R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Disconnect somewhere?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Disconnect somewhere?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:10am
I have the manufacture flexible solar panel on the roof of my RPod-190.  When I remove the battery, should I be concerned about power still in the wires because of the solar panel?  Is there a circuit breaker, or some disconnect that I should do before removing the battery?

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 10:00am
There should be a fuse or circuit breaker in the positive lead between the battery and your solar charge controller. You can disconnect that. In some installs that is omitted which is bad practice because if that wire gets shorted to ground the battery can feed hundreds of amps through it.

The solar module itself is current limited so if you have your solar module disconnected and you short it out all you'll get is a little spark. It's best for the charge controller though if you disconnect the solar module from it first before you take out the battery. Be sure to have shore power off as well.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:31am
Thanks Offgrid for your quick response.  I found which of the red and black wires connecting to the battery go to the Solar Panel inside the RPod.  Unfortunately, the red switch that RPod has now on the outside front of the RPod does not disconnect it.  By following the wire and crawling under the RPod, there is no fuse or breaker to disconnect it on the outside.  I have not started pulling things apart on the inside yet to continue following the wire.  I'm thinking about just cutting the wire near the battery, and adding my own fuse that I can just pull out to disconnect it when there is no battery attached.   
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:30pm
Yep, adding a fuse right at the battery positive on the wire going to the solar charge controller is a good idea. You an get either a bolt in fuse or an inline one. Fuses are intended to protect the wires so check the wire gauge and get the appropriate fuse size.

15A for 14 gauge
20A for 12
30A for 10
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply