R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Porch Light Out after LED Strip Light Install Fail
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPorch Light Out after LED Strip Light Install Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TeamRPod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porch Light Out after LED Strip Light Install Fail
    Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 10:46am
Resistance is futile indeed, I am going red today to keep the Zombies out

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:23am
OH OH!!! Regeneration Alcove/Pod!

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 6:24pm
Resistance is futile...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:22pm
And here I was thinking it was Borg green. LOL
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TeamRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:33am
Zombie Green (or Red) it shall be! As my blue lights only work up to the stairs where my strip light got damaged. 

My lights are back online, but do need to redo the porch light seal. It seems like it was plumbers putty and so I'll use some that I have on hand.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:38am
That green LED glow just screams 'ZOMBIE POD'.....all you need is a few radioactive logos and you're all set!

Tongue

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:47am
A good cord for running in an exposed location is type SO cable. It's fine stranded so really flexible but has a robust jacket on it and is also oil resistant. Used mostly for wiring industrial equipment but pretty common, if you can't get it at the big box you can order it cut to length online.

The problem with your business idea as with many others is trying to get enough customers who are willing to pay more for quality work. Not so easy in our disposable society.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TeamRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:18am
Preach OG - good advice there and good for all to hear.

Given the age of my pod/work done I wondered early on just how to code all my wiring is. I am new to trailers just 6 months in so don't have much to compare what I see to. Seeing all the wiring running on the floor under the slide certainly doesn't look clean and tight nor does the wiring in most of places I can see it.  I suspected having dual 12/120V only posed greater risk/complications.

I know my lamp cord is not for outdoor use and heck should presume little of what I see is to code. My seller never mentioned those lights and wonder if that was not a coincidence. I did try to get an electrician out for a checkup when I bought it and the companies i called don't service trailers. Local trailer service dealers had a 4 month backlog on service and kind of doubted that I would have a certified electrician doing the work even if I booked the appt. Heh, a new business idea...

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:15am
Glad you got it figured out. Looks kewl.

A couple of things.

First, just because it's 12V not 120V folks tend to take lots of rube goldberg shortcuts in wiring RVs. That's why there are so many problems up to and including electrical fires in RV 12V systems. Batteries can produce plenty of current to burn up wiring, same as shore power.

The national electric code requirements are pretty much the same for 12V and 120V, and your rpods factory wiring should already meet those specs.

The strip light installation doesn't. Lamp cord isn't listed for outdoor use, it's insulation isn't robust enough, and any time a cable is run through a hole that can chafe the insulation you should use a cable gland or bushing to protect it, same as you would if it was 120Vac. The stuff needed should be readily available at your local big box.

On the fuse question. The fuses in your panel are meant to protect the wires running through the trailer, not the end load devices. If those need a smaller fuse that should be provided at the device. Again it's just like in your 120V household circuit, you might have a 15A breaker in your home panel and an appliance might have a dedicated 10A fuse.

So if the light circuit panel fuse is 15A it means those wires are good for at least 15A. If the strip light requires 10A then it needs it's own 10A fuse. Should say so in the installation instructions if it does.

Adding that fuse in a big wad of electrical tape in a hidden location is just dumb, I'd suggest getting an nice sealed inline fuse holder and relocating it just upstream from the lights where it's easy to find next time.

Moral of the story, like everything in life, there is a right and a wrong way to do things, and it's not much if any more difficult to do it right the first time.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TeamRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:13pm

I figured I would post a picture before I damage the strip tacking it down proper. Yes that's a tupperware lid cough junction box cover on the ground.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>