R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Question
    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:41pm
We have a 2020 rPod that we'll be taking camping soon.  I have a simple but very pertinent question.  
When boondocking, I believe that the proper sequence of events is to first unplug the power cord from the generator - then start the generator and let it warm up a bit - then plug the power cord into the generator.  
I've heard that leaving the power cord plugged into the generator and starting it can put a strain on the electrical system?
If this is the case . .  then my next question would be whether turning everything off inside the camper first, then starting the generator with the power cord plugged in would be OK?  
We have a remote-start generator and it would be great to start the generator from 75' away, letting it warm up a bit, then turning on the coffee pot and any other electrical appliances we would need. 

Thanks
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:33pm
If you turn off the main 30A breaker, that should do the trick. That does not have a remote, so you will need to go to the power panel to do that manually.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:57pm
It may not be best practice, but as a practical matter, you don't have to start the generator at zero load.  I would not recommend starting it with air conditioner and/or the coffee maker on, but you should be fine starting it with a few lights and the converter on.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
dasbryant View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 5:54am
Thanks for the responses, guys.

The A/C definitely wouldn't be on, nor any other appliances.
The only appliances that would be on would be one or two ceiling lights. 
My CPAP runs off the inverter, so I'd be sure to switch that off first.  
Hit the remote for the Generator, let it warm up for a few minutes, then start the coffee pot. 
Sounds like a plan . . . 

Thanks again. 
Hardwear Hank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 8:00am
Some generators will over speed on start up until the engine governor retards the RPM to operating speed. During this short interval you run the risk of a short spike in voltage. This event is in some of the lower cost units, better unit control this start up spike electronically.
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:51pm
When in doubt, refer to your owners manual. All will direct you to remove all electrical loads before starting . Pulling the plug is simple enough. Starting under load can result in damage to generator or equipment on the trailer.
GMan
Lil' Bumpy - RPod 180
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by dasbryant

We have a 2020 rPod that we'll be taking camping soon.  I have a simple but very pertinent question.  
When boondocking, I believe that the proper sequence of events is to first unplug the power cord from the generator - then start the generator and let it warm up a bit - then plug the power cord into the generator.  
I've heard that leaving the power cord plugged into the generator and starting it can put a strain on the electrical system?
If this is the case . .  then my next question would be whether turning everything off inside the camper first, then starting the generator with the power cord plugged in would be OK?  
We have a remote-start generator and it would be great to start the generator from 75' away, letting it warm up a bit, then turning on the coffee pot and any other electrical appliances we would need. 

Thanks

You have it right. It's the same as the generator we have at home. No load start. Be sure there's no appliances on and awaiting (again, just like at home) to cause an immediate surge (or worst spark as you plug in).

Your assumption and caution is correct! 

Safe Travels!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:09pm
What would work is if there were some way to connect a relay that would start with the load disconnected and then power on after it is on and  stable. I don't know if such a device exists, but if so, that would be great.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by StephenH

What would work is if there were some way to connect a relay that would start with the load disconnected and then power on after it is on and  stable. I don't know if such a device exists, but if so, that would be great.

Capacitors! Want to build one? There amazing little things that do so much. a capacitor bank at proper amperage would allow hard draw to hit the mains, yet be softened until capacity has reached.

We've talked about this before as to what a 'soft-start/Easy-start' is! Basically a capacitor bank. 

Ever wondered why a MPPT works when a cloud passes by? Ya, very cool little items..
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:59pm
I would have to disagree that an EasyStart is a capacitor. It may contain one or more, but it also has a microprocessor as it learns the starting pattern of the compressor so it will work when on mains power or when it is using a generator. It has to be "trained."

I tried a hard-start capacitor, and sure enough, it made the AC hard to start. The EasyStart is worlds different. View the video on the Micro-Air site and you will see what I mean.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>