R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplacing 14" tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing 14" tires
    Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 8:50am
Hello, I want to replace my 14" tires on my R-Pod (Currently have Towmax Power King- ST205/75R14 LRC). What should i be looking for when shopping (i.e, stay with 205's or go to 225, Load D instead of C's, etc)?? Looking for a GOOD tire. 
2011 RP172
2015 Toyota Tacoma
Newfoundland, Canada
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:15am
we installed Goodyear Endurance 215/r75/14and are very happy with them.  they don't leak, tow smooth and seem very hardy.Whatever tires you buy, make sure they are balanced properly.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Poddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:34am
Hey, thanks for the info. Are they Load "D" or "C's"? And "balanced properly", wouldn't that be automatically done by the mechanic at the garage where i get them installed on the rims?
2011 RP172
2015 Toyota Tacoma
Newfoundland, Canada
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 5:41pm
Last week I purchased a set of Carlisle Radial Trail "D" 205/75/14, 8 ply tires and noticed a huge difference from my last set of Hartland "C" 205/75/14.  This was due to strong crosswinds, 30+ mph and even though I tow with a pickup I could see the sidewalls on the Hartlands flex when the winds were severe, even to the point that I could feel the back of the pickup want to move a bit a well.  I do utilize a Curt anti sway bar (friction bar).  On the return trip (35 miles) the winds were as strong if not stronger and there was no flexing noted on the Carlisle sidewalls, resulting in a much smoother ride inside the TV as well.  This is now my third set of tires and the first time going with a "D" rated tire, what a difference, I am sold on it!

Make sure you let the tire person know you want your wheels balanced, they won't do it unless you ask, at least where I purchased mine (Discount Tire) that is the case.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 8:49pm
the Goodyears are "D" range tires. and have adequate speed and weight ratings
most trailer tires are not automatically balanced unless the buyer specifies them to be balanced
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 4:31pm
I went with Carlysle ST205/75R-14 in Load Range D to get more load rating and higher speed rating.  I kept the OEM size on the OEM rims so the sidewalls kept the design curvature and had their expected stiffness.  there is not much detectable difference between the original tires and the Carlysles while towing, but I have greater margins on load and speed that makes me feel better. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Colt

I kept the OEM size on the OEM rims so the sidewalls kept the design curvature and had their expected stiffness. 

Can you elaborate?

Note that lrd’s have stiffer sidewalls than lrc’s and the curvature is different too due to the higher tire pressures with the lrd’s. Also, as I understand it, Western rpods have always had 15 inch tires from the factory.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Can you elaborate?

Note that lrd’s have stiffer sidewalls than lrc’s and the curvature is different too due to the higher tire pressures with the lrd’s. Also, as I understand it, Western rpods have always had 15 inch tires from the factory.

All tires have a design wheel width.  Other widths are allowable within a range.  The sidewalls are designed to have a mild "S" shape with buttresses in the bead and where the sidewall meets the tread to provide the stiffness the engineer wanted for its application.  I chose 205 so the wheel width put the tire beads in the right position vs. the tread width, at least theoretically matching the design shape.  Plus, I didn't need to go wider to increase my F.S.  I hate to see sports cars with stretched sidewalls, besides goofy, it is not best for traction, or likely safety.  A Dunlop engineer told me the optimum rim for handling was 85 - 90% of a tires tread width.  The other side of that is a fat tire on a narrow rim.  There, the buttresses are so distorted they can't do their job. 

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/5d/d1/b5/271c02538cb58c/US07757735-20100720-D00001.png
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:00pm
Ok, I certainly get that you want to match tires and wheels, but to go to 15 inch tires you have to change wheels anyway, which is what I did. Since those are OEM on the West Coast rpods and I think in the Eastern ones now too, is there a problem I'm missing?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:18am
No. Just buy tires designed for the rim width you have so the internal stiffening works as designed and they don't try to roll off the rim!   
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>