R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace part

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace part
    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:12am
Cover on my furnace lost a screw and when I went to fix this part or piece was loose inside.  There is an opening  on the side close to my water heater it fits in (sort of) but it won’t stay in place there.  Seeking help.  Should I afix the part into the space or not worry about it?

2015 rPod 178
MICK
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:47am
Looks like a duct cover, if that opening will be venting heat inside the cabinet then yes, you should replace the cover. 

Use a short (1/2 or 3/4 inch) self-drilling sheet metal screw and maybe a couple pieces of foil tape.

You may have to offset the piece a bit, then cover the gap with the foil tape.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Looks like a duct cover, if that opening will be venting heat inside the cabinet then yes, you should replace the cover. 

Use a short (1/2 or 3/4 inch) self-drilling sheet metal screw and maybe a couple pieces of foil tape.

You may have to offset the piece a bit, then cover the gap with the foil tape.
Thanks for the response.  I’m curious about the design (or purpose) of the piece.  It seems it was cut out then “tack welded” (or edges crimped out) to hold it back in place.  I traveled on some rough spots recently and I suppose that caused it to break loose.  It’s like it was designed to be broken out but I wonder why?  Curious mind would like to understand.
MICK
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 1:35pm
Because most RV furnaces have a few optional openings that the builder can use, for ducting an underbelly 'basement' where the holding tanks are, or they can run an extended duct into a bedroom at the other end of the camper...these are examples....

The one you found might have gotten bumped during installation, or maybe it was just loose and fell out on its own...who knows. 

Turn your furnace on and open the cabinet to see if hot air is being directed where it should not be...such as a cabinet wall or a couple of plastic water pipes.

Or maybe the warm air is heading into the bedroom thru a vent....you just have to look things over.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply