R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTacoma Vs Ridgeline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tacoma Vs Ridgeline
    Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:49pm
We are about to become new 192 R pod owners and have to buy a tow vehicle. We are considering a used Toyota Tacoma or Ridgeline and wonder if people have any advice/experiences to share. 
Thanks, Annette and Gary
Annettegary
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 3:43am
Mistake number one here seems to be trying to tow too much trailer with too little tow vehicle. Either folks end up with an unsafe borderline or overweight rig or they have to leave batteries, water, gear, and toys at home. No fun.

The max gross weight of that trailer is about 4800 lbs. Your tongue weight will also probably be well over 600 lbs when you're loaded. And you need to leave capacity for gear and passengers in the truck. So a 5000 lb rated Ridgeline is much too light. A max tow rated Taco (I think it's 6800 lbs) would be OK but that would be the minimum I think.

Also consider a full size pickup. That would be a more comfortable tow, and many models get very good fuel economy nowadays not towing. Your fuel economy towing is going to be around 12-14 mpg regardless of what tow vehicle you get, so a big fuel tank is a plus especially if you like exploring more remote areas.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 7:21am
+1 to offgrid. I would also like to add, just in case, to ensure you purchase vehicle with a heavy duty tow pkg from the factory. It can be costly to try and upgrade after you buy it. Any other questions, lots of info available here already and questions are welcome!
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:03am
Annette & Gary, I posted this in response to your Highlander v. Pathfinder posting where the same question was posed:

Annette and Gary, please compare the gross vehicle weight of the trailer and the towing capacity of the vehicles you are considering to see if they are within the limits of towing capacity.  If you look in the archives, you will see lots of points of view, but the folks who have engineering experience all seem to recommend giving yourselves a reasonable margin of safety in staying somewhat below the TV's towing capacity.  The trailer you are proposing has a gross vehicle weight of around 4800 lbs, so a towing capacity of 5000 lbs would not really give you much of a margin of safety.  You may want something that can handle 6000 or 7000 lbs. in towing capacity.  

If you check the archives, you can find OG's link to a towing capacity calculator which is very helpful in determining if the vehicle you tow with, or want to tow with, can safely handle the load.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
AnnetteGary View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:13am
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think we will go with the more powerful vehicle. So good to have this forum to ask!
Thanks, Annette and Gary
Annettegary
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:03am
Good but it's not really about power. The Ridgeline and Taco have good power. It's about handing the weight.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 4:39pm
The other consideration for these two particular vehicles is the use of a WDH. I know the Tacoma can handle a WDH, but I'm not certain about the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline is unibody construction, which is in itself OK, but makes for some specific requirements WRT use of a WDH. The area where the hitch attaches must be reinforced properly in order to take the torque of a WDH. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 5:38pm
Good point GlueGuy. From what I read the gen1 Ridgeline recommends against using a wdh, the Gen2 manual doesn't mention it. So it would be OK to use one on a Gen2 Ridgeline, but the 192 is too much trailer for a Ridgeline anyway.

Personally I really like the distinctive look of the Gen1 Ridgeline and wouldn't mind having one, but I think I'll stick with my Highlander which allows wdh use. The Gen2 Ridgeline looks like any other pickup to me.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
AnnetteGary View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 5:49pm
Thanks so much for all the good advice. It's pretty clear that the Ridgeline (which looks like a nice ride) is not the best vehicle for towing a 192. 

Thanks 
Annettegary
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 11:32am
We tow 2016 189 with G2 Ridgeline just fine, without any mods. Very comfortable ride.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>