R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsolar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar
    Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 8:37am
  Happy Good Friday!  I have a question about solar. I have a 2021  rpod 196 that came with the solar package. I am thinking of purchasing renogy 200 watt portable package that comes with its own controller to increase my solar charging  capacity. Can I hook this up to my batteries directly without causing problems with the existing electrical system? I have been thinking I could have a pos and neg pigtail permanently coming out from batteries that I could connect to when i want to use the portable unit? Anyone had any experience with the portable solar systems?
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:46am
Hi Hunter,

Yes you can and it is designed for this. It comes with alligator clips and has a built-in fuse. As for your other question I'll look forward to seeing what those with more battery experience than I have say. I like the idea.
Julie
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:00am
   Thanks for your response. This is what I thought but am new to all this. Do you have this system yourself?
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:02am
Originally posted by EchoGale

...As for your other question I'll look forward to seeing what those with more battery experience than I have say. I like the idea.

Does this mean that you're not sure about have two separate solar inputs (both with their own controller) attached to a single battery?
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:33am
If the systems are run in parallel, it should be no problem. Each charge controller should respond to the battery voltage it sees and react accordingly. They won't care how the voltage got to where it is.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:55am
We have used a Renogy 100 watt solar suitcase for about 4 years.  We love it.  It has always worked well in keeping our 2 6volt batteries charged. The Renogy materials and workmanship seem fine and the complete package has been very durable and dependable.
I don't see why the permanent pigtails would be a problem as long as they were shielded so they could not come into contact with anything that might create a short or be compromised by weather. I'm sure you would need an appropriate sized fuse somewhere between the panels and the battery.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 11:04am
I do have the system and was responding to your question about permanent pigtails, thanks for answering Pod People. Mine is fairly new and has a fuse already included in the connecting wires.
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 11:22am
No problem adding additional solar capacity. However, if you do that you should also consider upgrading your battery capacity. You will have over 300 watts which will recharge a single 100 amp hour battery from 50% (as far down as you want to take it) in a couple of hours on a sunny day, after which the remaining capacity is wasted. Solar power systems work best if the solar, battery, and load sizes are in reasonable balance.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:54pm
Thank You all for your responses. Very Helpful!  Gradually I am beginning to get  a handle on all of this . The walk though when I picked the camper up was not very thorough due to very bad weather.One of the reasons I am thinking of going with the 200 watt solar system is in anticipation of gradually building up my battery capacity. What all runs off the 12 volt system beyond fans for heater and lights tv etc? Does the frig when you are not using gas or shore power? I have a cpap that I ran off a battery and 750 watt inverter with my pop top before the rpod . I do not think that there is an inverter on board the rpod so I am planning on doing the same thing again when I am camping off the grid. Another reason for the 200 watt system.
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 6:32pm
I built a 200 watt solar suitcase setup for my R-pod 196. Plan to use an SAE connector on the battery box with the wires attached to the battery - with a fuse on the positive. I will then have the solar suitcase connected to the charge controller and a male version of the SAE connector attached to the charge controller. I can just plug in when I set up.

Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>