This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhello........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello........
    Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:13pm
I just joined this site.  My husband ordered an R Pod 190 a few weeks ago ........ I know the factory is  backlogged and hoping that it comes in for at least some camping this summer/fall but I'm not holding my breath.   I will be the one mostly using it...... a tad nervous as I've never RV'd before.  We have a 2021 VW Atlas tow vehicle.  Thanks for having me here....... I know I'll learn a lot from you all!   
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:54pm
Welcome and congratulations on your soon to own 190.  This is your 24/7 owners manual, lots of experienced podders here.  I have greatly benefited over the several years that I have been on this forum.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:47am
Welcome and don't be nervous. Just ask questions if you are unsure what to do, we all went thru it. I hope you get in a few trips this year, and enjoy being a podder. Good luck.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:56am
Welcome! 
Two years ago I bought a used rpod to use primarily by myself. Like you, I had no experience.  It's been a wonderful adventure; best thing I've ever done. I'm about tp travel to Maine and then across country and I learned everything I know right here on this forum (with much still to learn!)

I hope you have as much as I do.

Julie
Julie
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 11:28am
Welcome!

I hadn't towed anything in years when I bought my 180 (a 190 was second choice).  But, mine tows beautifully and every trip has been uneventful.  Part of that is preparation, and checking the RV carefully and part is the RV itself. 

I use a friction anti-sway control and don't need a weight distributing hitch.  You will need a trailer brake controller.  I went with an inertia based controller to have a nearly set and forget system.  I didn't want to be fussing with the trailer brakes.  This type costs more, but it's worth it to me. 

You will need to learn to be a gentle and calm driver, watching your speed and anticipating other traffic waay before they might do something. 

Your Atlas needs the 3.6l V-6 engine to tow a 190.  If you do it correctly, the measured weight (you really should take it to a scale and weigh it) of the trailer is subtracted from the tow rating and the rest is the weight you can carry in the Atlas (for people, fuel, cargo).  In my case, the Unloaded Vehicle Weight listed for my 180 was very close.  I have added 175 lbs of sheets, towels, dishes cables, hoses, pictures .... that have it ready to go sans water and food.  Remember, there is no reason you HAVE to tow the trailer at gross weight and the lighter, the better for fuel mileage, brakes, tires wear, etc. 

Be sure to go through the "owners manual" and do the pre-flight (fright?!) checks listed. 

I just got back from E KY for the flooding.  My 180 was perfect, except for that night it was below freezing and I ran out of propane at 2AM!   

R-pods are most excellent 1 or 2 person light weight campers.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply