R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-pod plus rhino tote tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-pod plus rhino tote tank?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:00pm
Personally I think you are on the right track with questioning how fast you’re using water. As long time boondockers we go through the 30 gallons in about a week, which includes daily showers, by which point we’re generally on the move anyway. There are lots of water conservation tricks out there.

And yes to drinking bottled water, saves worrying about tank sanitation and extends the water supply by another day it you carry 5 gallons. We use the 2.5 gallon dispensers and leave one out on the kitchen counter.

I can’t see how fooling with pumps and hoses and dragging tanks around is easier that just bringing the trailer to the supply and dump locations. You will probably get to the point of being able to connect up, leave the leveling blocks in place, and then back the trailer right back onto them where it was before, without help if that preserves the relationship. Just takes a little practice. Just sayin’.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 4:02pm

"I can’t see how fooling with pumps and hoses and dragging tanks around is easier that just bringing the trailer to the supply and dump locations."

Rdome  (I don't mean to launch the debate. I really like it but it is a bit of work.)
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 4:28pm
Yep, I certainly do agree, if I still had an rdome I’d probably prefer to stop taking showers and washing dishes, maybe even cease some basic bodily functions than take that thing up and down.

The Clam just stays wherever I put it. 👍

I prefer to follow the KISS principle, more time and fun camping and less time spent fooling with complicated “stuff”.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campingtrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:41am
Yes exactly.  We didn't even try to put the rdome up the first few trips, too many other things to deal with.  But it's quite nice when it is up.  So having to take that thing down and put it back up just to empty the tanks...no thanks.  At that point it's like you might as well be tent camping instead of in an RV...at least you can leave the tent in place while you deal with water and waste.

I also should have mentioned that there is a regular dump station we could pull the trailer over to, but the "fill station" is basically a sink.  So no way to pull the trailer over and just use a hose to fill.  In fact now I'm worried the water carrier might not fit in the sink or on the counter.  But I think the water bandit plus the intake hose valve should get enough clearance to hold it off to the side if we need to.    

I think we're going to give a shot with what we have.  Put the trailer on blocks for the poop chute, and use the drill pump to get water into the fresh tank and only use for washing and showers.  Keep bottled water on the sink for cooking and drinking.  I'm guessing the warning about the drill pump may have something to do with petroleum, like lubrication on the drill or what's in the hose?  In which case putting it in the tanks for a couple days for non-potable usage, and then next time using city water should be enough to clean out whatever residual bits are around I would think.  
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:53am
You are getting dangerously close to the endless ad-nauseum debate (fillibuster, almost) about whether the water in the RV fresh tank is suitable for drinking, cooking, and consuming!

Bailiff, whack his peepee!

LOL

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:17pm
Indeed.  We don't normally drink the "potable" water anyway.  But would like to have the option to, in a pinch.
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:02pm
If the debate over the rdome collides with the debate over drinking water we might create a black hole that could destroy the universe.
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:36pm
Egon: Don’t cross the streams.
Peter: Why?
Egon: It would be bad.
Peter: I’m fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean “bad”?
Egon: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Raymond: Total protonic reversal.
Peter: That’s bad. Okay. Alright, important safety tip, thanks Egon.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 2:38pm
you don't necessarily need a drill pump to move water.  We use a 4.5 gallon water container and funnel to refill the fresh water tank.  When full, the 4.5 gallons of water weighs about 36# and easily handled by me as Laura holds the funnel in place. We use a short(6') drinking water hose, a filter and water bandit if necessary to refill the container while it sits on the ground.  We usually keep the container full and in the tow vehicle just in case the next campsite has no water or the water is bad.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 5:41am
Okay so reporting back on this...we did our trip as described and it went as expected.  Putting the r-pod up on more blocks than usual (we ended up using 1 complete set (10 pieces) of the lego style blocks on each wheel) solved the height/gravity problem for the tote tank.  It worked as expected, no problems.  And it was definitely helpful that it attached to the trailer hitch for the "tote" portion, as I would not have wanted to drag the tank by hand as far as we needed to (about 0.25 mi).  But note, that <5mph is really really slow...we had to wave a bunch of folks by as the drive to the dump station coincided with the general exit area and people were piling up behind us.  Other than that, glad to know we have this as an option to expand our camping range.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>