This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShall I buy an Rpod?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shall I buy an Rpod?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 3:56pm
After reading about the warrantee problems, I am wondering if I really want one???  Do things go wrong all of the time?  I will be driving by myself in a Ford Edge, front wheel drive.  The book says that with a Class 2 hitch, I can pull up to 3500 pounds.  Has anyone had success pulling a 175 with that small of an auto?  Couch's RV is SO much less expensive than our dealer in Conroe, TX.  Are they for real?
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 5:24pm
    Carol I would not worry about warranty problems. There is another rpod owner that tows with a Ford Edge and I believe he traveled to Alaska with out a problem. Check out the rpodnation forum and use the search feature for Ford Edge. You could send him a private message and ask any specific questions you may have. Couch's is a good place to purchase your Rpod he is you might say a wholesale rv dealer.     David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 5:35pm
Try your own dealer, that is why they call them a dealer. Mine here in Mn. was within $500.00 of the so called wholesale dealer and i had to drive 30 miles and love being able to take pod, over to be worked on, if needed, I have only had to take it back once for a faucet replacement, but just knowing i could do that is reassuring.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Carol Sawka

After reading about the warrantee problems, I am wondering if I really want one???  Do things go wrong all of the time?  I will be driving by myself in a Ford Edge, front wheel drive.  The book says that with a Class 2 hitch, I can pull up to 3500 pounds.  Has anyone had success pulling a 175 with that small of an auto?  Couch's RV is SO much less expensive than our dealer in Conroe, TX.  Are they for real?
Welcome to the group!  It is good that you have been reading and learning about your potential purchase.  Please understand that anything I say is just MY opinion.

Do things go wrong all of the time?  A definate maybe.  The RV industry isn't quite like others.  The Pod that I purchased was, for the most part, good out of the box.  There were a couple of caulking issues that I fixed myself in the driveway.  Some have had more issues.  Most all RVs are not designed to be "lived in".  They have lighter weight, less durable materials materials in them.  For instance, most would agree that the matresses they use are a bad joke.  However, like your car, home, etc. there are things that require periodic maintenance, also.  RV because you WANT to RV.  It's kind of like marriage; you take the bitter with the sweet.

Regarding towing; this is a subject of periodic and sometimes heated debate.  My best advise is to get with a Ford dealer and let them tell you what your vehicle is capable of.  There is a big difference between weight capacity and what I call "towing resistance".  Wind resistance is HUGE with any travel trailer.  Last year, I was towing with a 3200lbs capacity vehicle - I hated it (though my Pod weighed only about 25-2600lbs.) 

Is Couch's for real?  Yes.  I purchased from them last year.  I drove to look at the Pods one weekend.  The following week, I bought one via the internet and phone.  The salesman was great to work with but, the one I worked with is no longer there.  They will sell you a Pod for the price + taxes, etc.  Forest River encourages you to "buy local" as only the selling dealer is OBLIGATED to provide warranty work.  However, most FR dealers seem to be receptive to doing work on units purchased elsewhere (they like the $$$).  A tactic some have used is to negotiate a price with a local dealer - using the Couch's price as leverage.  In this regard, you'll just have to decide what is best for you and who you want to do business with.

You are doing a good thing buy just being here, reading and asking questions.  Keep it up.  Smile
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm
As for buying from the local dealer, I went into the local dealer on the next to last day of the month, put my checkbook on the salesperson's desk and quoted a price based on my research on pricing. The salesperson went to his manager who came to the salesperson's office and saw my checkbook and the deal was done.  I offered the wholesale dealer's price plus the cost of the options that were not included in that price.  The deal closed at about $500 less than the local dealer's initial offer.

I only have to drive 30 miles for warranty work and I recommend my dealer as having great service. They treated my like I had just bought a $100K diesel pusher.  Their check out of the unit and their technical walk through was excellent.  They even let you spend the night in the unit on their premises to make sure you are satisfied with everything.

The dealer is LazyDays near Tampa FL.  This is why I only read and post on this forum!

We bought a Nissan Frontier V6 4x2 as our tow vehicle and have been extremely well satisfied with it.

R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:49pm

Like others have described, we went to a local dealer and negotiated a price that was very close to those-that-have-already-been-named, with all the same options (just about everything).  Definitely worth a try.

I wouldn't worry about issues - most campers no matter the maker or model need something fixed out of the gate, no different than a new house when you do the checkout walk-through with the builder.

Welcome!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Carol Sawka View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:57pm
Wow, thanks for all the help and information.  I have many questions answered.  Thanks again.  Carol
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:31am
There is a great dealer in Corpus Christi TX.  Would probably be closer than Ohio.  We bought our 176 there a month or so ago. The do a good job of making sure everything works when it rolls off the lot. They are on the internet and sell only Forest River Trailers.  You might check with them too. 
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 10:25am
Feel free to mention the dealer's name.  That's one of the benefits of this forum.  Wink
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 11:36am
AMEN to home dealers. You must do your home work to figure out what is a fair price then go to work with a dealer. I did what pop did i sat down with my dealer and said let's not insult each other this is what i want and what i will pay what is your thought cause i got things to do and hands to shake. He looked at me did the old got to talk to boss thing and i said hurry cause i have to eat lunch with my insulin. He came back in 5 minutes and said where is the check, which the wife already started to write. Home town dealers need support to also and i did not have to drive 600 miles to get it. You are doing the best thing ask questions and do your home work and then you are your own expert. You will also notice that a great number of podders here did not buy from Mr. C.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>