R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhow to change a trailer tire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to change a trailer tire
    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 3:44pm
At any rate, carry something to remove and re-install the lug nuts. I use a plain ol' 4 way lug wrench: Breaks the nuts loose, spins 'em off and spins 'em on. 

Can also be used to lever/lift the tire and wheel up so that the holes match up to the studs. Easy peezy.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 4:06pm
I would love it if someone would post a picture of exactly where to place a jack on a 195/196.  I'm terrified of breaking the Pod.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 4:25pm
Right under the axle bracket or flange near the frame.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 4:36pm
Our torque wrench works fine for emergencies.  It has a lockable position that doesn't affect the torque measurement.  It's not as though we are taking wheels off and on on a frequent basis.  If it happens once a year that would be a lot.  Given the desire to minimize tools and weight in the tool box, there is little point in carrying unneeded tools.  At home a breaker bar is available and is used.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 5:41pm
I would add a BIG MAYBE as to whether the bottle jack will work. Ask me how I know!!
We had a flat tire and had a bottle jack.  However, with 14" tires and it being flat, the bottle jack was too high to fit under the pod axle flange.  Luckily, a highway safety truck stopped and used a floor jack and we were on our way.  We stopped at the next town with a Harbor Freight and bought a low profile 3 ton floor jack for about $65.  it lives in the pod and is much easier to deal with than a bottle jack. There are several other small floor jacks available. the handles come off and they store flat, weigh less than 20# and are great for flats as well as routine tire/brake maintenance.

One additional safety precaution that hasn't been mentioned--leave the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle , engage the parking brake and block the trailer tire that is still good. You do not want in movement of the trailer while it is supported by a jack
vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Hardwear Hank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 6:03pm
Strongly agree...
chasl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 2:34pm
thanks to all for the ideas and advice. I may purchase that short floor jack. I haven't crawled under with the bottle jack to see what might happen, but will do so. 
cl
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 4:03pm
Tire inflated, bottle jack works. Tire flat, it is very iffy whether there is enough clearance. A small floor jack is better, even though it takes up a bit more room. I gave up on using the car jack when the one we had in the Escape bent while trying to lift the RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 5:50pm
If your bottle jack is too tall when the tire is too flat, just put your leveling blocks (or a 2x6 board or similar) in position behind the flat tire, and back the trailer up so that the flat tire and rim are lifted enough...a couple of inches will do it. Once you have the axle raised, and pull the flat off, move the leveling blocks out of the way, then proceed to mount the spare.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 12:05pm
Just changed a tire after a cross-country trip, swapping the spare for the right side tire.  A couple of things I noticed and am very glad this didn't happen on the road:  

After our return, I bought a 20 ton bottle low profile bottle jack [way overkill] from Amazon [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E2P012G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1] that has a 6.5" unextended height.  It was super easy to use and fit nicely under the axle leaf spring in my case for an easy tire change.  It'd be a good idea to check the clearance, subtracting for the deflated tire, to see if it'd work on your trailer.  

The second thing I learned is that the nuts that hold the tire on the rack on the back aren't necessarily the same size as the lug nuts.  In my case 3/4" for the lug nuts and 13/16" for the tire mount.  If I had been out on the road, I wouldn't have been able to get the spare off the mount.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12