R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFree/Safe camping near Zion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free/Safe camping near Zion
    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 9:35pm
My wife and I are planning to on a 2 month RPOD adventure.  Our trip will be taking us to ZION and other state and national parks in southern Utah in late April and May 2021.   Was wondering about camping near ZION.  I like the idea of free camping  (boondocking) in and around ZION. Where might you suggest, for boondocking, be specific.  Also concerned about leaving my trailer unattended in the boonies, so to speak, why we take the tow vehicle to do some exploring.  How safe is it to leave your POD unattended, and not hooked to a tow vehicle, while being out and about?
SailorDude
2018 RP176
F-250 Superduty XL
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 8:23am
I’ve always felt ok about leaving my trailer at a dispersed national forest boon dock campsite, but that’s here in the East. Might be different in the West. I do put a hitch lock on it and lock any loose stuff inside, but if someone seriously wanted to steal the trailer or contents that wouldn’t stop them.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 8:53am
SailorD, check out Campendium for sites around Zion.  https://www.campendium.com/camping/zion-national-park/free-camping/

As for your trailer getting swiped, it's not very likely, but, sadly, it can happen.  So be sure to lock the hitch as suggested by OG and either shut the window shades or put tempting things to steal out of sight.  Thankfully, camping seems to have lower incidents of theft than other activities in society.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:14am
I had little resource for places to stay a few years back when we went. I found most west of the park (BLM) was either open desert or 4wd to get to. That brings in Smithsonian Butte which I hope to do next time out that way, but I now run a 4wd overlander. I would not bring a trailer up there! Lower areas seem to be closed off now, but check local info.. We stayed east of the park on a non-serviced site and did laundry and enjoyed hot showers. High Road RV and Campground. 

IOverlander, Gaia and even Allstays shows 3 spots along RT9 east of the park. Depending on your travel, best to arrive from the east and avoid the tunnel with the trailer. We paid $15 to pass through with the rPod.

Day 15 of the Journal is Zion Area. https://olddawgsrule.wixsite.com/website/journal 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Ghost1671 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 12:24am
Any suggestions for the type of hitch lock to get? I was looking into the Proven Industries coupler lock, but I am not sure what size to get. I have an Rpod 190.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:54pm
The Proven lock is what we have had for the past 3 years.  IMHO it is the best thing out there.  The Proven website makes it quite easy to order the correct lock.  Just look at the different couplers shown on the a-frames and match your 190 to that.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:55am
Originally posted by jato

The Proven lock is what we have had for the past 3 years.  IMHO it is the best thing out there.  The Proven website makes it quite easy to order the correct lock.  Just look at the different couplers shown on the a-frames and match your 190 to that.

It's one of the better, yet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmLf-Wsr0o

We've talked about this and I mentioned my Repo friend that told me he doesn't even use a ball to hookup. He clamps on the hitch. As he explained, it won't stop those that have a clue.

Now, as part of a system I was told it adds to the 'effort' required. I was told to add the chain through the tire (and around the axle). Tire can come off, but still chained to the trailer. Yes that also can be cut, but the idea is adding effort.

After traveling across the US twice and across Canada, I found 3-4 places that I felt were sketchy to leave the trailer behind. For the most part all our boondocking was pretty darn safe. 

Safe Travels!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply