extra battery, portable solar kit, and inverter for other purposes at home. It won’t save you anything noticeable on your electric bill but it’s fun and will provide some power if you have an outage.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Camp town usa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:13pm
I bought a used model but decided to upgrade to dual 6V setup.  I now have an extra 12V AGM battery in good shape.  I was thinking of using and maintaining this as a spare battery (if 6Vs fail) and also to use with an inverter (to power air compressor or charge devices?).  Should I spend more for pure sine wave?  If it is simple enough to just aligator clip to the 12V and turn on the inverter, I feel it is worth exploring.   I will have solar to charge rpod house batteries and/or the spare 12V.  Is this worth considering?
 Post Reply Post Reply