Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie R-Pod R-178 - Event Date: 16 Mar 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Newbie R-Pod R-178
    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:38pm
Purchased our R-178 (new to us) Saturday, we love it. It is in excellent condition with many extras. Looking forward to our first trip. TV is 06 Tundra with 4.7 engine, I hope it is not to small to handle the 178. Live on the MS Gulf Coast, mostly flat roads. Thanks for allowing us on this forum.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 6:27am
Welcome.

Your Tundra is a fine tow vehicle for your 178. You should have no problems, flatlands or mountains.

Not really needed with the Tundra, but you might want to consider getting a weight distribution hitch, many folks prefer the ride and handling with one. They generally also come with antisway features which gives you an extra margin of safety from trailer sway. Many wdh options are available and everyone here on the forum has their personal favorite. They all provide more or less the same function. If you do a search you will find lots of posts on the topic.

Enjoy your rpod!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Themmorris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 12:57pm
Thanks, I did order a WDS to help. My truck does not seem to be wired, although it is a SR5.

I am trying to wire it myself. May just take it to dealership.

Mike
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 2:45pm
Mike, just to clarify, a weight distribution hitch (wdh) does not require any wiring, it’s mechanical device. You do also need a brake controller, which does require wiring, unless you get the Bluetooth variety which goes inline between your Tundra’s 7 way trailer receptacle and the 7 way connector on the trailer. Of course, if you don’t have a 7 way on the Tundra then you need to install that in any case. It can be confusing the first time, any trailer or RV shop should be able to do it for you
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 4:20pm
Yes sir, you are correct. I didn’t explain that properly. 

I am trying to wire the brake controller. That does seem to be a little challenging, but I will figure it out.

Thanks 
Mike

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 5:57pm
Welcome to the forum Mike.  Indeed your Tundra will be plenty of truck to handle the 178.  For 8 of the last 10 years we towed our 177 with a pair of Explorers, and '08 with a 4.0L V-6 and a '13 with a 3.5L V-6.  In both cases we felt it was adequate even when going through the Rockies although they didn't break any speed records going up some of the steeper runs.  We did utilize a Curt anti-sway bar or as some call it friction bar to reduce or eliminate sway.  Worked very nicely for us.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:25pm
Thanks, my wife and I are excited to take a trip on the Natchez Trace soon. We had a 35’ trailer in the 80’s, but we had a 3/4 ton van to haul it. That was for work, the R Pod is for pleasure. We are both retired so we have to use what we have, the Tundra. I am confident it will do good. 

The 178 is in great condition, just getting ready, we are still recovering from the October  hurricane. 
Maybe we will see ya on the road.
Have a great day!

RJN1750 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:15am
If your Tundra has the factory tow package( receiver & 7 pin plug) you have a plug in for the brake controller under the drivers side kick panel. Usually taped to some wires, white plug. I have the OEM plug from my 06 tundra that I never used,
with instructions to connect to whatever brake controller you have. Be glad or send it to you. Makes the job a lot easier.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 5:31pm
Thank you so much for the offer. I have purchased the adapter but I can not locate the plug under the dash. I purchased the truck used and it has the heavy duty hitch bolted to the frame and a 4 way wired under the frame. There is a bracket for the 7 way plug. 
I have purchased a 7 way that utilizes the 4 plug with 3 wires to connect. Also purchased the plug for under the dash, but I can’t locate the factory wiring. I think i am going to try once again.
Thanks for your help. 
Have a great trip!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:04pm
If you have a flat 4 you’ll also want to run a 12v supply from the battery back to the 7 way so you can charge the rpod battery while towing. That should be 10 gauge and have a 30A breaker located at the tow vehicle battery.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>