R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplace Brand New Tires? - Event Date: 10 Mar 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Replace Brand New Tires?
    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:10am
Many "name brand" tires have had issues off and on. Some more than others. As one tire dealer explained to me, "All tires look similar on the outside, but it's what's inside that counts, and you can't see it.".

I know there have been issues with Firestone, BF Goodrich, and Goodyear, and probably others. The bad apples usually get found out, and it is wise to pay attention to the ones that float to the top (err, bottom?).

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:06am
Yes Carlisle tires are (atleast some) made in china. But they have a long history of being the best trailer tire on the market. Go to any tire shop and they all recommend them. Now that goodyear makes the endurance, some prefer those, but I like old reliable. (plus i've had bad luck with goodyear tires in the past) As an added bonus, Carlisle Radial trail HD  tires are a better price. Should you change out new tires??? Only you can answer that question, peace of mind comes from feeling you are not taking a chance. For me, the right answer was changing out my brand new tires. I never felt I made a bad decision. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 7:31am
My 2015 179 came with 14 inch load range C tires rated at only 1750 lbs. Since my axle is 3500 lbs rated (and I run near that load) those tires provided no safety factor at all. I replaced them with 15 inch LRD’s rated at 2500 lbs. So, a lot depends on what FR in its infinite wisdom happened to put on your trailer.

It’s not as simple as just changing brands. So if you personally choose to prefer one brand or country of origin over another that’s fine, but please do be sure you also buy something with a good load safety factor (several sources recommend actual load not be more than 85% of rated tire load), maintain proper tire pressure, and check tire temperatures at your fuel stops.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:59pm
Remember, if  you're worried about "China bombs" that some Carlyles are made in China.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 4:06pm
+1, I've heard they are stout.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:09pm
Those Westlake 235/75R15 tires are special for Hood River R-pods and are rated for 2340 lbs each (4680 lb per axle). They are what we've had on our RP179 since 2017, and they will probably age out before they wear out.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:08pm
Well my story is a little different I have a 2019 179 we picked up in 2018 and the tires had a manufacturing date of 5117 figuring they should be good until the end of the 2022 season.  Looked over both tires, checked the lug nuts, adjusted the air pressure when we got the trailer out of storage and shortly after we left for Florida and got here safely.  We had a fellow Poder stop over to look at our solar system.  In the process of checking out our trailer, he had just put new Goodyear's on his 2021 180 wanting to get away from those china bombs, so he gave our tires a once over and guess what we found cracks in the side walls closed to the rims on both tires.  They are being replaced tomorrow with Carlisle st 225/75r15 load range D.  The tires have about 18,000 miles on them and have had 65 lbs in them from the get go.  Boy these fellow podders are wonderful to have around.  We still have both fenders attached to the trailer!!  Do we feel blessed.
Jay

179/2019
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:15pm
Today our 177 got new shoes.  Carlisle Radial Trail HD load range "D", 8 ply, tire pressure is 65 psi.   On the way in to Discount tire (35 miles) we experienced some breezy conditions 40-45 mph cross winds.  With the existing Hartland tires (load range "C" at 50 psi) I experienced some sway as well as a lot of bulging on the sidewalls of the tires as we were traveling at 55 mph.  On the way home, night and day difference.  Same 'breezy' crosswinds, even seeing a couple trees blown over up to the road, yet the Carlisle tires did not bulge at all on the sidewalls and the pod seemed to track better as well. 

The guy at Discount Tire said he was amazed at how good our spare looked, a Tire King (that is what ours came with January 2011) that was in pristine condition and still had all the nubbins on it.   However the build date was 03/10, I wasn't going to trust it if we ever get in the situation where we need it.  Fortunately for the 36,000+ miles we have driven so far with our two previous sets of tires over some horrible road conditions we have never had tire issues; pray that record continues.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Cjommh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:56am
+1 to stay with your tires. I have the same R Pod 192, have ~5,000 miles on it, check pressure and torque before each trip. No issues so far. I did install a TPMS sensor on each tire, highly recommend that! It has a small monitor on my dash and I can see tire pressure and temperature in real time.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 10:52am
We ran with the original tires for quite a while. When I had a flat from a puncture, I got it patched. After that though, I started looking for new tires and replaced them with Carlisle LR-D tires. I've been happy with them. I've worn out some of those, some from an axle problem (lost camber so wearing excessively on the inside edge), and another that just must have been out of balance or round and was wearing in a way I did not like. We are good to go for this year's expected travels.

I also check the tire pressure and lug nuts regularly. The LR-D takes a higher pressure than the LR-C tires that came with the 179. I'm glad I upgraded them.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>