R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShower Leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shower Leak
    Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by offgrid

Would you winterize your rpod with beet juice? 😝

Beet juice is some nassty stuff. It’s denser and freezes at a lower temp than pink antifreeze but I didn’t want my tires that heavy anyway (I’d have to have a second tractor to lift ‘em) and it’s not that cold here. Lots of ppl around here use auto antifreeze but you can kill your pooch if it leaks and he drinks it. Besides, RV antifreeze is really cheap and so am I 👍

A couple years ago, I ran one of the front tires through a narrow erosion slot. It squeezed the tire such that it broke the bead, and viola, flat tire. I was about a 1/2 mile from home (long driveway), and had to improvise to get enough air in the tire to get it home. End result was that the tire got damaged enough that it was time for some serious action. So I took it to a local tractor place, and they filled it with foam rubber. That dang rubber is about twice the weight of the water that we'd been previously using (we don't get hard freezes here, so water is "good enough". However, it made the tire 100% flat proof, and I liked the extra weight enough that I had it done to the other front tire as well. I'm saving up my $$ to do it to the rear tires. Only issue will be the tires will require some extra help getting them off/on; they will be very heavy.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:22am
I heard the foam is awful to try to get off the rims when you need to replace the tires.

Since I have a 2wd utility tractor I just ballasted the rears. The 11.2/28’s can take about 25 gallons/200 lbs of antifreeze each but then I couldn’t move them readily as the total weight would be around 300 lbs. So I only filled them about halfway which is why I now have extra RV antifreeze. At around 200 lbs I think I can still roll them into my horse trailer when I need to. Seems to be enough ballast for plowing snow and grading the road.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by offgrid

I heard the foam is awful to try to get off the rims when you need to replace the tires.

The original tires on our tractor are now 23 years old. They will outlive me now that they're foam filled. The extra weight is very very useful when grading. Also makes the tractor more stable on side slopes (which we have in abundance).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:11pm
My tractor tires are probably already 30 years old, look bad but the tubes hold air just fine, so I’m not replacing em. I have a 3 pt mounted blade so extra front weight isn’t needed for road work or snow plowing. It might be for the 3 pt carry all, we’ll see.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12