R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Tank Flush Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Tank Flush Problem
    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 5:15pm
Hi All,
We took our second trip in our 2021 RPod 195 last week. This was the first time that I've attempted to use the Black Tank Flush. Because the dump station water hose didn't have a threaded end, I thought to improvise by using the water in my fresh water tank jumpered from the external spray hose outlet to the Black Tank Flush inlet (the outlet is just above the inlet in the passenger side).

Our dump hose has one of those clear elbows allowing us to see the presence of flow. After I dumped the black tank and observed the flow trickle down to nothing, I then turned on the 12v water pump expecting to see a new trickle of increasingly fresh water through the elbow, but as far as I can tell, there was no flow at all. I disconnected the jumper hose from the Black Tank Flush inlet and verified there was ample flow and pressure coming form the Spray Hose outlet.

Is there some sort of back flow preventer between the Black Tank Flush inlet and the black tank? Does it require more pressure than the on-board 12v pump can produce? Or perhaps, did Forest River install the valve backwards?

If I need to service the Black Tank Flush between the inlet and the tank, does anyone know how I can access the connections from inside or under the trailer? Perhaps by removing a cover at the bottom of the bathroom sink, or under the shower?

Thanks,

R & M
2021 R-Pod 195
1999 Ford F250 SD
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:05pm
It is possible that the vacuum break/check valve was installed backward. Does it work when you try it with a hose connected directly from a faucet? 

We don't have a spray port. Is it possible that the spray port hose got kinked or some other sort of issue in the hose between the spray port and the black water flush port? We don't have a spray port. The onboard pump can put out a good pressure as you have likely observed from your faucets. 

If there is a problem, your RPod is 2021 so it should be in warranty. Get some assistance from your dealer. It beats you tearing things apart.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DonRP180 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:23am
Based on my experiences with our RP180, there's no way the on-board water pump is going to build enough pressure and/or volume to drive that black tank cleanout. Even with a solid hose connection at the campground dump station, if the water pressure or volume is low, it does not work well. 

Everything is probably just fine with your unit. Hook it up to a water source with good volume and pressure to be sure. 
Don
2018 RP180
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:30am
In the meantime pour a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water down the commode when emptying the black tank.  Do that even if you have a threaded hose and can properly utilize the flush port.  I always combine the two techniques and it seems to totally clean things out.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
 Post Reply Post Reply