R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarting fridge on propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting fridge on propane
    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 2:52pm
Hey all, we have since moved to a mobile home park and we are going to be taking our RPOD 180 out for the first time in over a year, now that both my wife and I are fully vaccinated against Covid. The trailer is stored in the storage lot of the mobile home park and there is no electricity available there.

I really don’t want to pull it in front of my mobile home to plug-in because I don’t want a big red flag that says ‘I’m going on vacation!’ Question: can I start the fridge on propane to cool it down and leave it sit in the storage lot and then load up and hitch up from there?

Will it take any longer to cool down on propane vs 110?
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:29pm
What you propose is an excellent idea.  Actually the fridge will cool down quicker using propane vs. shore power.  We normally allow 24 hours to totally cool the fridge down but have cut that in 1/2 by adding a few ice blocks (or similar) when cooling down.  Put in both freezer and fridge.  Also when adding your food make sure it is already cooled down from your fridge at home (but you likely already knew that).  Just covering the bases.

Also, check your 12v battery and make sure it is at least 12.72v to begin with.  The fridge uses very little 12v power but it is necessary to power the mother board/display panel.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:33pm
One caveat though. Make sure you have a fully charged battery. If it has been sitting unused (unless you have a battery disconnect or you removed a terminal) the battery is likely discharged. The refrigerator needs 12V power to run the electronics and to light the flame (no pilot light, but electric ignition). If the battery is charged, then you will be okay for a few days if the battery is fully charged to start.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by StephenH

One caveat though. Make sure you have a fully charged battery. If it has been sitting unused (unless you have a battery disconnect or you removed a terminal) the battery is likely discharged. The refrigerator needs 12V power to run the electronics and to light the flame (no pilot light, but electric ignition). If the battery is charged, then you will be okay for a few days if the battery is fully charged to start.

Didn't think of this until now I guess because we usually boondock.  Does the electric ignition of the RM 8501 fridge only work off the 12v battery or would it also function off 120v shore power?
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:41pm
Remember that the 120V AC shore power is being converted to 12V DC power which the refrigerator and other things like the water heater need to work. So, it will work if shore power is available. However, the OP said that shore power was not available in the storage lot.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:50pm
Good to hear you are all vaccinated up and ready to begin to pod! Now I can't answer your question directly as we are awaiting our 192. But, from what I have noted as I have perused many of the discussions here I will try to touch on some important points to help you out.

First, is your trailer level? It must be less than 3 degrees away from level for the propane flame to operate the system properly...damage can quickly occur to your trailer fridge cooling system if it is at more of a tilt than that (damage may occur in as quickly as 15 or 20 minutes from what I have researched).

2nd, is your TT battery(s) fully charged? If it doesn't have a solar panel and charge controller on it and you haven't brought your battery(s) home to charge for an extended period of time (or even a few days if you have no battery isolation switch on your TT), your battery(s) may be low or discharged. And you need battery power to operate your fridge on propane and for it to last until you hook up to leave.

So, if all is good so far I would say you would be able to use your propane to precool your fridge, as long as you don't precool it for a week, and I don't think that is your plan.

From prior experience and also again from other posts her on the forum, make sure you are only putting things in your fridge/freezer that are already cool/frozen. Don't try to use the trailer fridge/freezer to cool or freeze items, you may be asking too much from it! Make sure it is all cold before putting it in before you go.

Hope this has helped and you have a great trip!

ANDY

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 4:28pm
I always start my 'fridge on gas the day before I leave and switch to battery on the road.  I believe the owner's manual (such as it is) tells you to do that.  There is enough power available through my 7 circuit trailer wiring to maintain the battery.  This works quite well. 

I use a simple solar panel/controller to maintain my battery in storage. 

Controller
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q820UK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Panel
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IFJ73X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i have a battery disconnect.  A larger panel, or a sunnier location and this system would keep the battery up without a disconnect. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 4:32pm
Thanks all. I need to buy a new battery because even though I’ve been putting the trickle charger on my original deep cycle battery it no longer holds a charge anymore. I noticed that last year when I tried to move the trailer and the battery wouldn’t operate the power lift. So I need to get a new battery at work. Luckily we are an AC Delco distributor and I can get an M 27 Marine battery at cost. I guess I will install a battery this coming weekend and start the fridge. I know some people have had maintenance issues when their pods have sat for a long time and the fridge won’t light. Is there anything I should clean or look at before hand? Thanks all.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 5:09pm
Have you installed screens over your two vents on the rear side of your fridge?  If not it would be highly recommended to purchase a can of compressed air and blow out the spot around the combustion area as well as up the cooling stack, from below, as well as from the top of the cooling stack, shooting air down.  It only takes a small spider web or bee nest or other debris to cause the fridge to perform less than optimal or not at all.

If things look pretty clean behind your fridge then try to light it with your new group size 27 battery and make sure you have some propane in your tank and that it is turned on as well.  If it lights after one or a few attempts, you should be good to go.
God's pod
'11 model 177
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 5:21pm
Haven’t put any screens in, but that’s a good idea. I’ll get the compressed air and try that. I’m sure there’s bugs up in there. They’re everywhere.

Kind of hesitant to install the battery on Sunday, the day before the trip, because the storage yard is fairly dark and there have been problems with theft. Just last week I came over and found the both my storage compartment doors had been opened and some of my stuff thrown on the ground and everything rifled through. Doesn’t look like they stole anything, but I’m having a locksmith come out today to replace the universal locks with better key locks including replacing the thumb locks with key locks.

The last thing I want to do is install a $130 battery and then have it stolen that night! I might just do it Monday morning and put all of our food into an ice chest in the back of the truck until we get up into the redwoods.

I have a cover over the trailer, but I’m thinking I should remove that before I start the fridge because I don’t want to block airflow. It would hide the battery on the tongue though. Can I start the fridge on propane first and then remove the cover of the following day? Or is that a bad idea?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>