R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Hello - just purchased 2019 182g - tow questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello - just purchased 2019 182g - tow questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello - just purchased 2019 182g - tow questions
    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:51am
Hi all

Thank you for accepting!

We just purchased a 2019 182g as our first TT for our family of 4 (with 2 kids), super super excited Smile, our TV will be a 2011 Highlander hybrid (3500lb tow rating) with factory tow package and we are in the market for a WDH. There are so many choices out there, with different weight classification, the local hitch store says we can use a 1000/10K WDH (that's the only weight they have in stock at the moment), would that be an overkill? I see there are 400/4000, 600/6000, 800/8000 WDH etc etc available, chain style, trunnion/round bar, with/without sway control...so many choices and options.....we do not know much about WDH, any recommendations would be appreciated.

We will be using it for local camping trips this season, within 2 hours of driving at most, and will travel light, not planning on doing any cross country or out of province camping yet as we are newbies and just want to get comfortable with it first. 

Do not have any budget on upgrading the TV at the moment as most of our saving have already spent on the 182g hehe, will probably upgrade to a bigger TV with higher towing capacity in the future once we save enough

Thanks in advance!

Ricky
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:30pm
Congeratulations Ricky, welcome to the forum and your 24/7 owners manual.  I cannot offer advice on your question as I only utilize a Curt friction bar.  Have used it exclusively with our 177 and for 8 of those ten years used either an '08 or '13 Explorer as the tow vehicle, no problems and over 34,000 miles over varied terrain and weather conditions.  Currently tow with an F-150 using the same friction bar.

Am glad you are not going far from home.   At slower speeds you should be ok on flat terrain however at speeds 45+ and on hilly/mountainous roads your vehicle will be working its heart out.   I think you will find that you are on the edge for comfortable towing; an SUV or small truck with a minimum of 5000 lbs towing weight is a safer way to go, but am glad you are already thinking ahead with a replacement TV down the road.

Enjoy your camping trips, enjoy your family, enjoy your 182g this summer.  Maybe for a shakedown trip try camping out in your driveway or on your property in the backyard.  It will give you a feel for what you may need that you don't have or help you decide on things that aren't necessary to bring.  Will also give you a feel for setting up procedures and how all the accessories work like furnace, A/C, water heater, water pump, fridge, stove and so on. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
slowmini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 11:07am
jato

shakedown trip sounds like a good way to start

Thank you for your recommendation!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 11:43am
As the owner of a Highlander and a 179 let my try to talk you out of towing with the hybrid. First, I have had Prii of over a decade and am a big fan of Toyotas hybrid drive. But not for towing an rpod. There is a reason that Toyota has limited it to 3500 lbs/350 on the tongue. Hybrids weigh more so the hitch can't take as much weight and the drivetrain isn't as robust as a conventional V6 auto drive.

You are going to be over on both the 350 and the 3500 unless you leave nothing in the trailer and don't use the systems. Also those ratings assume nothing but the driver is in the Highlander, and you will have 4 people in there, plus stuff. So regardless of whether you feel comfiy trying it you will be over your vehicles limitations, making you at risk if being found negligent if you do have a crash.

The HiHy is a desirable vehicle, I think you will find that "upgrading" it to a 5000 lb rated 3.5 liter V6 one with the towp package like I have can be done for little to no net cost. You will be glad you did.

BTW, you won't see a measurable fuel economy difference towing between the two vehicles anyway, the hybrid drive won't get a chance to cycle the engine off dragging the trailer around. I get about 14 mpg as do most folks here. The hybrid has a 17 gallon fuel tank, the std drivetrain is 20, that extra 3 gallons helps extend your short range between fuel stops a lot when you're towing.

You will want a wdh, I use one and it makes a big difference. But it does not increase your towing capacity.

Good luck.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
slowmini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by offgrid

As the owner of a Highlander and a 179 let my try to talk you out of towing with the hybrid. First, I have had Prii of over a decade and am a big fan of Toyotas hybrid drive. But not for towing an rpod. There is a reason that Toyota has limited it to 3500 lbs/350 on the tongue. Hybrids weigh more so the hitch can't take as much weight and the drivetrain isn't as robust as a conventional V6 auto drive.

You are going to be over on both the 350 and the 3500 unless you leave nothing in the trailer and don't use the systems. Also those ratings assume nothing but the driver is in the Highlander, and you will have 4 people in there, plus stuff. So regardless of whether you feel comfiy trying it you will be over your vehicles limitations, making you at risk if being found negligent if you do have a crash.

The HiHy is a desirable vehicle, I think you will find that "upgrading" it to a 5000 lb rated 3.5 liter V6 one with the towp package like I have can be done for little to no net cost. You will be glad you did.

BTW, you won't see a measurable fuel economy difference towing between the two vehicles anyway, the hybrid drive won't get a chance to cycle the engine off dragging the trailer around. I get about 14 mpg as do most folks here. The hybrid has a 17 gallon fuel tank, the std drivetrain is 20, that extra 3 gallons helps extend your short range between fuel stops a lot when you're towing.

You will want a wdh, I use one and it makes a big difference. But it does not increase your towing capacity.

Good luck.

Thank you offgrid for your first hand experience information! 

May I ask what weight rating is your WDH? 

Thanks
Ricky
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:06am
My wdh is rated at 1000 lbs. The wdh has to support both the trailer tongue and whatever you have loaded in the back of the TV so I think 600 lbs is too low unless you really have a very low tongue weight. I keep the spring bars tensioned to around 750-800 lbs when my fresh water tank is full and drop them a link when the fwt is empty and gray tank is full.

The calculator I sent the link to allows you to input the wdh spring bar length and change the bar tension so you can see the effect on your rigs weight distribution. The objective is to get the front axle weight back up to what it was without the trailer. When I weigh the axles before and after tensioning the wdh the calculator has been right on and I've manually verified the calcs so I'm confident it's correct.

Having been through that and wanting a safety factor on top (you will occasionally get upwards of 2g bump loads on rough or pot holed roads) I chose a stiffer wdh than most. I don't have an overly stiff or bouncy ride which would be the downside. In general I think a wdh in the 800-1000 lb range is a good choice for towing an rpod.

I have an old school Reese Pro wdh, nothing fancy. I used separate friction antisway bars. Lots of folks like the designs with integrated antisway, the problem I have with that is that the level of sway resistance is lower the lower the tension on the wdh. So if your tongue weight is low you set your tension low. So you get lower antisway friction at lower tongue weight, the opposite or what you want. Also, I just like being able to adjust my antisway independently, if I'm onnthe freeway I keep it high, twisty back roads and wet conditions I lower it.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 8:15am
I also have a 1000lb WDH. This is what the dealer suggested. It is an Equalizer brand, 10,000/1000lb model, and it has built in sway control at the front and rear of the bars. The rear part of the bar does rely on the bar tension for sway control, but the front of the bar does not. So you get four points of sway control total. 

Congrats on the new r-pod! I'm sure you will have many enjoyable adventures in the future.

2021 R-pod 196
slowmini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:12pm
Thank you offgrid and colonel podder for your recommendation!

We spent the past weekend cleaning the r pod in and out , surprised the kids with it when we took them with us to the storage yard, they are so excited and already decided who takes the top/bottom bunks, wife loves the rear outdoor kitchen, i m a happy man =)
 Post Reply Post Reply