R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBumper generator tray

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bumper generator tray
    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 9:16am
Thanks for the opinions and comments, not sure what I will do, just researching and thinking through things.

Looks like the 196 has a 5" C channel frame that runs the the entire length. It could be a box frame, not sure since the bottom is enclosed, but I would doubt that FR would use box tubing. With the rear kitchen and pantry area, maybe the frame is a little more robust in that area? I know these models did not exist more than a couple years ago, so maybe there have been some changes over time.

I do have a welder and have the ability to do some welding, but would rather not, at my age these things are harder to do. 

Thanks again!
2021 R-pod 196
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:39am
I think that FR gets the frames made by Lippert. At least they used to.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Dengle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 6:58am
Originally posted by offgrid

I have an SUV and keep my generator in a cookies sheet in the cargo area, as far forward as possible. Works fine.

offgrid: I enjoy reading and following your posts since having a 2015 Rpod 179 towed by a 2020 Grand Jeep Cherokee (6cyl) w/trailer package (having a 6200 tow capacity), somewhat exceeding your SUV Highlander. I have an inverter generator (50 pounds) and also have concerns re tongue weight. Question 1: What do you mean by generator in/on a cookie sheet within the cargo area of your Highlander? 2. What's a cookie sheet? 3. What about smell of gasoline should the generator be within the SUV or positioned in trailer near tongue? 4. You're a boondocker - Do you carry a small portable fuel can for gasoline? If so, where do you carry it? 5. Perhaps not tongue weight, I intend removing bicycle front wheels (2 bikes) and carrying in SUV cargo area. Yes, I have a Fastway E2 Equalizer Hitch. Haven't carried this stuff before and am cautious. Without these items, the trailer pulls nice and quite doable with the SUV, as you often say about your Highlander.
2015 Rpod 179
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee,V6
w/tow package
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:37am
Thanks Dengle.

A cookie sheet or pan is a just a flat aluminum pan with a little lip used to bake cookies. It will catch any oil drips from the generator, it also provides a slippery surface so it's easy to slide the generator around in the back of the SUV. I side it to the front of the cargo area and strap it.

I solve the stinky gas and gas can problem by not using gasoline. I converted my Honda 2k to propane and run that. There is already propane on the tongue so one less thing to drag around. You can carry a second propane cylinder as well if you want to. Engine burns clean and carb never gets gummed up.

I think you should be fine with your tow vehicle, but I always suggest you load everything up and get actual weights to compare with your specs. That way you have a known good baseline to work from. If you do a search I have written up a procedure to do that at a public scale, and a link to an online calculator which will keep track of all your limiting weights as well as let you play with your wdh settings. Often as a taxpayer you can get your weights for free at your county waste transfer station.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dengle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:57am
offgrid: Thanks for reply. Yes, I know a cookie sheet. I now recall you converting your generator to propane. Forgot about that post. I cannot do with my Westinghouse iGen2600 received as gift. Re my gasoline question: I thought about a one gallon, quality metal can mounted next to the single battery on the tongue. Strapped securely, I don't see a problem. I'm in a dilemma where to put the generator. Not on the rear bumper for sure. Comments?
2015 Rpod 179
w/tow package
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Colonel Podder

Thanks for the opinions and comments, not sure what I will do, just researching and thinking through things.
Looks like the 196 has a 5" C channel frame that runs the the entire length. It could be a box frame, not sure since the bottom is enclosed, but I would doubt that FR would use box tubing. With the rear kitchen and pantry area, maybe the frame is a little more robust in that area? I know these models did not exist more than a couple years ago, so maybe there have been some changes over time.
I do have a welder and have the ability to do some welding, but would rather not, at my age these things are harder to do. 
Thanks again!

The mid sized rpods use a 4x2X0.1 inch box tube. Box tubes are a very strong shape which lets FR get away with using such a thin wall. But it's really quite marginal, and attaching a torsion axle to it doesn't help. A leaf spring axle would put much less bending stress on it.

The important figure of merit for calculating beam stress is the section modulus which is 1.22 in^3 for the 4x2 box tube. Bigger is better and it's linear, meaning that if you double the section modulus the stress is cut in half. If you wanted to compare that to the 5 inch C channel you would need to know the flange depth and thickness. Then you could use this calculator:

https://amesweb.info/section/c-channel-section-properties-calculator.aspx

Of course the 196 is a bigger heavier trailer which needs a stronger shape just to carry it's load, so you wouldn't get to take all of any additional frame capacity to support stuff hanging off the rear.

What I would do to reinforce the frame at the axle attachment on my 179 is to remove the 3.5 inch riser and weld on about 3 ft sections of the same 4x2 tube under the existing tube. That way I'd end up at about the same height but with a much stronger frame (about 4x stronger actually) at that weakest spot. The stresses drop off quickly to the front and rear of the axle attachment so there's no need to run the reinforcement very far.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 4:55pm
Stromberg-Carlsen Trailer Tray is a good option for the smaller generators. Not so for the larger ones. They are too big and heavy to lift up to there.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Dengle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:12pm
[QUOTE=StephenH] Stromberg-Carlsen Trailer Tray is a good option for the smaller generators...

StephenH: Trailer Tray is remaining option. Its weight is 63 pounds. With generator and one gallon gas can, we're looking at 125 approx. My Fastway 92-00-0600 e2 Trunnion Hitch rated at 600 pounds would allow if trailer loaded properly. Offgrid (I think) once posted the liking of about 500 pounds tongue weight on his Highlander tow vehicle. With a single battery and 20 pound size propane tank, perhaps this is feasible. Thanks.
2015 Rpod 179
w/tow package
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:15am
Dengle, before adding a generator and rack on the tongue you should get the tongue weight of what you have already. That should include full propane and water in the fresh water tank if you plan to carry that. With water in my fwt and water heater, a single full propane cylinder, and my (very heavy) dual batteries, I had to remove everything heavy from my storage compartment and shift other supplies rearward to get my tongue weight down to 500 lbs, which is my Hilanders max.

Your Grand Cherokee is probably rated for 620 lbs (most are set at 10% of max trailer weight) but check your manual.

Almost all the generator and rack weight is going to get added to the tongue weight so once you have your current tongue weight you can calculate about where you'd end up

Your wdh doesn't change any of your max vehicle ratings, but it needs to be able to the loads put on it, which includes both the trailer tongue and stuff it's lifting in the back of the Jeep, so I think 600 lbs is going to wind up being a bit too light for what you are considering. But wait and see what your tongue weight is.

There are a couple of ways to get your tongue weight. One is to buy a tongue scale, Sherline makes the one mist folks here use. Or you can go through a public scale, once with and once without the trailer, and subtract the Jeep total weight from the second weighing from the combined weight of the Jeeps two axles (trailer axle not on the scale) from the first run. Be sure your wdh is untensioned or it will throw off your measurements. Leave it on the Jeep for the second run, and put the bars in the back of the Jeep.

On other caution. While the weakest place on the trailer frame is just behind the axle, the second weakest is right about where the a frame attaches to the frame rails. It's not as close there so you have some headroom, but adding extra load at that point, whether batteries, water, generator, or yanking down on the frame with the wdh bars all add up and at some point that will become a problem area too. Basically rpods are lightly constructed trailers and there's no real good place to add heavy stuff to them without having issues.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:19am
This is the stress point OG refers to. I can attest to it being real!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>