R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Monitor wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Monitor wiring
    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 9:36am
I've done a battery upgrade on my 2021.5 195 and want to run battery monitor wires monitor from the wall inside the door (across from the fridge) back to the battery.  Want to keep the gauges all together.  My unit has corrugated plastic on the under carriage and I'm aware of what a pain it is to remove it (previous fix on the water tank hose) so looking for some wiring advice.  Any thoughts on how to run the battery monitor wires?  Wall, side, ceiling, snake it down to the top of the corrugated, etc.?  I'm thinking that my solar controller already has its wires from this location back to the battery but not sure their path back.  Just need some advice on a possible approach with minimal removal of the underside corrugated. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 9:42am
It might not be necessary to run wires to the battery for your monitor to work.

If you pick up the battery voltage say at the panel for example that should be fine. For battery current measurements it would be useful to know what make and model batt monitor you have.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:25am
Thanks.  The manufacturer recommends that the shunt be mounted on the battery negative at the battery, then all other negatives on the other side of the shunt.  But your idea would make it easier.

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 1:11pm
Yes, if you have a shunt (amps in/out or 'coulomb counter') then that does need to be mounted at the battery negative terminal...normally.

I would mount the display wherever the shortest run and easiest mounting surface would be. 

If that is near a door or window or near the converter, then so be it. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 2:22pm
Ok, you have a monitor with a shunt that goes in the negative leg. Good.

The shunt needs to be mounted in the negative leg at any point between the battery negative post and the first place a load or source is connected. That way it can measure all the current in and out of the battery.

So if you say have a solar charge controller connected at the battery terminals then yes the shunt would need to be mounted there and the negative conductor to the controller relocated to the side of the shunt away from the battery.

If the first place anything is connected to the negative lead from the battery is at the panel then you can mount the shunt there.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 3:34pm
Thanks for the feedback.  Looking for some specific details on running the wires.  I do understand how to wire the battery monitor but how to get the wires fished from point A to point B is my challenge.  Any thoughts on how to run the battery monitor wires?  Wall, side, ceiling, snake it down to the top of the corrugated, etc.?  I'm thinking that my solar controller already has its wires from this location back to the battery but not sure their path back.  Just need some advice on a possible approach with minimal removal of the underside corrugated. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 3:42pm
Can't help you with those specifics, I have a 179 so the routing is different and there is no underside covering material in the way. Maybe someone with the same trailer might be able to help.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:51am
I ran my battery monitor cable inside the wiring loom.  Yes, it took some time but I wanted a good installation that I did only once.

My shunt is mounted inside the battery box next to the batteries and alongside my MPPT solar controller and battery switch.

You can see pics of my battery box if you do a search on my username.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:36am
Reviewed the pictures, thanks. Similar (but much nicer) to my double 6V setup.  Where does the wiring loom start and end?  Did you fish wire through it, or open it and lay the wire into it?
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:47am
It has been a while, but I picked up(from amazon) a small digital voltmeter dial  and switch.  the supplied idiot lights in the wall slip out easily and reveal the wiring.  I picked a lead that measured battery voltage and hooked the new meter and switch to it, then poked a hole in the wall above the idiot light to mount the new gauge.  Been working fine for about 3 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>