R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarting fridge on propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting fridge on propane
    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 5:55pm
Could you safely leave your R-Pod at a friends house for a day or two before you leave?  At least that way you could run the fridge off your new battery and make sure everything is working satisfactory before leaving.  Sorry to hear about the thievery going on - a sign of our society unfortunately.

Not a good idea to block the airflow from your vents, after ignition/firing of gas at the combustion chamber, heat goes up through your chimney, air temp increases behind the fridge, your bi-metal switch engages causing your muffin fan (s) to kick on and commence the cooling process.  If vents are covered, the above will still happen but the fans will not be allowed to bring in cool air from below and expel the hot air from above causing the cooling ability to be severely restricted.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:00pm
It would be a bad idea to start the refrigerator with the cover on because it would block the needed airflow. You could put a chain around the battery with a lock. That would help. Is the battery bare or in a case? You could check out version 1 and version 2 of the battery lock-down system I made. Now I don't use it because the LiFePO4 battery I installed is inside and out of sight.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:10pm
I had a feeling it would be a bad idea to leave the cover on.

I can’t really take the trailer to a friends house because that’s not an option. I do have the battery in a case and I have a locking cable on it but it won’t hold up the ball cutters. I put it together that way basically to keep someone from taking it while in route.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:18pm
The purpose of a lock is not to make it impossible for someone to steal the battery, but to make it inconvenient enough that the thief decides to look elsewhere.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:18pm
It should work ok to install the battery in the morning. Then start the fridge on propane so it cools down as fast as possible. Not on 12v which provides much less cooling effectiveness. There is very little thermal mass in the fridge box and components, it's mostly in the food and liquids so if you put those in cold you should be ok. Might want to put in the battery temporarily a couple days before for a half hour or so to be sure the fridge and everything else is working as it should.

When I had my airplane I used to keep an rv in at a mountain airport and flew in, turned on the fridge, went to the store, put in cold drinks and groceries, and went camping. Worked fine and saved many hours of tedious driving.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12