Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust bought a 2018 179 - towing issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a 2018 179 - towing issue
    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:12am
Maybe my phone just won’t render your spreadsheet pic properly but it’s too fuzzy for me to read....can you load it at a higher res? Tks.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:25am
Agreed. The picture is too low a resolution to view, even on a 27" monitor. When enlarged, it gets even fuzzier. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 3:39pm
Just came back for a break and saw this:

OG, you and I worked on the math. What I show is that packing can be calculated through using a spreadsheet and the math. I worked out both, fore & aft. I did share as I built it. Seemed no one cared.. at the time.. 

The statement is not if my spreadsheet is perfect, yet how important loading is to get to proper hitch weight to stay within the proper limits of the both TV & TT. Using a WDH to avoid what are the limits/recommendations of either... I can not agree with. 

My base Tacoma was a great match to the 183G. Once balanced with proper loading it was an awesome match! No sway issue (though I had sway control, ask why..), 4WD on an awesome vehicle! Rarely do I say a vehicle is that good.... The match works if... you load properly.

That's my only point here. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:07pm
+1 on not depending on a wdh to be within your TV limitations, although they can help balance your TV and help improve ride and handling. I do recall working on the math with you, but not the details, not due to lack of interest, just to aging memory banks....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
HillbillyMedic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:04pm
Be careful.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:19am
Yep, get a weight distribution hitch. And weigh your tongue to see what you really have there. The front axle of the Taco is too light, needs more of the load transferred onto it. Heavier rear springs won’t help with that.

Also, you might want to shorten/cross those safety chains, looks like there is a lot of slack in them.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:19am
Ya, get that tongue weight before doing anything else. I saw that before I re-balanced the loads. You look like you just put a load of topsoil in the bed. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:27am
With a WDH my Tacoma TRD Off Road sits level with our 195 and did so with the 179 also. Still can't get photo to post. I'm thinking you are just pulling out of the dealership and have not loaded this up yet, but if I'm wrong then gotta agree with the two old guys above and suggest you look at how you're loaded.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:21am
I’d recommend a complete weighing at a public scale. Load up the way you want to camp first, both the truck and the trailer, including passengers and water if you plan to dry camp. Get the wdh you want first and install it but don’t tension it. Go through the scales adding one axle at a time. You can get the weight on each axle by subtraction. Then drop the trailer and go back through the scales with just the Taco. Leave the wdh in the receiver. Again weigh each axle. Subtract the full tow vehicle weight from the second weighing from the entire rig weight from the first weighing to get trailer weight. Subtract the total weight of the tow vehicle from the second weighing from the weight of the two TV axles from the first weighing to get the tongue weight.

Put all your specs and actual weights in this calculator and it will tell you where you are compared to your max limits, as well as how much you need to tension your wdh to get the front axle back up to the load it had without the trailer, which is the proper setting.

Also be sure you are at least at 10% tongue weight as a percent of trailer weight. 11% plus is better. That reduces sway risk. From the looks of it low tongue weight isn’t likely to be your problem though.

Calculator
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:10am
I’d recommend a complete weighing at a public scale. 

Agreed

Load up the way you want to camp first, both the truck and the trailer, including passengers and water if you plan to dry camp. 

Okay, as a test, but... It's a bit soon for this.

Get the wdh you want first and install it but don’t tension it. 

Here's where you lose me. You've 'pre-determined' he requires it. 

I didn't 'require' WDH after balancing the load. In both the TT & TV. I don't 'presume' he requires WDH. 
How about he balances the load first, checking tongue weight as he does. 

To the OP: If you can freely use a scale (transfer station in town)  Then I'd do some TT packing watching the tongue weight. You can use a bathroom scale like this shows.
Be sure to watch your TV balance as you load it. This you will need to pack your heavies (Like I placed my spare Propane tank & TT spare tire) against the Cabin wall (forward of the axle). Be careful what else goes in the truck, minding your loading weight.

If you balance the weight 1st and still find you require a WDH, then at least you know how to properly pack and reduce the chances of issues/repairs in the future. With how mine performed, I just don't see the requirement. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>