R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBumper generator tray

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bumper generator tray
    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:54pm
I found what looks like a possible solution to my generator transportation issues. I have an SUV and really not much room for a generator. I also have a high percentage of tongue weight and could use some weight moved to the rear. So, I have been looking at options. 

The Mount-n-lock GennyGo generator rack looks interesting. With this rack and generator the total added weight would be around 92-112lb range with the larger generators I am considering. (3000-4000 watts). They also make a product to add support to the factory bumper, which helps with the added weight, "SafetyStruts Heavy Duty Bumper Brackets".

My other option would be a 2500w generator and soft start for the A/C, and this generator be transported in my SUV. But I really like the option above for the extra wattage, and for the reason of not taking up space in the SUV. 

Anyone care to share your thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

2021 R-pod 196
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 4:15pm
Does your r-pod have the square bumper? My 171 does not.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:24pm
It won't work. The RPods do not have a square rear bumper to which it could be clamped. The stock factory hitch won't take that kind of stress. You don't want your generator bouncing down the highway.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:27pm
Podwerkz,

Yes, I have a square 4"x4" bumper. It is welded to the frame.
2021 R-pod 196
Bounder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by StephenH

It won't work. The RPods do not have a square rear bumper to which it could be clamped. The stock factory hitch won't take that kind of stress. You don't want your generator bouncing down the highway.

While I would always be VERY cautious about putting much weight on it, my 2021 196 has a square rear bumper of the industry standard size. It's how it is attached to the rather minimal rear frame that give me pause...
Bounder
2021 196 Hood River
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:04pm
Okay. I stand corrected. What does the documentation or label for the bumper say about weight capacity? I have not seen the 196, so I can't say. My 179 does not have a square bumper. It has no bumper, just the hitch and spare tire carrier mounted in it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 6:45am
There is more to the weight issue than just balancing tongue weight or having a sufficiently strong bumper. The trailer frame itself is not engineered to add heavy stuff back there. I checked the loading calcs and it's weakest point is the rear of the axle attachment bracket. It is quite marginal as it is, and at least one member here has had a frame failure at that point.

I have an SUV and keep my generator in a cookies sheet in the cargo area, as far forward as possible. Works fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 7:10am
I could chose to remove certain items from the TV to create space. But, that is just one of the issues. When dry camping in a parking lot overnight, I may need the generator to run the A/C, and the only way to get to it would be to unhook the trailer in order to open the rear hatch. Not sure I want to do this in a parking lot, or for a one night stay. I just can't imagine that the rear structure of the 196 will not support another 100lbs. I do realize that the 100lbs would create more force over bumps, but the COG of the added load would only be 5" past the bumper. The frame appears to be made of 4x2 square steel, and the bumper 4x4. But I'm sure it is fairly thin metal. 

There are no stickers about a suggested weight or weight limit on the bumper.
2021 R-pod 196
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 7:51am
Because there isn't a sticker doesn't mean there aren't limits, of course there are.

The frame is a cantilever structure supported by the axle attachment There is in addition a moment applied by the torsion axle at that same point. So when your trailer axle goes over a bump you get the combination of the two trying to bend the frame at that spot.

I did the load calcs on the frame and torsion axle loads (with nothing additional on the bumper) and got a safety factor under 2g at yield. 2g is not much of a bump load, most guidance is to design for around 3g or even higher. Rpods are lightly constructed, to be generous. The calcs were posted a couple of years back, you could do a search for then if you wanted to. And we have had one at least failin bending there.

That was for the 179, don't know what it would be for your trailer. Of course, you can do what you want, just be aware of the risk involved. Or, you can reinforce the frame in the axle attachment area, I've been v thinkig about doing that myself.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 9:04am
look at a product called 'Jack E Up".  I have used one for several years.  It allows one to take the trailer jack off of the front and allows the tailgate to open.  One can also step across the tongue easier .  Jack stores in the compartment when underway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>