R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsolar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar
    Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 6:34pm
Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 7:38pm
Don't try to run the fridge off 12v except while on the road while you can charge from the tow vehicle alternator. Change it over to propane as soon as you stop for the night.

Other than lights furnace fan bathroom fan stereo that's about it for the 12-volt loads in your trailer.

I've heard some of the new rpods have dual voltage TVs otherwise you could change it out to a dual volt TV. You can get a 12 volt CPAP as well. That would be more efficient than using inverter but it's up to you which way you go.

PThe air conditioner is too big to run off an inverter, batteries and solar and while it's possible to run the microwave it's pushing it.

Have fun!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:20pm

Thanks Offgrid. Are you saying the fridge will run off the 12 volt system if I do not have it turned on to gas and disconnected from shore power? You are right about the efficiency of the inverter but i thought since I already have it and the extra battery and the cpap i could save $ using it for now The tv in the 196 is 12 volt. I wonder if it is dual volt as you suggest?
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:24pm

I'm not sure i understand the pict?
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:52pm
Sorry about pic. Not hooked up yet. Wire with SAE from controller. Plug in will b on battery case. Installing next week.
Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:18pm
The fridge is much more efficient running on propane, 12v fridge only  good  when you are driving and your vehicle is charging the battery. We actually  run our fridge on propane when travelling, some dont as there is some level of risk  from explosion if you were to get into an accident. So overall 12v loads during normal camping  are pretty low. I do not  know about 12 V TV, we don't  watch  tv while camping.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 3:12am
Hunter, sorry about causing confusion on the fridge. You have a larger rpod with the larger fridge which is 2 way (120Vac/propane) not 3 way like my smaller one.

Just leave it on propane unless connected to shore power. There are a few tunnels where you are required to shut off the propane at the cylinder, most notably in our general area the Norfolk VA area bridge/tunnels. Just turn it back on at your next stop and restart the fridge. The fridge will stay cold for quite awhile.

There are other members here using cpaps who can provide more cogent advice than I can on what works the best. By general rule is to use 12v gear when I can but you can certainly use an inverter and ac gear. If you don't already have an inverter get a "true sine wave" one, the ones described as "modified sine wave" really output a modified square wave which is hard on many load devices and creates lots of electrical noise. The "true sine wave" ones cost more but add well worth it.

Not sure what TV you have but if the TV has a 120Vac power cord and a 12V one then it's 2 way and should switch over to 120 if that is available. That's what mine does but it was an aftermarket purchase.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12